Hair extensions & headlice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holliekatexx

Reaction score
need some advise!
One of my hair extension clients went to her usual hairdresser at the weekend for highlights and inbetween her colour developing the hairdresser was doing a child's hair..
My clients head had been really itchy and her mums noticed she now has headlice The other hairdresser pretty much laughed in her face and said it can't be from the salon but there's no other explanation

Her mum has combed through (obviously hard with the extensions being in) seems to have got rid of them all, but I know they may have laid eggs

Am i best off removing them, getting her to treat it, and then refit once it's cleared up? Or are there any products that wouldn't harm the extensions?

What method has she got in beaut ? With head lice they im sure it would take more than developing time for her to come contact with head lice for them to lay eggs enough for her head to itch. So the other salon would not be to blame I presume the child had caught them at school possible and then passed them on to her mum as the hair would need to be pretty infested for to see the eggs and there would need to be an nit or to in there to lay the eggs , and the stylist didn't notice because she thought the possibly eggs were residue from shampoo or maybe her scalp was a little dry x

Hi, I would advise to remove your clients extensions, treat the headlice problem and then re-install when clear. As it's not the lice that causes the itching but their excrement, IMO I don't think that your client will have picked them up from the hair salon but from another source.

I agree I think it's best to remove all the hair extensions and then treat the lice and once all has gone from her own and her daughters hair refit the extensions xx

Headlice can take a while to treat because the initial treatment doesn't necessarily catch the eggs laid by the lice. The eggs then hatch and there's a fresh batch of lice to treat. If you take out the extensions, you have to sterilise any tools you use and boil wash any towels etc.

It's unlikely to be caused by the child in the salon because the hairdresser should have checked her hair during the consultation process. If she found any evidence of eggs or lice, she would have had to refuse the service.

That's what we're doing when you think we're just mindlessly running our fingers through your hair and playing with it whilst talking to you about what you'd like us to do today. :eek: ;)

Latest posts

Back