Hairdressing-mature student

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauraluuu

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for a career change as I will be a stay at home mum for the next two years until my one year old starts nursery and want to make the most of it. I have always had an interest in hair but never had the opportunity to persue it. I have an interview for a level 2 hairdressing course at the end of Jan but have lots of doubts creeping in as I am quite nervous. I am 34, and realistically am I too old?
Will I need to go on and do level 3 also? It is very costly so want to make sure it is necessary as I won't be working and also paying out college fees.
Level 2 at my local college is 2.5 days a week, is that likely to include placement days?
Any advice would be gratefully received

Laura

Anyone?[emoji4]

There have been similar threads before so have a search and read through the replies. Lots of posters have useful experiences that you can learn from.

Generally, there's no age barrier (I was in my forties) But realistically, you won't be salon ready at the end of level 2 (or 3 in some cases) as you won't have anywhere near enough experience to run a busy column without supervision. Some salons will be happy to support you gaining further experience but others won't give you much leeway. They will have to pay you the highest level for national minimum wage compared to a youngster. If you don't work quickly enough, you will be a liability to them.

It can be incredibly hard to get a foot in the door so if you can find a salon that will allow you to work p/t or on a voluntary basis whilst learning, that will give you a good start.

Best of luck and be prepared to work your socks off.

Anyone?[emoji4]
Never too old! I'm almost 40, just finished my level 2 and starting my level 3. I used to do nursing, so 'hair' was a drastic change of career for me, but I wish I'd done it years ago.
I've paid privately for my courses at a salon. My level 2 took 19months but it was worth it. I've also been given the opportunity to do clients on a percentage split at the salon as often or as little as I like, to help further improve my skills and gain confidence, which is great. I thought long and hard about doing my level 3, it was either that,or, go on colour correction, cutting courses and others that would be helpful, but, it's another qualification, the salon is practically on my door step, and it's more hands on experience working on the floor.
Do it, you won't regret it! Xxx

Thanks for the replies, I am going to give it a damn good go as it's now or never really and I'll regret it if I don't![emoji106]

Never too old! I'm almost 40, just finished my level 2 and starting my level 3. I used to do nursing, so 'hair' was a drastic change of career for me, but I wish I'd done it years ago.
I've paid privately for my courses at a salon. My level 2 took 19months but it was worth it. I've also been given the opportunity to do clients on a percentage split at the salon as often or as little as I like, to help further improve my skills and gain confidence, which is great. I thought long and hard about doing my level 3, it was either that,or, go on colour correction, cutting courses and others that would be helpful, but, it's another qualification, the salon is practically on my door step, and it's more hands on experience working on the floor.
Do it, you won't regret it! Xxx
Was there any reason that level 2 took 19 months? I'm guessing probably the difference between full time and part time courses?x

Latest posts

Back