Help with blow dry technique

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VintageCat

Reaction score
Hi as above I need help I'm great with mid to long hair and can get really curly hair quite straight but I'm stuck when it comes to the older client anything that looks like a shampoo and set and i can't do it I have no confidence in myself with these styles has this affected anyone else and what did you do to sort it these are the customers who make up around 70% of business where I work so I need to get good and fast thank you xx

Hi there!

I used to get nervous with older ladies who liked their blow dry to last 'the week'. Don't worry though just tale your time, think about what they've asked of you, if it's plenty height and you know their hair is very soft and flyaway choose a good volume mousse..it's all in the prep really feel and asses the hair, this takes time and experience.

With the technique same rules apply, I actually find older ladies much easier than anything now - it's almost a set with a brush if you like! Think about the direction you want the hair to sit, especially round the front.

If you don't get as much height in the top as you'd like, remember you can out 3 or 4 larger setting rollers in and pop them under the dryer for 10! x

I used to find this really tricky and remember trying to perfect the art of blowdrying 'sausages' I think its one of them things that practise will make perfect,, try to find a nice blowdrying lotion with lots of hold also always found a nice shot of cool air while hair was still wrapped in brush helps.

I use a small brush, lift away from the roots & keep twisting the brush around wind it up to the root & blast with warm air let it out the brush & leave it.
Do that all the way around in the way you want the hair to sit, sides, back, top, fringe etc (leave the hair undressed out)
When it's all in, use the cool setting on your hairdryer & go over directing with your fingers the position of the hair.
Again using fingers dress out with hair spray & use some light tonging IF it's needed/wanted :)

This is the way I do it & practice makes perfect! So keep trying :)

yep I used to be the exact same with blowdrying this style but definately think about how you want it to look and whereyou want it to sit especially round the front ie is it all coming back, or is there a few 'rolls' down the sides? just use a small round brush and keep twisting when i wasnt confident with this I would use small tongs to give it a more polished look but now I enjoy achieving the style as a blowdry - keep practicing!

Thanks geeks will definitely keep practicing my mums hair will be perfect not sure if she will like the look lol but thank you all for the advice xxxx

Hey geeks just to let you know think I got the technique sorted it takes me a little longer but I'm happy and so are my ladies thank you for your help girls xxx

Hey geeks just to let you know think I got the technique sorted it takes me a little longer but I'm happy and so are my ladies thank you for your help girls xxx

Also in time you will master the art and your blow dry will be strong enough not to need to use tongues, my first boss always said if your blow dry is strong enough it will last longer without tongues!! X

Latest posts

Back