Hairdressing training help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emma Thompson

Reaction score
Hi All
I have a question about training, I am almost 43 years old and just completed my level2 in woman's hairdressing at college. I have tried 15 hair salons for work experience but no one will take me on even unpaid and for a few hours. I have been doing some clients for free at home and practicing on blocks at home. I have the choice for level 3 to do a private 22 day course from 9-6 every Monday or attend college for a year. I have been told my cutting skills are not up to scratch and I am not the fastest in my class. I don't want to go onto level 3 if I am wasting money at my age. I am at a crossroads and could really do with some advice, am I just too old, should I continue trying to learn at home.
Thanks Everyone

Nope your never too old, where are you located? Keep trying with salons & stop giving your work away for free to the clients your already doing, your qualified now so you should charge accordingly. Keep the faith. If you want it bad enough it will happen for you! Are you in a position to be able to go to college for the year? If you have the time it's s mich more in depth way to learn but as you already have your level 2 the Monday course will still be enough to get you out on your own, how do your clients rate your services that you already do?

I can't imagine anyone's cutting skills are up to much just after level 2, to be honest. It's a bit like learning to drive, you're qualified but totally inexperienced. You only learn the basics on level 2 and need to do level 3 or equivalent to learn the more advanced techniques.

If you want to focus on your cutting, I highly recommend doing the 5 day ABC cutting course at Sassoon, London. You will definitely come away feeling much more confident, although it may be better to do your level 3 and then the ABC course afterwards, when you have a bit more experience.

I completed my level 3 quite quickly because my fab tutor let me join in with her other level 3 classes in the college salon so that I could get more experience. Might this be an option for you? (I was in my forties when I started.)

Hi There
I am located in Merseyside am not sure what the clients think but I am quite slow and have taken 3-4 hours to do a root regrowth and ombre, plus blowdry, that includes the development time. Haven't done much cutting and have had to teach myself most of the cuts with videos.

Hi Emma, our website may be of interest to you! We offer live masterclasses (cutting and colouring) with some of the top stylists in the industry! They take you through step-by-step how to perfect a cut/colour! Our live masterclasses are only €20 and you get lifetime access to the course. Our previous courses are also available on video on demand for €40 and again you get lifetime access. Check out our website and get inspiration and gain knowledge from top stylists!

Thanks but need hands on experience, not online!!

Hi All
I have a question about training, I am almost 43 years old and just completed my level2 in woman's hairdressing at college. I have tried 15 hair salons for work experience but no one will take me on even unpaid and for a few hours. I have been doing some clients for free at home and practicing on blocks at home. I have the choice for level 3 to do a private 22 day course from 9-6 every Monday or attend college for a year. I have been told my cutting skills are not up to scratch and I am not the fastest in my class. I don't want to go onto level 3 if I am wasting money at my age. I am at a crossroads and could really do with some advice, am I just too old, should I continue trying to learn at home.
Thanks Everyone
Hi Emma
I trained at college level 2 nvq hair and found I still wasn't confident enough to cut people's hair and then went on to do other things. Now I really want to get back into it. I've had a couple of responses from local salons where I just emailed them and explained I had level 2 but would like to retrain. The best thing you can do is practise, watch youtube videos to help you too and keep practising in the manakin head. You could also try doing a refresher course on cutting through sallys as well. I'd say if you didn't pick up much at college doing level 2 then don't do level 3 as it's more technical and there's a lot more to pick up. Your best option is learning in a salon as you'll be watching all the time and you pick it up so much quicker x

Loreal also offer good training courses so I've heard x

Snap! I'm 51 and just finishing my level 2, did barbering 2 years ago but like you, no one will give me a chance. I don't want to take loan out. also considering level 3.

Latest posts

Back