Hair extensions and psoriasis

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacyb123

Reaction score
Hi
I have a client who really wants extensions but she gets terrible psoriasis on her body and scalp my worry is if she has extensions and her scalp is bad they will only irritate her scalp more has anyone else had this situation before an what you did I have suggested maybe just putting a couple in for a week or so to see how she gets on before she has a full head of them fitted and also save her the money if its going go irritate her scalp any help of suggestions would be a great help :)

Personally I would not fit them. I have a section on my consultation form asking if they have it and if I would not fit it, just because you really don't know how they will react and you don't want their condition to get worse.

I'm not a hairdresser but I suffer with psoriasis on my knees elbows and scalp. I have to be so careful putting anything on my hair as I just makes it worse if I use chemicals. I can't have full head colours only foils that don't touch my scalp and sometimes that irritates me. Personally I wouldn't have extensions (and I would love them :( ) through fear of it messing my scalp up further. Sorry to butt in as I'm not a hairdresser :) xx

we were taught in training that this would a contra indication and that fitting should not take place if moderate or severe.

tigi

The correct answer for the non hair geeks here is that it depends.

It depends which method is used, the severity of the psoriasis, and where on the head it is.
If it is purely below the occipital, you can extend, providing the hair is long already and you are using resin rather than microbonds. Sewn on wefts are also ok, but glued on are not.

If the whole scalp is covered, and it is severe, ext shoukd not be applied at all.

Thanks for your help guys I thought best not to but she was so gutted that I felt awful but don't want to do them and it come back on me i feel reassured now that it's best not to as she does get it quite severe and especially in winter time it flares up more
Thank you :) xx

I wouldn't, just 'cause she could even blame you for them irritating her scalp more, and she might have to take them out straight after having them fitted, which would be a waste of money and time for you both. :/
I'm sure she'll understand, you have to watch out for your reputation and your clients well being haha!

If its not on client's scalp then you can apply extensions. if its only around the hair line area then it should be okay. just make sure you get a gp referral saying that it is okay to go ahead with application, also get client so sign disclaimer form, state the reason why. x

Providing it is not too excessive and the scalp is not covered maybe a way forward for you both is to fit a few strands and leave them a week to see how she gets on with them. If she is adamant to go ahead with a fitting and the scalp is not covered just make sure you get her to sign a disclaimer stating you have advised irritation may occur but client wishes to proceed. It really is a case of some will be fine,and some wont but will never know until they've tried. x

Latest posts

Back