Health & Saftey inspection-home salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Garfield*

Reaction score
I had an email off a lady at the coucil earlier today about a health & saftey inspection for my home salon, I called her back and has arranged to come out in June...I just wondered if anyone else had had an inspection as a home salon as I really dont know what to expect!! The lady said there is nothing to worry about...but I cant help it!!!:eek:

must admit thats a new one on me, but so long as you follow all the stuff you would in a normal shop salon I cant see it being a problem, maby she's just looking for a tech for herself:lol:

she will just check your work environment, access to it, and whether it seems safe. she may also advise you about local bye laws, such as any special licenses you may need, PPE and environmental laws such as disposal of contaminated waste. Goodluck xx

Hiya

I had a inspection from council
Did you invite them...or did they call you out the blue?
if they called you out of the blue..you may have a neibour who has reported you?

I invited the council to inspect my clinic
They charged me £260 Enviromental Health Dept
They look to see(i think this will depend on what service you offer)
Car parking issues
How many visits during day from clients
what open times do you have
Are the neibours happy with this set up etc
No Smoking signs up
Steps are clear marked(mind The Step)etc
First Aid Box(not sure if that would apply to nails only salon)?
Check List with all health issues..
Safety/clean/tidy/hand towles/metal bins/
Hoe you dispose of the rubbish(what sort of rubbish you have to dispose of)
E.G Wax Strips/needles/chemical/if you have any yellow bags i.e hazzard waste

If some things need changing to make your work place more customer friendly...they may pay you another visit later when these jobs have been actioned

My council advised me to set upi in my Garage..but i decided to open a public place

any thing i can help with

P.S//if you look up judge dread (they may help) they are council advisors
type in judge dread and search

Jenx
Advanced Beauty Clinic - Warwickshire

Thanks Jen, thats very helpful. She said she had googled salon in doncaster (I think they are looking ofr work!) and I came up and she noticed I had never had a visit before., she said that they havnt had a complaint or anything because thats what i was worried about! Looking at what you have said I think I should be ok, I do everything I should.:hug:

Hi
I'm in the process of setting up a home salon and I've had the environmental health out
I invited them and they gave me a list of things to do before I open
I have to have a health and safety poster on display filled in
I had to have an extractor fan fitted above my nail station
A sink fitted in my room
my boiler is to be checked every six months by a corgi registered plumber
a pat test on all electrical equipment annually
I had to write a risk assessment on my room
all surfaces have to be able to be wiped down so painted walls and wooden floors or tiles non slip
I have to have all safety data sheets on all the products I use including the sterilising fluids and sprays
my certificates were checked
a first aid kit and accident record book on hand
riddor information
waste disposal and handling of the substances
I think thats it
good luck with it

things like parking and nieghbours were dealt with the planning department totally separate up here

Thanks Suzy, I ve got most of what you have said covered, except I dont have a sink...though I do have access to both hot and cold water, so I am hoping this will be ok! I suppose I shall just have to wait and see!:)

I really wouldn't worry to much.

Every salon in the town I work in has had an inspection in the last few months.

If there is anything wrong then they give you 2 -3 months to rectify it (Well our local council do anyway)

Hiya

If only the council checked everyone
far to many NSS opening up

Jenx

If the H&S depts are doing this off their own backs it may be that the message is getting through to them that there are issues in our industry with regard to NSS salons. Surely this can only be a good thing as those of us who are qualified, work cleanly and within regulations can only benefit from recognised higher standards.

Well, I had my health & safety inspection this morning and I was worried over nothing as it went very well. :lol:

The inspector looked at my COSHH assessments, MSDS, disinfecting procedures, ventilation, RIDDOR, accident bok, first aid kit, certificates, insurance etc, we talked about Habia COP fr nail services and waxing.... She said that she was very pleased with the standards in my home salon, and is putting me forward for the local Beauty Salon awards for Health & Safety that the council run with Habia, so I'm a very happy bunny!!:)

Well, I had my health & safety inspection this morning and I was worried over nothing as it went very well. :lol:

The inspector looked at my COSHH assessments, MSDS, disinfecting procedures, ventilation, RIDDOR, accident bok, first aid kit, certificates, insurance etc, we talked about Habia COP fr nail services and waxing.... She said that she was very pleased with the standards in my home salon, and is putting me forward for the local Beauty Salon awards for Health & Safety that the council run with Habia, so I'm a very happy bunny!!:)

Blimey, well done you! :hug:

Thanks, I'm chuffed to bits!:)

Reeeeeeeeeeeeesult! Well done Sharron.

Latest posts

Back