Hair color won't hold on new growth

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackieB

Reaction score
I am 42 years old, and for the past 2 years my haircolor will not hold. I color to cover gray.

I have been to 3 different salons, all using what I think are pretty good brands of haircolor, (Redken, Goldwell & Keune). I have naturally dark brown hair, and I get it died to match.

The problem is, the new growth... After getting it colored, my roots are orange, and continue to get lighter and lighter as the day's go by :|

My hair is about 3-4 inches in length all over (had to cut all my length off because of this). Looking closely at the hair, you can see that it's the roots that aren't taking, but as you go down the length of the strands, they get darker.

I am putting a semi-permanent color in it every 2 weeks, just to try & knock out some of the orange - so I can walk outside the door!! The condition of my hair is getting worse and worse, because I am going every 6 weeks for colorings, and putting this semi-permanent color in it.

Since the problem is starting with the new growth, does anyone think it might be hormones or something I eat??

Nobody at the salons I've gone too know why this is happening, their attempt at a remedy is to just leave the color in longer, which is frying my hair. I know their intentions are good, but I'd like to (pun intended!) get to the root of the problem!

If anyone can help, I'd surely appreciate it!

Thank you for the posts. I am using Redken Color reserve shampoo and conditioner. However, I don't think it's the shampoo because the orange-y roots show up at the salon, just after coloring. No warm dryer is being used, should I ask for it?

What if I just use the semi-coloring instead? That way there's no 'lift' happening? I think I'd rather live with a few grays popping out than orange - dry hair....:rolleyes:. Do you think using a semi-color once a week is too much?

I will also ask about the filler and softening. Thanks!

Thank you for the posts. I am using Redken Color reserve shampoo and conditioner. However, I don't think it's the shampoo because the orange-y roots show up at the salon, just after coloring. No warm dryer is being used, should I ask for it?

What if I just use the semi-coloring instead? That way there's no 'lift' happening? I think I'd rather live with a few grays popping out than orange - dry hair....:rolleyes:. Do you think using a semi-color once a week is too much?

YES...your on the right track...

LOL..Time in this profession does teach us a few tricks eh SophieA?
I do this same thing but with a demi color line.
I have a White haired elderly that I do a RED..true RED! With redken Shades,, Beautiful coverage. last 6 weeks! and she gets perms also.
Us hairmesser know the tricks..don't try this at home!!! :)

It could have been your shampoo even if it showed up in the salon. There are OTC shampoo and conditioners that have a wax in them that will block haircolor from penetrating the cuticle of your hair. But since you use a redken color line..you are good on that.

Using a semi color once a week is too much. You will end up destroying the cuticle of your hair even if it is a low ammonia line.

Hi Minky,
Pantene on the OTC products has a big wax deposit in the shampoo and conditioners, this will put a coating on the hair that will not allow color to penentrate thus fades or turns funky colors.

Yes you are making sense. ;) There are conditoners out there like you described that do have the "wax" or "silicone" built into them that prevents fadeage but also can give us grief when trying to color over it.
Take pantene...It takes approx 8 shampoos to get rid of the silcone wax off the hair.
That is why it is so important that clients use professional shampoos and conditioners. I will not guarantee my colors unless they are using professional shampoo and conditioners that is appropriate for their hair.

Hi Minky,
Pantene on the OTC products has a big wax deposit in the shampoo and conditioners, this will put a coating on the hair that will not allow color to penentrate thus fades or turns funky colors.

Yes you are making sense. ;) There are conditoners out there like you described that do have the "wax" or "silicone" built into them that prevents fadeage but also can give us grief when trying to color over it.
Take pantene...It takes approx 8 shampoos to get rid of the silcone wax off the hair.
That is why it is so important that clients use professional shampoos and conditioners. I will not guarantee my colors unless they are using professional shampoo and conditioners that is appropriate for their hair.
Suave, Prell, Pert Plus and White Rain are right up there with Pantene- Perming or chemical texture over them is a nightmare and if they coninue using them after a texture service, curl or straightening, it reverts because of the wax.

Sometimes they have to see it to believe it though!

So I just read through all of this and have a few questions! My hair is being suchhhh a pain in the ass, I have bleached my hair countless times in effort to achieve the right color silver I wanted. A few weeks ago I attempted a silver and it wasn't nearly what I wanted, in fact it ended up giving me a small hint of green. Finally I got the silver I want because I just went with a darker silver/gray on my entire head. It didn't take to my roots however but I DID expect that because my roots weren't lightened like the rest of my head because I want dark roots! So at that point I was fine, just needed to apply a charcoal root! So I waited about two weeks before adding the root color. I finally applied the color today, waited about an hr before washing it out and i was SHOCKED to see that not a damn thing changed! It was still the same regrowth color!! Whyyyy!?!?!? I'm so upset! So I've done so much reading the past 3 hours and can't seem to find exactly what's going on!?

I tried looking at my shampoo and conditioner bottles for "wax" or "silicone" and didn't see that on there but am not sure if it has a different name when listed in ingredients!!

Also how do you do a pre-softener or filler? And what it is?

Someone please help me! I'm leaving for a mini vacation soon and can't go looking like this!

The attached picture is directly after attempting the root! My hair is still wet but you can see exactly where I need it! IMG_1174.JPG

Visit a good salon and ask for a consultation. This is a forum for professional hairdressers and it's against the forum rules to post technical advice to a potential client. Thank you for your understanding.

I am 42 years old, and for the past 2 years my haircolor will not hold. I color to cover gray.

I have been to 3 different salons, all using what I think are pretty good brands of haircolor, (Redken, Goldwell & Keune). I have naturally dark brown hair, and I get it died to match.

The problem is, the new growth... After getting it colored, my roots are orange, and continue to get lighter and lighter as the day's go by :|

My hair is about 3-4 inches in length all over (had to cut all my length off because of this). Looking closely at the hair, you can see that it's the roots that aren't taking, but as you go down the length of the strands, they get darker.

I am putting a semi-permanent color in it every 2 weeks, just to try & knock out some of the orange - so I can walk outside the door!! The condition of my hair is getting worse and worse, because I am going every 6 weeks for colorings, and putting this semi-permanent color in it.

Since the problem is starting with the new growth, does anyone think it might be hormones or something I eat??

Nobody at the salons I've gone too know why this is happening, their attempt at a remedy is to just leave the color in longer, which is frying my hair. I know their intentions are good, but I'd like to (pun intended!) get to the root of the problem!

If anyone can help, I'd surely appreciate it!
If they use Redken Shades EQ that's not completely semi-permanent it's a Semi-permanent, just meaning it lasts a bit longer and penetrates the hair. Also your color may not last long because first semi/semi permanent won't cover your grey at all. Not sure if that's what they use in your regrowth because your post is a bit vague. Anyway if permanent color isn't lasting they need to open the cuticle and apply the regular color formula for the recommended time. Clients that have grey on dark/med brown hair I have been coloring them with what's called "Grey Blending" its highlights using very small sections, lifting to the palest it can get, then toning with either grey or silver. My clients absolutely love this, it helps so they don't get the harsh line of demarcation and can allow their grey hair to look Beautiful! Check out some of the photos on Pintrest. This might be an option for you. If not your stylist needs to use the method I mention in the begining of my message. Grey hair that's really resistant should go through this before coloring or color simply will not hold! Good Luck
BTW I'm a licenced Cosmetologist 30+yrs😊

I ment Demi in the beginning of my message, autocorrect changed it! Sorry

If they use Redken Shades EQ that's not completely semi-permanent it's a Semi-permanent, just meaning it lasts a bit longer and penetrates the hair. Also your color may not last long because first semi/semi permanent won't cover your grey at all. Not sure if that's what they use in your regrowth because your post is a bit vague. Anyway if permanent color isn't lasting they need to open the cuticle more by using 20 or 30 volt peroxide straight on the regrowth area for 20 to 30 min, then rinse/dry and apply the regular color formula for the recommended time. Clients that have grey on dark/med brown hair I have been coloring them with what's called "Grey Blending" its highlights using very small sections, lifting to the palest it can get, then toning with either grey or silver. My clients absolutely love this, it helps so they don't get the harsh line of demarcation and can allow their grey hair to look Beautiful! Check out some of the photos on Pintrest. This might be an option for you. If not your stylist needs to use the method I mention in the begining of my message. Grey hair that's really resistant should go through this before coloring or color simply will not hold! Good Luck
BTW I'm a licenced Cosmetologist 30+yrs😊

I ment Demi in the beginning of my message, autocorrect changed it! Sorry

So you know, this thread was created way back in 2007, and the original poster hasn’t revisited Salon Geek since that time 😉

Latest posts

Back