Hand Cream Help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aydie

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a client that has a lot of issues keeping gels on her nails, ( previous nail techs have told her she has oily nails and have given up on her), I have had some success with her but I wanted some advice please about her hand creams.

She mainly uses Vaseline lotion Vaseline healthy hand and nail conditioning lotion 75ml - Boots
The ingredients in it are:- Aqua, Paraffinum Liquidum, Stearic Acid, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Glycol Stearate, Sodium PCA, Lactic Acid, Potassium Lactate, Urea, Collagen Amino Acids, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Lecithin, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Hydrolyzed Milk Protein, Cyclopentasiloxane, Triethanolamine, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearamide AMP, Cetyl Alcohol, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Parfum, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxycitronellal, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Linalool

She also uses Clarins Hand cream as a treat once a week Hand and nail cream - hand care - nail care - Clarins
The ingredients in it are :-
Sesame Oil extracts: moisturize, protects against free radicals.
Shea Butter unsaponifiables: protect against environmental aggressions, revitalize.
Japanese Mulberry extract: helps reduce existing age spots.
Condurango Bark extract: helps prevent damp palms.
Myrrh extract: strengthens nails.

Are any of these hand creams likely to have an effect on her nails? I know when I studied nails we got told to avoid mineral oil based hand creams/

My gut feeling is it her hand cream thats having an effect on her gels etc.

Thankyou

Last edited:
Tell her to ditch the creams for a month and just use almond oil. You can retail her a bottle. See how she goes.

I say this because during training I was taught that hand creams shouldn't really be used with extensions and an almond oil would be much better. Hth. Please let me know if she tries and how it goes as I'd love to see if it works x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Tell her to ditch the creams for a month and just use almond oil. You can retail her a bottle. See how she goes.

I say this because during training I was taught that hand creams shouldn't really be used with extensions and an almond oil would be much better. Hth. Please let me know if she tries and how it goes as I'd love to see if it works x

What about the CND Scentsations? My clients and I adore them. Or is this recommended for natural nails only?

Thanks

I use Clarins hand and nail cream twice a day on myself as i think its absolutely gorgeous and i wear both Shellac and OPI Gelcolor without any issues of lifting or service breakdown etc ... BUT i don't use the Vaseline one perhaps this one is effecting her manicures, although if she has very oily nails and hands then she probably won't get the extended wear that perhaps she would like HTH :biggrin:

First glance at ingredients and nothing pops as untoward..

My gut says nothing that would be the cause of poor adhesion
Assuming nail plate is properly prepped and dehydrated thoroughly prior to application...

Perhaps have her avoid them 48 hours before an appointment to rule them out. Once applied they should make no difference to the adhesion of cured product ... Usually it's to do with the condition at:
A) time of application
B) condition of natural nail
C) use of nails in day to day function (nibbling or using as tools)

Also you don't mention what issue you are suffering or the application product/ technique used ...

What about the CND Scentsations? My clients and I adore them. Or is this recommended for natural nails only?

Thanks

I don't know hun sorry. I'm sure they're fine as specifically formulated for use with CND products but just going by how I was trained. This was a few years ago though so perhaps has changed or perhaps I was misinformed but I know for a fact that almond oil by itself is a wonderful moisturiser as I have used it! Lol x

6 of my clients who use clarins face cream couldn't keep their shellac on! Went on for ages and couldn't work it out what it was. Not sure about the hand cream but just thought I'd add that as maybe they have similar ingredients?
As soon as we worked out it was the face cream & I supplied my ladies with spatulas we've had no problems since.xx

I thought Paraffinum Liquidum and Linalool (aka liquid paraffin and lanolin I assume) which both appear in Vaseline could cause problems??? Don't know why I thought this or where I heard it.

I use the Clarins hand cream and I have never had a problem with it.

I had a lady who couldn't keep her shellac on for more than 6 days.
After months of trying to get to the bottom of it she casually told me (Baring in mind I kept asking if she used anything other than solar oil) that she uses Vaseline rubbed into her hands before bed every night!
When she stopped they lasted 2+ weeks!!

I thought Paraffinum Liquidum and Linalool (aka liquid paraffin and lanolin I assume) which both appear in Vaseline could cause problems??? Don't know why I thought this or where I heard it.

I use the Clarins hand cream and I have never had a problem with it.

I think your right..I completed my course recently and I do remember my trainer mentioning certain creams that you can not use as they have these ingredients in them which break down the gel. Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not sure if it is these ingredients but it is made from the oil from the skin of sheep..

Latest posts

Back