Hair colour experiments/swatch tests

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamlea87

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I think one of the best ways of learning about hair colour is by experimenting, I like to do that using hair swatch tests.

Sometimes I will just test a new shade or toner, or sometimes I do more interesting experiments, about how different factors affect the colour result.

Anyway I was looking for suggestions on some experiments I could do! Some ideas could be something like comparing the results of a range of products such as silver shampoos or it could be something more like colour fade, how different developers affect the colour, porosity etc..

The thing I like about these kind of tests is even if you already know the outcome of the experiment in theory, you can see the results with your own eyes.

All ideas are welcome and of course I will post results!

I have attached some photos of the type of swatches I usually use in case anyone wasn't sure.

qJGuoUX.jpg

LSaTtS7.png

Love the second swatch! Was it equal parts of each base? Interesting how the result deepens and cools the further away from the target you mix.

P.S. you're not the only one who does this lol...

How about you try a level 8 with 1gram of red mix tone, 2 grams, 3 grams etc. until you reach saturation point? How about some swatches mixing the mix tones together to see if equal parts of red and yellow really do make orange...or does the dyeload give unexpected results? That type of thing. :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1372589125.000448.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1372589125.000448.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 820
Where do u guys get your swatches from. I've always wanted to make my own colour chart. But also for testing different colours! Great idea. And love the 'base 5' mixes. What colours do you use Adam?

Love the second swatch! Was it equal parts of each base? Interesting how the result deepens and cools the further away from the target you mix.

P.S. you're not the only one who does this lol...

How about you try a level 8 with 1gram of red mix tone, 2 grams, 3 grams etc. until you reach saturation point? How about some swatches mixing the mix tones together to see if equal parts of red and yellow really do make orange...or does the dyeload give unexpected results? That type of thing. :)

Hey classix thanks for the ideas, love the saturation test!!
Also I reconise those swatches! did you post them to lupe voss's hair color magic group? You own a salon that switched from loreal to aveda right?

Regarding the base 5 tests, the results ill put the up here later

Last edited:
Where do u guys get your swatches from. I've always wanted to make my own colour chart. But also for testing different colours! Great idea. And love the 'base 5' mixes. What colours do you use Adam?

Hi Perry, the swatches are from Pivot Point. They don't list them on the website but I can pm the persons email if you want to order some. They are made from yak hair that colours very simular to human hair.

I normally use L'Oreal colours but am open to testing anything out!

Hey classix thanks for the ideas, love the saturation test!!
Also I reconise those swatches! did you post them to lupe voss's hair color magic group? You own a salon that switched from loreal to aveda right?

Regarding the base 5 tests, the results ill put the up here later

Aha! That's where I know you from! :)

Surprised you aren't using Aveda Adam seeing as you love to experiment!

Yep...I get my swatches from Pivot Point too.

You really inspire me. Today I brought my swatches to work and made some colours.

From the left to the right, this is what I used:

1. 1cc 7.40 4cc 10 majirel with 6% it came out darker than I expected. Wanted a pastel/peachy colour so maybe I'm gonna try 8.04 with 10.

2. The perfect lilac which I have read about on this forum is really perfect! 1/3 violet 2/3 p02 Luo

3. 7cc 9.22 1cc red mix with 6% should have added more 9.22 to create a metallic pink

4. Well, my phone is crappy, so you can't really see it, but it's 2/3 5.20 majirel with 1/3 magenta, 6% it looks like red wine, really nice.

5. 1/2 p10 1/2 10/12 Luo, love the icy blue

6. 1cc 2.10 15cc clear (Richesse) with 2.7% let's call this one 'jeans'

7. 1cc 2.10 5cc 9.11 Richesse with 2,7% also not really clear on the picture but it's a nice deep blue colour. It suprised me that it wasn't really greyish.

8. 2cc mix green 3cc mix blue 5cc 10 majirel with 4,5% turned out really grey! I still don't know why, so if anyone knows..!

Hope you guys like it, if you have any ideas tell me! :D

2lm0tpu.jpg

Marjolein these are fantastic! You have some really great colours there, I'm sooo happy to see you experimenting :D

Swatches really let you see what's really inside the colour.

:p

This thread is bloody fabulous!!!
I have a love for everything hair & beauty, but have a real passion for hair extensions, and hair colouring,and lately I've been testing how colours turn out on different extension brands, I've never told anyone, as it's a bit geeky, lol!

Definitely going to buy some of those swatches
Thanks for the inspiration : )
X

Hair extensions are a wonderful way of providing instant length, fullness, and shine to your own hair. It is always good to experiment with yourself and all the extension that you showed in images are good may be the one suits you best you should go with that!!!!

Fantastic thread. Can you also inbox me the details so I can ordered some swatches x

Hi Perry, the swatches are from Pivot Point. They don't list them on the website but I can pm the persons email if you want to order some. They are made from yak hair that colours very simular to human hair.

I normally use L'Oreal colours but am open to testing anything out!
I want to order some swatches pleaseeeee :)

This is such a good idea to experiment with colours! Where do I get these swatches? I really want to do lots of different experiments with different brands and learn new ways to mix colours together x

This thread is bloody fabulous!!!
I have a love for everything hair & beauty, but have a real passion for hair extensions, and hair colouring,and lately I've been testing how colours turn out on different extension brands, I've never told anyone, as it's a bit geeky, lol!

Definitely going to buy some of those swatches
Thanks for the inspiration : )
X

Me too I'm such a hair geek I have a little book full of my mixtures lol also I've started my own colour book with all my mixtures x

This is great , obvious question but in terms of measurement what is "cc" ? grams? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

This is a great thread!

Wanted to comment so I can keep up with it...and I may get into this experimenting too!

Funny enough I need to order some more swatches myself!

@amberjox - you can email pivot point in Spain and ask them if they sell them, if not I can send you some from the UK.

@babychops - I ordered them from pivot point. They don't display them on their UK website but if you email them they will send them to you.
I ordered them through: [email protected]
The white swatches were £3.00 (exclusive of VAT & postage) per pack (of 12 I think).

@Chantelle<3 - I would love to see your book of mixtures! :D

@Prettyflamingo - cc is cubic centimetres which is also the same measurements as millilitres

@kwoodsy - definitely start experimenting!

Although yak hair is great for testing colours without undertones, it doesn't always take colour identically to human hair... Sometimes you just have to make your own hair swatches! :p

Thanks very much! X

Use kids hair that has big chops you only need 6cm of hair and you can tape the virgin hair next to the completed swatch so you can compare especially for greys or red heads you can see how colours work on them... Why buy something that's freeeee :))

Commenting for later x

Latest posts

Back