Help with settling into a new beauty job

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautyjo34

Reaction score
Hi all. Needing some advice beauty related.

I've recently started a new job as a therapist a salon that's predominantly hairdressing but has a beauty salon also.

I was really positive about it got my product training in 2 months time for facials and also getting eyelash extension training. I'm working part time to eventually go full time to replace a really popular therapist who is moving on in a few weeks time.

However I feel under pressure to live up to this therapists reputation as she is handing all her clients to me, and they love her as she is such a good therapist and personalises each treatment and has such a good rapport with her clients. I am so nervous that I will be trying so hard to emulate her that I won't be able to act natural and be myself.

Also this salon has a lot of emphasis on retailing, be it products or services. I had a difficult first Saturday where the beauty salon was quiet and hairdressing was busy and was expected to go up to hairdressing clients to introduce myself offer them a file and polish and also to talk about beauty services with the hope of getting them to book in. Sounds ok but I just felt so nervous especially as I had only just started working at the place and I just felt it so hard to find the right words to say and felt like I was being looked at like I was an idiot for approaching them. Felt so unnatural to me and nerves completely got in the way. At one point I felt like I was going to start crying, had to try retail a hand cream and felt like such a sales pusher. The fact I was aware that management were watching me also put me off.

I managed to get a few file and polishes and got a lady upstairs for an eyebrow and lip wax, which was good but the lady I was asked to retail the hand cream to went really weird as soon as I spoke to her about it and ended up being rude to the hairdresser as a result and I felt like it was my fault as I mucked up the retailing. Bearing in mind I've not had my product training was told to research it online before approaching her. I told them it was too much on the first day and they were u understanding and said they would ease me into it but this was a big part of my role and the reason I was hired was because they thought I could do it.

So I'm just really looking for retailing tips and how to be natural and not pushing your services and products into hair clients. I don't want to give the salon a bad reputation. I've had spa experience mostly and is so different to what I'm used to. But I want to do well.

Speak to the owner about getting you trained in retail quick because it will help with your selling ,in the meantime do as much research about the products you sell so when you do approach clients you will have the information about the products also what i find helps is to try the products yourself so you can explain how they feel and what it does, also just be yourself i your not confident at the moment then just fake it till you are confident and remember if you love the products then it becomes easier to sell so try them on you.

I know that its part of the job blah blah blah, but I REALLY hate it when managers do this on someones first day. Its cringeworthy for the poor therapist having to approach people that they have absolutely no information on, no rapport with and they probably just want to have their hair done in peace!! Its obvious that they are all watching and making some kind of judgement on how good a therapist he/she is without taking into account how nerve wracking it is walking up to a complete stranger and trying to get them to have their nails done….sorry for the rant! You will feel much more confident once you have done your training and once you have seen the clients a few more times in the salon. I think just having general chit chat with people while they are waiting for their appointment or when you hand them a cup of tea and casually mentioning that you are new to the salon and you have some free time if they would like a manicure is much easier all round than approaching them while they are sat with the stylist. As for products, as previously said, just do lots of research until you complete your training, but be honest if someone asks you something you aren't sure about..you can double check online and get back to them in a few minutes. Most decent people would understand if you said that you are still learning all the information, but that you use it personally and the properties are this, this and that…most clients aren't too interested in the science anyway!

Thanks ladies they are being really good giving me good advice and easing me think now they've seen in good with clients in treatment they are willing to help me out during the quieter times. But I do agree with you there ruby s I told them it was too much on the first Saturday and they were understanding. I'm enjoying the new job so far

Latest posts

Back