Help - Applying Mascara for Make Up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlemiss1t

Reaction score
Hello All,

I did a wedding make up trial last night and one tricky thing to do is to apply mascara on someone else.

Any tips?

I can put mine on so nice and everyone comments on my eye lashes, but seems you cannot get to the root and make them extend.

If anyone has a secret, can you share?

Thanks

Carly x

hiya, i usually sit them up and get them to look down while i do the top lashes,i do a coat on the top then a coat on the bottom kind of curling it up at the ends. Then just get them to look up for the bottom ones, put tissue underneath the eye so you don't get it on there cheek!

Sometimes though i've had a few brides who are quite fussy with mascara and want to do it themselves!
hth
xx

Also try resting your little finger on them to help steady your hand - like when you're applying polish to nails!

Put the mascara on their bottom lashes first (both eyes), getting them to look up. Then get them to look down as you apply the mascara to their top lashes. I find that getting them to look down means that you can get more 'lift' on the lashes.

If you do it the other way round, when they look up so you can do their bottom lashes, it can cause the mascara to smudge on their skin.

to get to the base of the lashes, place the wand at the base of the hairs and wiggle it side to side, if you see what I mean?

I find it easy doing from behind with the client in a semireclined position, sounds strange but I find it does work, we were shown this method in college
get her to look down and do the top of the top lashes then get her to look ahead while you do the underneath of the upper lasher, brush through the length combing inbetween coats to seperate, on the last coat zigzag the wand on the outer lashes to give a thickening effect, while client is looking ahead carefully do the bottom lashes.

hope this makes sence

I watched a video on youtube the other day, showing a lady teaching make up application and when she put mascara on her model she had her own finger behind the upper lashes and the wand infront so it didnt affect the newly done eyeshadow. Thought this to be a cool trick. Hth

Julie

I also stand behind and slightly to the side of the client. I ask them to open eyes wide while I position wand as close as possible to the lash roots. I then ask them to close their eyes while I sweep on the mascara in a side to side motion, so it's open and close eyes until I get the lashes fully covered.
For lower lashes, I have already slightly dampened a cotton pad and cut in two, I place the halves tight below bottom lashes (same as tinting lashes) to catch any falling eyeshadow and stop mascara smudge. I use a lot of false eyelashes these days. I use a special mascara for plain ones and a little stiff brush (the one you get with brow powder and stencils) for the glitter lashes to blend in with the natural ones. Hope this helps. :)

Latest posts

Back