Hello I'm new and have a colour question :-)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demeter

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to this site and I was hoping for some help with a little colour question.

I did hairdressing many years ago and don’t really do much nowadays.

My nephew’s friend wants me to colour her hair because she was so pleased with how I cut it. She has an asymmetric style (shorter version of Frankie from The Saturdays hair style)

She wants a rich chocolatey colour and really likes Wella Koleston 5/75 (light brunette mahogany). She also wants a lighter colour as flashes through the top.

She is naturally between a base 5 or 6 and I was just wondering what lighter colour would compliment 5/75?
She has virgin hair apart from an inch or so of colour on the ends on top from some previous high lights.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

How light does she want to be? You getting back into hairdressing full time?

She doesn't want to be too light, maybe about a 9, sort of caramel-y perhaps. I'm just not sure whether caramel would compliment the 5/75 because of the mahogany tone in it.

Have just checked a pic of her and she is nearer a base 6 than a 5.

Not sure about going back to hair full time but am tending to do a lot more friends and family at home these days.

She doesn't want to be too light, maybe about a 9, sort of caramel-y perhaps. I'm just not sure whether caramel would compliment the 5/75 because of the mahogany tone in it.

Have just checked a pic of her and she is nearer a base 6 than a 5.

Not sure about going back to hair full time but am tending to do a lot more friends and family at home these days.

See you should get back to it! You have just answered your own question, so about a base 9 and caramelly....9.3 well done you! And yes it will look great with 5.75 or 5/77 :)

Thank you for the vote of confidence :biggrin: I think that's my biggest down fall, i lack confidence in my own choices.

What % peroxide should i use with 9/3 -9% or 12%?

Thank you for the vote of confidence :biggrin: I think that's my biggest down fall, i lack confidence in my own choices.

If she is base 5 naturally, your aiming for 9 so....come on you know the answer lol 12% YAY!!!! Yu got it!

Confidence In Hairdressing is easy to get back slowly, and were here to help you!

9%, u only need 3 levels of lift!:wink2:

Whoops my bad!! I was still thinking she was base 5 not 6 sorry!

Thanks guys, I think that I'll go for the 12% as I want it to lift and be noticeable and she is quite brave so even if it's a bit lighter than a 9 she'll be fine with it and she is not quite as dark as a 5 but not a light as a 6.

Thanks again, you guys are very helpful and very welcoming :biggrin:

ok, the only tint which is made for use with 12% is a highlift, 9.3 will not work, it will be quite damaging to the the hair also u will lose most of the .3 tone as the 12% will be lifting far too much to deposite this! If u want the lighter bits to be lighter then use a golden hilift with 12% and flood with the 5.75 3%.:biggrin:
Thanks guys, I think that I'll go for the 12% as I want it to lift and be noticeable and she is quite brave so even if it's a bit lighter than a 9 she'll be fine with it and she is not quite as dark as a 5 but not a light as a 6.

Thanks again, you guys are very helpful and very welcoming :biggrin:

ok, the only tint which is made for use with 12% is a highlift, 9.3 will not work, it will be quite damaging to the the hair also u will lose most of the .3 tone as the 12% will be lifting far too much to deposite this! If u want the lighter bits to be lighter then use a golden hilift with 12% and flood with the 5.75 3%.:biggrin:

So if I want to lighten virgin hair by four levels colour won't do it? Hmm never heard that.

it will lighten it but u wont get your desired shade, thats why we use majimeche, hi/lifts etc!
So if I want to lighten virgin hair by four levels colour won't do it? Hmm never heard that.

10/0 and 40vol gives a lovely caramel colour x

Always go for lighter when doing highlights for a fashion colour because they get lost amongst darker hair.. If she is adventurous and wants the highlights to be really bold I'd opt for a highlift tint or a mild bleach.. U can always tone down with a toner.. If its not light enough ul have to start again and itl be harder to lift a tint! Good luck! :)

No never had this problem ever with matrix, but we all get taught differently and use different techniques.

I wouldn't have thought 9/3 would lift out clear enough. I would definately use a highlift tint or weak bleach too.

I would say if your looking for a bright but natural pop of colour then 12/17 with 12% would be lovely! Or if you want brighter again bleach & then tone. Don't forget your high lift tint needs a full hour to develop :)

I always find that lifting with bleach and 3% on dark hair always gives a cleaner result - although you may need to leave it on a tad longer. You get less warmth if you use a weak bleach as if u use too high a peroxide you'll end up more orangey than you'd like x

And it came out brilliantly. 1st I cut her hair so that I would be able to see exactly where to put the slices. I then put about 6-8 slices in diagonally through the top with bleach 6%, then coloured the rest of the hair with wella 5/75 3%. Then used the 9/3 3% as a toner. When I had finished blow-drying her hair was so glossy and the slices gave fab texture to the top layers. All in all I was over the moon with the results and so was she (in fact she was so happy that she's going to bring me back a gift when she goes to New York shopping next weekend).

sounds lovely, well done u! so glad u and your client liked it! x
And it came out brilliantly. 1st I cut her hair so that I would be able to see exactly where to put the slices. I then put about 6-8 slices in diagonally through the top with bleach 6%, then coloured the rest of the hair with wella 5/75 3%. Then used the 9/3 3% as a toner. When I had finished blow-drying her hair was so glossy and the slices gave fab texture to the top layers. All in all I was over the moon with the results and so was she (in fact she was so happy that she's going to bring me back a gift when she goes to New York shopping next weekend).

Latest posts

Back