Gym within a salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxie20

Reaction score
I know there are several threads on here about renting a room within a salon, but I have the opposite question.......I have a large room to rent within my salon and a potential customer has come to me wanting to turn my spare room into an up market mini ladies gym only (power plates etc). Can any one tell if I need a licence for this and also what sort of insurance would be required?
Thanks for any help.

I know there are several threads on here about renting a room within a salon, but I have the opposite question.......I have a large room to rent within my salon and a potential customer has come to me wanting to turn my spare room into an up market mini ladies gym only (power plates etc). Can any one tell if I need a licence for this and also what sort of insurance would be required?
Thanks for any help.

Hi, wouldn't the renter have to do all the insurance and everything ?

Yes, of course I expect them to carry out all their own research regarding insurance etc however I too would like to know any aspects of the legislation necessary, so that I know that everything is above board!
I was justb hoping that someone might be able to advise me?

Maybe you could ask them to provide you information on how they intend to insure the premisses etc? Is the property yours outright or is it on a lease? If so you might need to check with the landlord or refer the the lease agreement as to what the premisses can/can't be used for.

I am assuming they will need some space for a changing room? Shower room?

It would be a bonus having extra potential clients coming your way via the gym!

Good luck with it all xxxx

I think you need to discuss with this person and ask her to put her business plan forwards to you (not her potential earnings part) just the plans for the property part as it may affect your business
and you need to know how health and safety comes into it

you would need her to show you on paper exactly what she plans for this gym room eg , sepearate electrics toilets water?

If you cannot find anything out perhaps ask your local authority at the health and safety department ,

just say alterations need to be made to the premises as gyms may require air conditioning , stronger phases of electric power , and I think maybe a first aider on board at all times ,

you need to know how it may affect your business regards using the water supply or if you need to seperate it
or if she intends to use your toilet for her clients ect,
also the electric needs to be seperated too ,
I think it should be stipulated in a contract that she is liable for all of these things herself ,

pehaps go to a local college where they train up fitness experts
and ask the Tutor can she give you some advice on all of the matters you need to know or maybe she can point you in the right direction
hope this helps

also I think you need legal advice about a getting a proper legal contract getting drawn up ,
hope that made sense :)

Hi Caroline

I rent a room in a gym. I am upstairs and the power plate studio is downstairs. When the power plate sessions are running I can feel the vibration. Hope you have checked that the renters machine will not cause noise disruptions to you salon.

Thanks very much for your replies, the noise and vibrations hadn't even crossed my mind!

I got approached about this a while back.
Someone wanted to rent rooms on my top floor for power plates and personal training.
It didnt happen in the end for 2 reasons,
first the renter wanted me to pay for all the work to ensure the building complied with legislation on the basis that it was my building and i would be getting rent.
secondly, the beauty rooms would be on the floor below and i was worried about noise (thumping gym music) and vibration.
Depending on your layout i would say proceed with caution. maybe visit somewhere with powerplates and check out how niosy they are.

I would be cautious about this as I have worked in many salons, often in hotels which have a gym next door and I really dont think the two are compatible due to noise and vibrations caused by a gym. It can be a nightmare when you're doing a massage and someone next door turns up the music or drops a weight.
Hope that helps.
Amanda

Latest posts

Back