Hair Extension - can i compete?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam289

Reaction score
Hi, i have been mobile for nearly 5 months now, i was in a salon for 10 years where i trained in raccoon and balmain hair extensions but i haven't offered them mobile yet. Yesterday i had an appointment for a cut from a client that had just had extensions put in. When i seen her hair the application was ok, but the cut was awful - just cut straight across but uneven and the top layer just left so it was so obvious! Anyway she now has a nice layer cut so they look like her hair. While i was cutting i couldn't help but ask questions, she was happy to tell me all about it.....She paid £200, the girl use hair that you could buy as clip in extensions and cut the band off the top and bonded them in. She was there 2 hours and told the girl to dye her hair to so it was all one colour :eek:....then off she went in her audi! I was shocked! Im thinking about offering hair extension but just wondering whether it will be worth it? Balmain hair would cost about £200 at least just for the hair. Anyone found this sort of problem where they live? Any advice? Thanks sam x

Hair extensions is a very profitable business but something that I believe should be ran as a business. Unfortunately in this industry there are people delivering a service that simply should not be. obviously someone like yourself can deliver a great service so Go for it!!!!! My best advice would be to run a few "ranges" of hair so that you can reach more clients as some girls will pay the price like Balmain etc whereas others are looking for a more middle of the range regarding price. I have never looked back and love the work I do. Spend time sourcing good suppliers and market yourself in the right way and I'm positive this would be a great business for you. You clearly have vast amounts of experience and would soon build up a great reputation. Mobile V's salon is different in most areas but I do think that lots of clients now seek mobile extensionists due to the overheads not having to be charged when working mobile and it fitting in with their lives ie. work commitments. Good Luck and get cracking at what can be a very busy time of the year for us!! x

Thank you for ur reply. Ur so right! Im definitely going to look into it, i love doing them and love how it makes the client so happy. Thanks x

Hair extensions is a very profitable business but something that I believe should be ran as a business. Unfortunately in this industry there are people delivering a service that simply should not be. obviously someone like yourself can deliver a great service so Go for it!!!!! My best advice would be to run a few "ranges" of hair so that you can reach more clients as some girls will pay the price like Balmain etc whereas others are looking for a more middle of the range regarding price. I have never looked back and love the work I do. Spend time sourcing good suppliers and market yourself in the right way and I'm positive this would be a great business for you. You clearly have vast amounts of experience and would soon build up a great reputation. Mobile V's salon is different in most areas but I do think that lots of clients now seek mobile extensionists due to the overheads not having to be charged when working mobile and it fitting in with their lives ie. work commitments. Good Luck and get cracking at what can be a very busy time of the year for us!! x

Snazzyz is so right! Dont be discouraged by this. Just because she is cheap does not mean you have to be. Focus on being the best instead and the client will come back again and again. There are still people willing to pay more for quality. I have several different price levels and offer 4 different types of hair so the client can pick something that suits their budget and needs. So if they want Balmain hair extensions I offer that at a premium and then have alternatives that are cheaper like standard remy hair. Good luck!

www.theextensionist.com

Latest posts

Back