Help with pc

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah Lou

Scatty Blonde Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi geeks,

Since my pc crashed a few months back, On the windows desktop I now keep getting a pop up from network connections. Its saying 'such a such' is requesting access to the internet which connection do you want to use?

I get ones from msn, and all sorts of other programmes. Its something to do with a dial up connection I think, does anyone know how I can get rid of these. I keep clicking cancel but then another one pops up.

I had them before but a friend of hubbys sorted it but we have lost contact.

Any help would be coolio

Sarah...Hi!
I had this not so long back...seems one of my darling teenage daughters had managed to download a premium rate dialer thing!
LOL now...but golly at the time I was one angry bunny! :irked:
Try going into your Control Panel and look under Internet Connections and see if there is anything different in there......I noticed something called GBDialler and managed to delete it from the list of choices in there everso easily! The one thing I kept noticing was that my internet connection kept dropping and then asing me to re-connect....fortunately Im with Telewest(cable) and they had already blocked premium rate numbers on my line as a standard. Therefore the premium rate dialler couldnt connect anyway!
Im hoping this helps for you!
Keep us posted Hun!

Thanks Jackie, I had the mostrar dialler before it stuck itself on my desktop and refused to budge no matter how many times I deleted it.

In the end I went into the registry and deleted it myself, I was very brave but also very proud cos this thing had taked residency on my desktop and i got rid.

I don't think its a dialler, something to do with the network connections and dial up. Maybe i should disable dial up facility, even though im on bb and it says do not delete.

Confused!

oooh....now Im out of my depth....blonde and technophobic me!!! :wink2:
LOL!!
Hopefully one of the Techygeeks among us will show willing and advise....
There was a site I went on a few years ago called www.annoyances.org
I used to find some answers to my PC dilemmas.....you have to trawl a bit or post the query as logically as poss for someone to answer it. "Logical" and "PC's" tho were words that never went in the same sentence with me!!! :zzz:
Ohhh Hun...hope you get it sorted....I just thought your predicament sounded awfully like mine did just before christmas!

Thanx hun, Im gonna have a look at that site. I hope you didnt have a hefty phone bill with your dialler, I was lucky to be on broadband so they, whoever the hackers were couldnt use my number haha.

Why cant pc's just be simple!

The message you are getting is most likley because your normal default internet connection has been changed somehow to another (prob a self installing dialler).

Easy way to find it is open up IE (internet explorer) go to tools, then into internet options, look for the connections tab at the top and it will list your internet connections you have installed with one say (default) next to it.

If this (default) connection is the offending dialler delete it then click on the right dialler and set it as your default.

If the doesn't help let me know as there could be further causes.

BTW if u r on BBand u shouldn't have any normal phone dialer in there anyway.

techygeek said:
The message you are getting is most likley because your normal default internet connection has been changed somehow to another (prob a self installing dialler).

Easy way to find it is open up IE (internet explorer) go to tools, then into internet options, look for the connections tab at the top and it will list your internet connections you have installed with one say (default) next to it.

If this (default) connection is the offending dialler delete it then click on the right dialler and set it as your default.

If the doesn't help let me know as there could be further causes.
I had a feeling you would help! :cool:
Thats how I wanted to put it....but "Technical" aint me! :o
Thats wot happened to me!.......fortunately NO great big bills got run up! Cus I had this premium rate barring thing on my phone line I think I was lucky!.....I understand that this barring is not to be assumed safer than safe! Telewest told me not to assume safety on that alone!....each time the premium rate dialler tried to connect..the line just barred and stopped it!
Hope you get sorted Sarah.... Techygeek is ya saviour on this one!

If a dialler has installed itself on your pc, deleting it more often than not, is useless as it will have embedded itself into your startup files so that every time you start up your pc, it will come straight back again. Deleting items from your registry is really not recommended unless you have someone with you who knows what they're at. I'm glad it worked out for you though Sarah. :)

Here's what you need to do: (This works for Win ME and Win 98, cant say for Win XP)
Click on 'Start' (bottom left of screen), scroll up and click on 'run', type in 'msconfig' and click on 'ok'. This brings up your sys config utility. Click on the 'startup' button and this will reveal all the programmes that are being called up when you start your pc. Hey hey.... dont panic! *LOL* Scroll down and see if there's anything that looks related to your new dialler friend. If there is, uncheck the box beside it and then click on 'cleanup' at the bottom of the window. Click on 'apply' and exit. Remember, this may be only the first step depending on how sophisticated the dialler is, if it persists, we'll need to go to stage 2.

boy am i glad its not me doing this!!!!?
:Scared:
Sarah....Im with you on this.....PC's simply are not simple!......
Thanks to Techy and Seanny tho.....Im learning bits as I go along! :hug:

In reply to Seanny XP is the same, msconfig works on XP, but like we both said it could be something entirely different.

Went into tools, internet connections as suggested, all theat was in there was, bt voyager adsl modem, (my bb) and my isp, just 2 items, the adsl modem is set to default. Should I delete my isp.

Forgot too add Seanny I went into start up, ummmm aint got a clue what half of it is and I cant copy paste.

Sarah, you're on a broadband connection, is that right? If so, to the best of my knowledge you should be relatively safe from diallers. Your problem sounds more like spyware or malware to me. This can be the result of downloading software from the net which has the malware integrated into it. Some which have been known to do this are certain types of 'free' smileys and free screensaver programmes. Before you download anything, always do a review on the net and see what other people are saying about it.

Try and think back, have you, or has anyone with access to your pc, downloaded and installed any free stuff lately? If you can narrow this down, it would be a great help. If you cant remember, I think the only option is to run adaware on your pc. Its a programme that scans for some of those things I mentioned earlier. If you want to do this, and indeed everybody should do it occasionally, pm me and I'll give you some instructions on how best to carry it out.

In the meantime, dont delete anything! :)

Yes I am on bb, Nothing free has been installed, I allready have spyware adaware and one other run it every friday religiously, I Know this aint a dialler, its something to do with my pc crashing and not resetting properly

Hi Sarah, do you have a firewall installed and working? What program is trying to connect? Where is it trying to connect to? Any ideas?

here's a stop gap that should work for the mo'. Go back into 'tools', then 'internet options', then 'connections'. For each connection you have, click once on the connection and select 'never dial a connection'. This should stop any program trying to connect automatically.

Once you've done the above, you will now need to start up your internet connection manually when logging on, clicking on an internet icon wont do it. You can of course create a shortcut on your desktop. Double click 'my computer', select 'dialup networking', right click on your normal connection, and select 'create shortcut'. This will place a dial-up shortcut on your desktop, you can now drag this and drop it onto your toolbar for easy access.

Latest posts

Back