Having trouble finding a salon due to age

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reidebot

Down the Rabbit hole.
Reaction score
I am what you call a mature aged apprentice as I am over the age of 21. People seem to love me at interviews and trials until they find out how old I am. In Australia you have to pay adult apprentices with year 12 (last year of high school) more then younger apprentices. I've gotten so many rejection emails saying that this is why they wont hire me. I'm not sure how to make myself more employable.

Now just so people know, the award that covers the industry ensure mature aged apprentices almost make the same wage as fully qualified stylists with out the skills of a stylist. I'm what you would call a second year (there are 3 or 4 years in an apprenticeship with the 4th being optional). I get it but I'm not sure how to work around it.

What I'm really looking for is some advice about how to get a job as an adult apprentice?

Hello Reidebot !

Your story reminds me of my own professional path ! I'm living in France, but the age is also a problem when it comes to finding a salon and going to school at the same time. I was 21 when I wanted to take the Brevet Professionel exam, which is the next step to become a qualified hairstylist. I did 4 different salons and they all said I was too old to be hired at an interesting cost... I felt so sad and it was so unfair to me !

I went to a psychologist course at uni during 5 years, trying to let hairdressing behind me. Last summer, I went off the rails: I went to a beauty school, had a little talk with the school director and told him my story. He called a salon who was looking for apprentice, and told me to have a trial with them. As they were a franchise store, they didn't mind the age, they have the money. The manager was very happy with what I did on my trial and saw how motivated I was ! They offered me a half time contract, and I had to pay the school myself. It's a little sacrifice during two years, but I never been so much happy in my life. I have the feeling I finally belong to where I was supposed to !

Sorry for the long post and my English which might no be perfect, but here is the conclusion: don't give up if it's something you really want to, and maybe try chain stores (I hope this is the right word) ? I don't know much about laws toward apprenticeship outside France but maybe you can have a similar deal as I did !

Good luck with that, I wish you the very best, be strong !

I also had this problem, I was 21 desperate to get into Hairdressing, had one offer me an apprenticeship then ring me up the night before saying they didn't realise they would have to pay me more after the first year and therefore can't offer me the job anymore!
I was upset and felt like giving up, went to places where they help you find apprenticeships and got told I was wasting my time because of my age.
Then I went for an interview at a Saks and they took me on and I did my level 2 in a year and then my level 3 in a year :) maybe try bigger franchises or Ones with their own in house training and educators like Saks x

i took on a trainee over the age of 21, although i couldn't afford to pay her full time i took her on part time (3 days a week) until she qualified, gained her own clients and could cover her wages then i gave her full time. it was a risk but one i could afford by 'breaking even.' my business approach has never been motivated by greed, as long as my bills are paid and i had a wage, happiness was and is the destination, i'm not arsed about money because i've never come from it.

keep trying, don't ever give up, i'm sure i'm not the only salon owner out there who genuinely wants to train stylists, not just look at them as cheap labour. keep showing your enthusiasm and professionalism and the right employer will turn their head. good luck xxx

So as an updated, I've had a few interviews. The other day I had a really odd interview. The staff were nice enough but it just seemed very disorganised. One of the stylists worked with my boss from hell. I kept my mouth shut about him but she kept trying to gossip about him. I just said "I don't really feel comfortable about talking about others." So she said she would email me with a trial time. No email came. So I emailed her Sunday. She explained my age was a problem but I honestly just don't think I would fit in there.

Another one interviewed me. They seem really professional which is the type of environment you need for learning. They got me in for a trial. I aced that. Now this week I am doing a paid trial for 3 days where they test out my techniques for blow waving and other skills. Because my apprenticeship has been so rocky they want to see where they would have to place me before hiring me. I'll find out Friday.

This morning I rocked up to the last day of the trial. I was told I was working but no one expected me there. The owner said it was her mistake. She said they didn't need me there today. I said my goodbyes (Just in case I wasn't coming back). As I was about to leave the manager gave me her number and said to use her as a reference if needed.

I got a message from the owner to say they loved me and my presence. The only issue is because I started school (8 months into my apprenticeship) so late I'm a second year with the risk of first year skills. That's fair enough and I understand that. But it was really refreshing to know that "skills" was the only issue. That's something that can be easily fixed.

Latest posts

Back