Help! My salon doesn't feel like my own!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcconnell1989

Reaction score
Hi, Just wanting to share my situation and see what other people think of it. As sometimes i'm not sure if i'm worrying about nothing but then on the other hand it's really bothering me..

I used to rent a room in a hairdressers but in june I moved to my own place and decided to rent 2 hair stations out to my hairdresser. (This wasn't someone from where I used to rent, this was my own hairdresser) We knew eachother only from me been a client so were not exactly friends but I liked the way she always did my hair and thought she would be good for my salon.

So, I bought the chairs, mirrors and basin etc and she basically just brought herself and her products. Obviously as she rents from me she is classed as self employed so I know she doesn't work for me but, she seems to have no respect for me when it comes to what I say in the salon. Eg. if I ever ask her to wash up on tidy something she looks at me as if to say 'who are you to tell me what to do' (I do clean myself btw so it's not like I get her to do my dirty work)

The main thing that is getting to me is certain things she says to her clients. It's almost as if they think the whole salon is hers the way they go on and they look at me as if to say 'who are you?' A few times new clients have come in and said things like, 'have you just opened here?' and she replies 'yes I have' I have!! As if it's hers... Or sometimes she goes out of her way to make it clear to clients that she doesn't work for me and that she is 'her own boss'

I'm sorry if this sounds silly but I have spend thousands on this place and not to mention hours of hard graft doing it all out and I just feel like she is taking it away from me.

How do other people cope who rent to others? I don't want to parade around shouting orders at people I just want my salon to feel my own.

I'd say have a talk to her to let her know who is boss and how you feel but she doesn't sound like someone this would work with.
I would tell her to get her things and clear off. If she stays she will only poison your business, sounds like this is happening already when her clients are looking at you as if to say who are you.

Your business, you need to protect it, kick her out.

I'd say have a talk to her to let her know who is boss and how you feel but she doesn't sound like someone this would work with.
I would tell her to get her things and clear off. If she stays she will only poison your business, sounds like this is happening already when her clients are looking at you as if to say who are you.

Your business, you need to protect it, kick her out.

Thanks for your reply..

You say i am boss, but I do not feel it. As she is self employed and so sure to make it clear she is her own boss, can i actually tell her what to do or say things to her?

You are not her boss, but you are her landlady,
put the duties in writing that you expect her to do her fair share of and the way you would like and expect her to respect you whilst renting space within your salon,
then get together, explain that you would like her to read this and if she agrees to your terms for her to sign and date it, (you sign and date it too)
you then have it on paper with her signature and when she is going against what you have both deemed as reasonable you can reminder of what she has signed,
this might help things to run smoother, hth

Its your salon, you set the standards and rules. Yes, she's self employed ... but she is renting space in your salon where you do the marketing, you get the clients in. I worked in a Complimentary Health Centre as a massage therapist on a similar basis.

While I was my own boss I still had to conform to the standards of the centre in which i was working. I had to represent and present the centre in a positive light ... as far as the client is concerned I was an employee - the fact I am self employed is a private agreement between myself and the centre.

You need to ensure you have a written contract outlining the terms of rental - and this needs to include standards of work, cleanliness, looking after the salon as a whole, not just your work area.

If you need legal advice I would strongly recommend joining the Federation of Small Businesses ... best £130 I spent!!

Mat

Hi,

You are both self employed and both your own boss. If you've rented an area to another person, then she must be responsible for keeping it clean and cleaning (washing up etc) the mess that comes from it. However, I wouldn't expect her to clean your areas etc.

This should have been sorted out in a contract. this would have defined exactly what she's responsible for and what she is expected to do etc, even things like a dress code.

I do hope you can sort this out, you definitely shouldn't feel awkward in you own salon.

jes

Latest posts

Back