Hairdresser wouldn't bleach my hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cackney

Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice on my situation.
Recently I bought pastel pink hair dye and planned to dye my hair after getting a hairdresser to bleach it for me. However, they wouldn't do it for me.
Currently my hair is shoulder length and is ginger, and the last time I had it bleached was approximately 7 months ago from a dark brown to the ginger colour it currently is, then I had red dye put through it. About a month ago I used a dye remover to take the red dye out to prep for the pink dye because I've been wanting to do this for a long time, and the bleached ginger pretty much matches my natural ginger spot on.
When I asked my hairdresser she said something about my hair dissolving?? My hair is in really good condition right now so I was just wondering if maybe they wouldn't do it in order to save themselves in case I would complain about my hair being damaged, but I wouldn't I would accept responsibility for it. I see people bleaching their hair regularly using multiple dyes.
I honestly want the pastel pink so much I would consider bleaching my hair myself haha. If there is an issue of my hair being too long, I would happily cut it again as I've had it cut above my shoulders multiple times.
I was just hoping someone could advise me on what to do next, thank you :).

It's not always necessarily about the condition of your hair. If you have a building up of box dyes and other productson your hair they could have metalic salts in which could cause your hair to react and dissolve as your hairdresser explained. And no matter if it was 7 months ago you still have that colour on your hair until it is cut out which is a common misconception many people have! If your hairdresser has refused then it is for a good reason as they would not turn away a paying client just for the fun of it so if I was you I would definitely stay away from the bleach for a while.

As above, if it does contain metallic salts, it will break when bleach is applied.
However, you could try booking in at a hairdressing training college and let the students do a test cutting to double check. If it's ok and you just need it bleaching to a light yellow, they should manage that ok.

It might also be that the original hairdresser isn't keen on you leaving her salon with untoned raw yellow bleached hair?

Ahhh okay, I'll have to research on these metallic salts hahaha. Thank you for your help though!

So basically you've bleached the hair then you put a red dye in it then you used a dye remover all within 7 months and now you'd like a pink in it. I agree with your hairdresser your hair will fry/dissolve. I'd rather an honest hairdresser rather than one ruin my hair. If your asking me I think she's very responsible. No offence to be taken like

Go somewhere else and ask them to do a test piece. If they say the same then you know. Your hair may feel in good condition, but as those above have said metallic salts remain in the hair permanently , and they can react with colour/bleach like oil to a flame. To get pink hair your hair has to be near white first, achieving this on compromised hair is not easy. Not worth risking it unless you'd like to have a pink skinhead xxx

Last edited:
I've been asked for similar recently....hair with HISTORY......
After spending nearly an hour in consultation, to include strand test, (which at best resulted in ....WARM.....:eek::oops::(.
I explain, to achieve shoulder length white!!!!!.... would take several hours....or better still, a couple of appointments, costing around £250.
Client laughs in my face.......:p.I was obviously pulling her leg....how much will it really cost.....?o_O

It is for this reason, the stress involved, time needed, EXPECTATION..and small profit margin, that I shy away from such work - unless they have come recommended by a regular client.:cool:

That being said, this particular lovely is the daughter of a long standing regular!!!

Latest posts

Back