Help please, white marks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimmyB66

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am having a bit of trouble with white marks on some of my clients nails when i am removing gelish polish. I leave fingers in acetone with foam pad and pink caps on fingers for 10 mins and then check, putting back on if some wont come off. Someone has suggested i am scraping too hard, but im really not. Can anyome help? I think i may loose a couple of customers if i cannot correct this!
I use a wooden orange stick, NO metal tools.

Attachments

• IMG_0789.JPG
    IMG_0789.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 318
When nails have been soaked in any liquid for 10 mins the nail plate softens and becomes vulnerable. Any form of scraping, even gentle, can cause damage. I use an orange wood stuck to lift off any loose coating then I use a hands down pad soaked in remover to get rid of any remaining product.

I refuse to scrape off anything from a nail. I know its the way it is suggested by cnd but nope, i refuse. After soaking i get a dampened makeup pad and scrub the nail gently. With any remaining product i lightly buff off with a 240grit white block. No damage whatsoever

Hi All,
I am having a bit of trouble with white marks on some of my clients nails when i am removing gelish polish. I leave fingers in acetone with foam pad and pink caps on fingers for 10 mins and then check, putting back on if some wont come off. Someone has suggested i am scraping too hard, but im really not. Can anyome help? I think i may loose a couple of customers if i cannot correct this!
I use a wooden orange stick, NO metal tools.

Yes, I have also had this battle. So here's what I heard. 1- it could be damage. Ok, I switched to shellac base and shellac xpress top coat. (I was using gelish.) Bam. Waaay less effort to get polish off. It literally falls off. Also I heard it could be a fungus from moisture still trapped on the top layers of the nail plate and then when I cover it up again, the mildew begins. I was finding white spots under regular polish as well so I now do NO buffing on the nail pate whatsoever, make sure nail has a few extra minutes to dry out (put in front of heater), then apply polish or gel polish. Using all of these techniques have helped reduce any new spots. IBX on existing white spots. Also we noticed that the white spots disappear after about 20 min under gel polish. Weird, huh? My client wanted french polish and we were scared to do french because the white spots would show and we did it anyway and she called me 20 min later saying the white spots have disappeared!! YAY!! So now I can reassure them that they will fade very fast but will return when we take off polish but with new techniques hopefully no more damage or fungus (not sure which).

Last edited:
Hi All, thanks for all your comments.
If i only removed flaky polish with orange stick, and rubbed the rest off with pad and remover i think i would be there all day! I'm obviously doing something different to you, Pure & Kirstie1980.
I am going to leave fingers wrapped for 15 mins and see if it makes more of the polish fall off. I have watched the Gelish video and i am doing exactly as they say except i have a very soft nail left underneath. So, Pure i think what you have said is correct, and it is me marking the nail. I also watched Andrea B of Chickettes video and her polish fell off!! That's what i want to achieve. So first thing i'm gonna try is longer soaking.
Kenna - interesting stuff! I don't think its fungus, but your spots disapearing is a weird one! I use IBX and will be putting it on this client. Have you found it ok mixing brands together (Shellac & Gelish) does the finished gel nails last as long?
I have also been wondering if my cheap 100% acetone remover was doing damage and that i ought to buy a remover with additives. After trawling through all the ingredients of Gelish remover i have come to the conclusion it could be a rip off. All the other ingredients apart from the acetone are fragrances, and i don't think that will help your nail.

to help with removal make sure you base and top coat go on as thinly as possible :)

I found that if base coat is applied a little too thick then removal is more difficult and white marks are left behind. The white marks are excess base coat. Just soak again for a minute to two and wipe.

Have tried pure acetone but it left the finger temporarily white (ugly) so I switched to shellac remover. Also, I finish one finger completely before going to the next. If I take off all the foil then go back to take off leftover residue, then it dries on nail making it hard to get off. Yes, I use my shellac base and shellac xpress top coat With all my gel polishes. I also recently started trying Chickettes acrygel technique. Seems to work pretty good giving strength and polish stays on better but nails are a bit thicker and adds 6-7 min to service.

Last edited:
Hi All,
An update - removed Gelish from my 2 problem ladies this morning. Gave the nails a good buff first removing most of the top coat, then left the acetone on for 15 mins. One ladies nails looked just like chickettes - all peeled off lovely. :) So i used a cotton pad with acetone on it to wipe away gel bits. But her nails still had lots of white marks on them, just like before :( I did cutlcle work next leaving the nails to 'dry out', then lightly buffed with 240 grit block, and low and behold the white marks disapeared! :confused: How odd, now im really confused. Explanation anyone please?

Where the nails have white marks means the nails are damaged, the surface of the nail will have been roughed up and then dried out with acetone. Unfortunately the nail plate is dead, it can not repair itself, so you see those white marks are possibly the marks from before, you will have to wait for them to grow out too see a difference. Have you tried IBX? It helps to reduce and prevent those white spots. You also need your client to work with you and use a good quality cuticle oil like solar oil on her nails at least 2-3 times a day and she will notice a big improvement in these white marks as well :)

Yes, I agree w/ Noreen. you can buff off the dead layer and they appear to be gone but they will return. so, I would ibx and let it grow out. Meanwhile use shellac base coat so you don't have to buff nail plate any further. Keep letting nail plate dry out before reapplication. Solar oil!

Thanks to you all for your replies. I do use IBX and have already done 1st application on these clients. They are having a break from gel polish for their next one or two visits, just IBX and a mani, so hopefully the damage will grow out. I will have to get some shellac base coat and give it a try. Many thanks Ladies x

It's dehydration from the acetone/remover, I find after about 30 min to an hour it disappears

I have to say I always think you should have a nail holiday and give them a rest from gel polish and Extensions let them breathe you will soon see them look better ...ibx and a nice mani[emoji106] instead xx

I have to say I always think you should have a nail holiday and give them a rest from gel polish and Extensions let them breathe you will soon see them look better ...ibx and a nice mani[emoji106] instead xx
Given that for many this is our main source of income, we don't want to be telling our clients to have a break do we?

Provided any nail coating is applied, maintained and removed correctly, with the health of the natural nail being paramount, then damage is avoidable and a 'break' unnecessary.

Also, I'm sure you are aware that nails do not 'breathe'. Oxygen/nutrients is supplied to the nail via the blood not the air.

Try using the shellac remover! I love this and don't have many problems with white spots! But using acetone before I did, worth a go with your problem clients, and Definitely solar oil as retail!!!

Given that for many this is our main source of income, we don't want to be telling our clients to have a break do we?

Provided any nail coating is applied, maintained and removed correctly, with the health of the natural nail being paramount, then damage is avoidable and a 'break' unnecessary.

Also, I'm sure you are aware that nails do not 'breathe'. Oxygen/nutrients is supplied to the nail via the blood not the air.
I didn't say stop doing everything.....but do a alternative treatment....for a change!!!

I didn't say stop doing everything.....but do a alternative treatment....for a change!!!
Again, providing product is applied, maintained and removed correctly, ensuring the health of the natural nail, then a break should not be needed. Clients should be able to have enough confidence in us and our products that they can continue to have their chosen treatment without damage or need for a break.

I really wish techs would stop using the term "breathe", like nails have lungs .

Latest posts

Back