Hair care in a hard water area?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber-

Reaction score
I live in a very hard water area. I have always had problems with dryness and frizzyness in my hair, even when it was it's natural undyed state (I must admit that was years ago). I noticed that when I moved to Canada my hair was immediately better, and I was using the exact same products so I'm assuming it's the hardness of my local water here in Dublin.
Are there any products or ingredients I should look for to help with this?
Also, are there any I should avoid? I try to avoid silicones but it's damn near impossible.

I found that just from moving from town to the other. softer water does seem to have a much nicer effect on hair than harder water. silicone based products will help weigh the frizziness of your hair down. as for the dryness just keep to hydrating products, deep conditioning masks and serums.

Silicone products will dehydrate your hair over time. Best advice is a sulphate free shampoo and conditioner, as the sulphates in most shampoos react with the minerals that contribute to hard water. Pureology hydrate or pureology supersmooth would be my choice.

new thread started.

hello Amber, i would like to say that sulphate ions can harm your hair because they react with minerals in water and forms precipitates that gets deposit on the surface of hair and sticks oil and dirt that may harm your hair. so better option is to use a chelating shampoo free from sulphate ions which has molecules such as EDTA, or acetic or citric acid in it.

Latest posts

Back