Hair loss after birth

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molly B

Reaction score
Good morning hair experts

Hair is falling out post birth was wondering how long it will go on? Nearly 16 weeks post birth now.

Extensions are a no no? A blogger I follow is same amount of time post birth and is wearing great lengths.

Thank you in advance for any advice xxx

Don't freak: You're not going bald, you're just getting back to normal. If you're breastfeeding, some of your extra hair may hang on to your scalp until you wean or start to supplement with formula or solids. But nursing or not, take comfort in knowing that by the time your baby is ready to blow out the candles on that first birthday cake (and has a full head of hair of his or her own, possibly), your catch-up hair loss will be finished, and your locks should be back to normal, too.

Thank you for the reassurance Simba xxx my baby was born with full head of hair il show you a pic maybe she took all mine she hasn't lost hers yet [emoji23][emoji23] xxx
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1479454452.810114.jpg

Thank you for the reassurance Simba xxx my baby was born with full head of hair il show you a pic maybe she took all mine she hasn't lost hers yet [emoji23][emoji23] xxxView attachment 202177
What a cutie and yes she has got all your hair lol. But like I say don't worry for every hair you lose there's another on behind it. [emoji4]

Thank God for that! Xxx

Yup, totally normal.

In the normal 3 phase hair growth cycle some hair is lost every day, although you won't always notice it because at the same time, new hairs are growing and some hairs are resting. (That's why when you shave or wax your legs, you'll see the odd hair appear within a day or so because those little hairs are at the peak of their growth cycle.)

However, during pregnancy the increased levels of oestrogen in your body keeps the majority of your hair in the growth phase of the cycle. Hair that would normally fall out stays put, resulting in lush thicker hair.

At some point after giving birth, your hormones start to revert to their pre-pregnancy cycle and all of the hair that would have naturally fallen out slowly during the whole of your pregnancy start to fall out at that point. So it becomes far more noticeable and obviously, your hair will feel thinner but it should start to settle back into the normal hair cycle within about 3 months or so depending on your hormone levels.

With some women, the hairline appears to recede during this phase, which can seem scary, but this is entirely normal. You should start to see the new baby hairs growing within about 2-3 months.

Your little girl looks gorgeous, by the way. :)

Thank you so much reassuring to know xxx

Latest posts

Back