Help. Newbie needs help on 'mature' clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blonde bombsite

Reaction score
Hi all. I know this is probably a mental question and shows my 'newness' to all this but, here goes... As previously mentioned, I only passed a two day course using UV Acrylics a fortnight ago. Went to do a friends nails today who was going to a wedding and suddenly five women all thought it would be a good idea to have theirs done to!! Whilst it was a nice little earner and good practice, I was unhappy with two of the more mature women's extensions. I was well chuffed with the job I had done (very smooth etc) - BUT- their nail plates were very short leaving not much nail to adhese the tip to. They wanted white tips which looked (in my opinion) unbalanced - in other words the white tips looked like they started half way down the nail. So, question is... in these circumstances, is the answer to simply use clear tips or would this be a situation where another system would be better suited? Any advice would be gratefully received.. Thanks folks! C

I don't use l&p I use gel but I would use clear tips on these type of nails and then after I had blended them thoroughly I would paint on a smile line and tip with white gel. That way you will still get a forever french look but a more balanced nail. I hope this helps you.

:wink2:

Thanks Lulu, I thought clear tips was what was needed. Just have to have a go at doing the white gel now!!! eegh, so much to learn........................

lulu8749 said:
I don't use l&p I use gel but I would use clear tips on these type of nails and then after I had blended them thoroughly I would paint on a smile line and tip with white gel. That way you will still get a forever french look but a more balanced nail. I hope this helps you.

:wink2:

you could use natural coloured tips aswell, if well blended they look really natural(!) which sometimes looks softer on mature ladies

Never use white tips on short nail beds they just look awful.
Apply clear tips and then apply white L&P to create a higher smile line that looks more natural.

Thanks guys. Having a newbie crisis!!! When people say 'blending', what exactly does this mean? Does it mean just the acrylic is blended over the tip or is it actually to do with blending the white l&p for the smile line?

lell said:
Never use white tips on short nail beds they just look awful.
Apply clear tips and then apply white L&P to create a higher smile line that looks more natural.

Blending is when you have glued the nail tip to the natural nail you take a file and blend in the seam of the tip to the natural nail, So if using clear l&p or gel you dont see the line where tip meets nail.
HTHS

Thanks Lell. Was hoping that was all it mean't! Gotta get to grips with all the terminology! So....to create the smile lines with l&p, do I just buy the very white powder and use with the acrylic liquid as normal, applying with a brush? Sorry..I know my questions are all basic stuff to you guys, but if you don't ask, you don't learn!! lol

lell said:
Blending is when you have glued the nail tip to the natural nail you take a file and blend in the seam of the tip to the natural nail, So if using clear l&p or gel you dont see the line where tip meets nail.
HTHS

We all have to start somewhere!

I know it's awful to 'generalise' BUT we have found that the majority of the more MATURE clients like to wear polish, that was what was 'in' when they were younger, french wasn't around..........so, natural tips and overlays (pink or clear in all 3 zones) and colour of their choice on top....beautiful!

Fiona W.

Latest posts

Back