Hair damage/breakage, colour blonde

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer Lee

Reaction score
Hello, I have had my hair damaged by dye being left on for longer than it should have been (Longer than 40 mins), i normally get a root tint and a couple of foils to break up the colour of the regrowth, this has always been fine for the past 10 years except for the last time i went to get my colour done and my hair snapped.Since going to the new salon (about 5 months ago, moving from a salon using TIGI colour) i have noticed more 'fly away hair' and that my colour will sometimes look darker and lighter each time, although the hairdressers says that the colour is the same (L'oreal colour used at new salon were damage to hair happened). This time (when breakage occurred) my hair looked a lot lighter than it had before. Could you please give me some advice ??? Are there any brands of colours that are less harsh on hair?
Thanks ! ( I have uploaded pictures of my damaged hair, just damaged in that one area)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2017-05-01 at 22.26.26.png
    Screen shot 2017-05-01 at 22.26.26.png
    121 KB · Views: 47
  • Screen shot 2017-05-01 at 22.26.39.png
    Screen shot 2017-05-01 at 22.26.39.png
    121.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen shot 2017-05-01 at 22.26.50.png
    Screen shot 2017-05-01 at 22.26.50.png
    146.2 KB · Views: 38
I would not put any more bleach on your hair personally why don't you try a root stretch with colour touch wella. This is ammonia free and you can get some great colours. Do you have any % of white in your natural regrowth?

L'Oréal, TIGI, Wella are all professional brands and won't cause any damage providing they are used properly. Professional colours can be left on for more than an hour without causing damage as they automatically stop processing after the development time, so that's not the issue here.

Bleach should be removed immediately once the hair has lifted enough as bleach DOES continue to work whilst it's on the hair. Normally, I'd use a timer and regularly check progress.

Using an incorrect formula and/or applying normal colour to previous coloured areas, leaving bleach on too long, using high strength bleach formula can all cause breakage.

However, if you're suffering from an illness, menopause symptoms, mineral deficiency or taking any medication etc., this can also have a direct effect on your hair health and make it prone to damage more easily. Depending on how quickly your hair grows, it could take a couple of months before the effect was noticeable. The fact that you noticed the breakage initially at your previous salon would make me consider your physical health as another potential cause of the breakage, and the fact that it occurred close to the root.

Latest posts

Back