Hi, new mature student!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen_C

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I am starting a part time course in February and am ridiculously excited lol :lol:!!! I am going into this with my eyes open, I think, I'm not expecting to do the course and then become an employed hairdresser overnight and can't afford to quit my day job but was wondering if there are any other people out there who have trained as a matue student like me and manage to gain full-time employment in the industry and if anybody has any advice it will be most greatly appreciated!!!
Sorry to waffle!
Jen xx

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I am starting a part time course in February and am ridiculously excited lol :lol:!!! I am going into this with my eyes open, I think, I'm not expecting to do the course and then become an employed hairdresser overnight and can't afford to quit my day job but was wondering if there are any other people out there who have trained as a matue student like me and manage to gain full-time employment in the industry and if anybody has any advice it will be most greatly appreciated!!!
Sorry to waffle!
Jen xx

Hi Hun I did my training at 23 as an apprentice with one day a fortnight in college, I'm now 2 years later mobile with a good part time clientelle and work around my little girl being in school and hubby being in the army. It can be done and I'd say salon experience is so valuable so even if you offer to volunteer once a fortnight in a salon it would make a big difference xx

Yeah I'm getting that vibe from the site it's just plucking up the courage to approach a salon and ask if they'd let me volunteer! I work full-time mon-fri and college is gonna be 2 evenings a week so think every Saturday would be too much but fortnightly I could defo do! I'm just so excited to start, I wanted to do this at 16 but my parents wouldn't let me and have worked in prisons for the last 4 years but defo wanna go for it! X

Yeh you should go for it Hun, there is always someone willing to give ya a chance. I never wanted to be mobile but due to a posting with hubby I had to leave the salon I trained in, the town we are in isn't very big so there are no real good salons as far as I know so I just bit the bullet and I'm really enjoying it now! I really hope you go for it and do keep us updated :) xx

You can make it :) I did my training at 25, still working to get money coming. While doing college and job and got assistant position in salon which helped me a lot! It is posiable. Good luck x

Latest posts

Back