help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauty_blue19

Reaction score
hi I'm new to this.. I've typed in questions in Google and they all lead to this site so I thought I'd sign up and ask you my questions as you all seem really good at this and I desperately need help!

Basically I'm only 19! I've been studying beauty therapy for the last 3 years! I have my level 1 and I'm a qualified nail technician and I'm currently at college nearly completed my level 2!
I've just been given the biggest opportunity of my life! My best friend's dad has just brought a tanning shop and they offered me some space to put a bed and a nail table in so I grabbed the opportunity and I'm going for it!
I've done the measurements and I've ordered all my stuff.... I haven't got my own private room but I bought 3 large black room dividers, firstly is that ok?
Also as I'm a trainee still my tutor told me I cant get insurance yet? can any one give me any advice at all on what I need to do and do I have to contact my council and let them know?
I read on here that I can't register as self employed before I set up, I just have to do it in the first three months? and also I really want to sell and use OPI products... do I have to get permission? I've emailed 2 people about it but they haven't replied.

This is all happening so fast it's scaring me. I only got offered 2 weeks ago! I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right and not get in trouble. I also have loads of Skin Truth products that I didn't use at college, I was just going to use this for treatments at first to save money... again I have emailed Skin Truth but not heard?!
The only treatments I plan to do are acrylic nail extensions, manicure, pedicure, eyelash perming, eyelash and brow tinting and eyebrow shape/wax. Do you think they are suitable treatments to do in a tanning shop and with the wax I know the council has to pick it up but that's what I've learnt from college. I don't no how to go about getting it picked up and prices and where to get the special bin from...

Any advise would be really appreciated thank you for taking the time to read this, I know it's long lol! x

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Welcome to the site. From what you say you are already qualified in acrylic nails, this means you could start off offering these to your clients and get insured to do nails. You can get insurance through various companies, I personally use professional beauty for insurance . If you can build up a client base for nails you can then bring in more treatments once you have finished your level 2 and get insured for the beauty treatments.

Personally if I was you I wouldnt use the skintruth products as they are more of a training brand (as you say you used them in college). Have a look on the search facility for product ranges, I have just taken on eve taylor for facials and their products are lovely.

You dont need to register as self employed until you have been trading for 3 months, then you contact the inland revenue and they will help you with the process.

Good luck with your new business:)

hi, thankyou for all the info and advise! i think i will start off with just extentions then. im newly qulified so should i do them at a cheap price to start off with? i don't want people to come to me because im doing them cheap then when im 100% confident bump the price up and lose my clients though :S i went on that website i didnt realise how cheap it would be to insure i think il go with them thankyou for that :D and il defo take your advise on the skin truth products! thanks again i really appriciate it :) x

hi and congratulations.

only offer treatments that you are qualified in, and add to your treatment menu as you qualify.

get your insurance sorted firstly, you can also get student cover, but as for taking payment you will only be covered by your insurance for treatments that you hold a valid qualification for.

tomorrow walk around your area and neighbouring areas and pick up leaflets from other beauty salons. this will give you an idea of what your competition is offering and their prices. do not undercut, go for a price that you feel comfortable with charging.

then get some biz cards and leaflets/postcards made up, vistaprint are a good start, you can use the postcards as adverts in shop windows.

network, go out there with a big smile on your face, go to all the shops around you and introduce yourself and ask if you can leave a few of your biz cards/postcards with them. some of them may even display your card in their window.

think about what image you are wishing to portray. if you are going to be cheap and cheerful then skin truth is fine. if you are looking at someone who can afford to come for a fortnightly/monthly treatment, then think about getting a more prestige range in.

branding, decide what your biz name is going to be, think of an image that portrays it and use it on all of your stationery and adverts, eg if you call your company Rose Beauty, and you find a picture that you like that depicts a rose, use that picture on your biz cards, postcards, posters, compliment slips, treatment menus, etc, then people will start to recognise you by your advertising. Vistaprint have a huge gallery that you can browse through and use, or you can purchase a picture on a site like fotolia, do not just google an image and take it as most are protected under copyright law.

give your biz cards out to all of your friends, colleagues, college friends, parents, etc, and ask them to give them out to as many people as they can, ask people to take your leaflet into work to display on noticeboards. ask for help! ask them to advertise you.

get your poster up in the tanning shop window straightaway, advertise the date that you intend to start.

hope that helps and good luck.

you have been a mazzive help! thankyou :D im going to go out and just do it! you'v really insipred me actuarly and thanks for the great ideas. if i was to have my own name other than the tanning shop would i have to register it and how would i go about that? thanks again so much it meas alot :) its putting alot in perspective for me! xxx

I would start off offering the nails. You should be qualified in beauty by next month so you can start taking bookings for when you complete your level 2.
Opi nails polishes can be bought from Sallys by the general public so you should have no problem getting that.
You are qualified in nails so you will be able to buy trade.
Try; Ellisons, Aston and Fincher, Beauty express, Salons direct.
Just ring around and get some catalogues and have a look through those.
Not sure what the dividers are like so can't comment but if someone was having say a bikini wax they would want it in a partitioned area?
Look at it from your point of view and see if you would want to be treated in that kind of space. Also if you are doing nail extensions in the same area you have to think of the smell of fumes lingering when doing other treatments after.
It's hard to get a job in beauty now so you are right to jump at the chance.
Good luck x

Latest posts

Back