Help please ... Introductory advert

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose143

Very Proud Creative Geek
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a good few regular clients and haven't done much advertising as I have been trying to improve on my training and knowledge. As most of you know I just recently did my CNFD course and have one more day on the 10TH of march!!! Yay!! :)

I need to get my timing down as I am averaging on 2 and a half hours to do a full set which is too long. My problem is, not all of my clients want extensions so I put an exclusive advert out to my boyfriends work just introducing myself and offering a full set of acrylic enhancements for £10.00, also explaining that i am still training with Creative nail. I put some business cards with the advert as well but asked them to please put their name and addess down and the best time to call and I will contact them. The reason I only sent to that company is because I was hoping to not have too many so that i could still fit my homework in between.

Have I done something wrong? :confused: Because I have only got 2 names already this week and 4 business cards have been taken. I made the advert short and sweet yet informative because they are a busy office. Am I being to hasty?

Also, there is an office manager there who is convinced that Acrylic is so bad for your nails and I am worried she has gone and told the other girls (paranoia strikes!!!!) :sad: I told my boyfriend to tell her its not bad for her nails and to phone me if she has any questions and I will be more than happy to explain to her. I know I am panicking but do you peeps think I am overeacting????

Sorry I know this is a long one and I don't expect things to happen overnight but i though who wouldn't spend £10.00 on enhancements????

You help would be greatly appreciated :hug:

Luv

Rose
xx

Hi all,

Just bumping this up again, haven't had a response yet, please help me, I need some advice as to where I might be going wrong, never done this before :cry:

Thanks

Rose143 said:
Hi All,

I have a good few regular clients and haven't done much advertising as I have been trying to improve on my training and knowledge. As most of you know I just recently did my CNFD course and have one more day on the 10TH of march!!! Yay!! :)

I need to get my timing down as I am averaging on 2 and a half hours to do a full set which is too long. My problem is, not all of my clients want extensions so I put an exclusive advert out to my boyfriends work just introducing myself and offering a full set of acrylic enhancements for £10.00, also explaining that i am still training with Creative nail. I put some business cards with the advert as well but asked them to please put their name and addess down and the best time to call and I will contact them. The reason I only sent to that company is because I was hoping to not have too many so that i could still fit my homework in between.

Have I done something wrong? :confused: Because I have only got 2 names already this week and 4 business cards have been taken. I made the advert short and sweet yet informative because they are a busy office. Am I being to hasty?

Also, there is an office manager there who is convinced that Acrylic is so bad for your nails and I am worried she has gone and told the other girls (paranoia strikes!!!!) :sad: I told my boyfriend to tell her its not bad for her nails and to phone me if she has any questions and I will be more than happy to explain to her. I know I am panicking but do you peeps think I am overeacting????

Sorry I know this is a long one and I don't expect things to happen overnight but i though who wouldn't spend £10.00 on enhancements????

You help would be greatly appreciated :hug:

Luv

Rose
xx

Spoken like a true scouser...."Carm down, Carm down"

You will be fine. 2.5 hrs for a full set when you are starting is fine by me. You would be better taking your time and getting it right. Most sensible clients understand that and appreciate the special service. They feel that they are getting their monies worth.

As for the woman who is bad mouthing acrylic. You can only educate some people. Get some good sets out there and she may just change her mind. You are always going to come up against this. Give people the correct facts that if they applied and removed correctly, they will not damage your nails. That's all you can do.

I threw myself into it like you have and was glad I did.

Charge a bit more though, if you are doing French. I started at £15 for a full set. Even up in Liverpool, I paid that when a new tech was doing mine!

Good luck. You wil have ups and downs, but perserver and you will come out on top!!

Hi Rose

Please don't think its anything you have done...it takes times to build up clientle, the best form of advertising is really word of mouth. How many clients have you now? Why don't you say to your existing clients that if they recommend a friend their re-balance is free. You know we all like a freebie :!: You will in time get your time down, between an hour and a half to two hrs is fine for a full set, spend good time on prep, the more time on prep means the nails should come back fab. Practise on yourself, if you can do a fab set of nails on you then you can do a fab set of nails on anyone. Remember you are only as good as the next set of nails. Good luck babe x

Okay hun I'll try and help you. PUt yourself in the potential clients shoes, if someone said they were doing haircuts at 25% of the normal going rate wouldn't you get a bit suspicious? You'd think what's wrong with them ,is she using dodgy cheap products, there must be a catch, you get what you pay for etc etc. So it may be that they are worried that you'll do a bad job, and with so many horror stories being bandied about how acrylic damages the nails it is probably compounding their fears.

Firstly I never advertise that I use only gel, for the very reason that if a person has a bad experience with a system then they blame the system and not the tech. So I only advvertise that I do nail extensions, then when I get a call I can explain about the REAL difference between the systems and not one based on rumour and myth.

Also your ads are probably lacking a need to respond, or a value for money offer. If you say that your sets are normally £30 but for a limited period they will be at £10, it not only creates a sense of urgency, but that they are also getting a mega bargain! Then when they phone you can enter into a dialogue and explain why you are giving the discount (ie still training), but you will instill a sense of confidence that will make them book.

But don't be despondant as you are getting enquiries. HTH

Hi All,

Thank you so much for your help. I have only 3 clients who have extensions everyone else is manicures and pedicures etc.

I did state on my advert that I am still in training which is why my price has been reduced so much. I stated that i am using creative nail products. I also stated that there is a limited time only - till end of April :o is that too long?????

I agree, I think I do need to prove them wrong. The nails I do look really good! My tutor from my creative nail course, Denise, thinks they are really really good, she said she would be very happy with them if someone left her salon with those nails. I on the other hand didn't agree but I am a perfectionist, so nothing is good enough. This is why I thought, £10.00 + lots of ladies = better nails than last week!!

I think you're right Sassy about the whole system thing and bad experiences. Should I then to an introductory offer on everything??? I agree about the low price but I thought to myself that if someone stated they were only training I wouldn't be so suspicious.

shelly said:
Hi Rose

Please don't think its anything you have done...it takes times to build up clientle, the best form of advertising is really word of mouth. How many clients have you now? Why don't you say to your existing clients that if they recommend a friend their re-balance is free. You know we all like a freebie :!: You will in time get your time down, between an hour and a half to two hrs is fine for a full set, spend good time on prep, the more time on prep means the nails should come back fab. Practise on yourself, if you can do a fab set of nails on you then you can do a fab set of nails on anyone. Remember you are only as good as the next set of nails. Good luck babe x

Hi Shelly,

I know what you mean, I think I'm gonna practice more on myself. I know that if I can get my nails down to a fine art I can do anyone's.

Thank you for your help!

Sassy Hassy said:
Okay hun I'll try and help you. PUt yourself in the potential clients shoes, if someone said they were doing haircuts at 25% of the normal going rate wouldn't you get a bit suspicious? You'd think what's wrong with them ,is she using dodgy cheap products, there must be a catch, you get what you pay for etc etc. So it may be that they are worried that you'll do a bad job, and with so many horror stories being bandied about how acrylic damages the nails it is probably compounding their fears.

Firstly I never advertise that I use only gel, for the very reason that if a person has a bad experience with a system then they blame the system and not the tech. So I only advvertise that I do nail extensions, then when I get a call I can explain about the REAL difference between the systems and not one based on rumour and myth.

Also your ads are probably lacking a need to respond, or a value for money offer. If you say that your sets are normally £30 but for a limited period they will be at £10, it not only creates a sense of urgency, but that they are also getting a mega bargain! Then when they phone you can enter into a dialogue and explain why you are giving the discount (ie still training), but you will instill a sense of confidence that will make them book.

But don't be despondant as you are getting enquiries. HTH

Thanks again for your help Sassy, you really speak alot of sense!!

I didn't have much time to reply earlier. I did state my normal rate that charge on the add to as well as a limited time "thingy"

Just spoke to my boyfriend an he has put the advert onto his work's website which is apparently looked at daily. So cross your fingers for me, I am hoping this will do it. I only need one lady to go around and show off her beautiful nails ... that's what's going through my head right now!!!

I do have a new client tomorrow as well as next week thursday (a nail biter!!! - my first :eek: Hope I do okay

Latest posts

Back