Highlights

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi, I am a level 2 hairdresser and have only been mobile for 7 months...Two days ago i did highlights on a two inch regrowth, her base was a 7 so i used a 9.0 6% peroxide and a 10.0 with 9% peroxide, she has just messaged me telling me can i do them again because the regrowth can still be seen, should i have used bleach? I didnt think i needed to or should i do my foils thicker as i do them quite fine but close together.

I am redoing them tomorrow so should I use bleach with 6% to get a better lift she will be happier with? Or reuse the colour? Im using yellow by alfaparf (red box) at the moment as that's what my salon used but should i try another brand?

Million questions apologies! Any help would be fab. Thank you :)

If you roots are still showing you have either chosen the wrong colour or your sections have been too fine,you won't have much of a contrast in colour with the 2 you have used,what depth is the existing blonde you are trying to match?

If she says she can still see regrowth then either you havent put as much colour in as was done last time (either too fine or too far apart) or you're not getting your foils close enough to the roots. Also if her natural is a 7, and you want a 9 then you are lifting 2 shades so i would use 9% and with the 10 you are lifting 3 shades so i would use 12%.

Did you think the highlights were good when you left her or were you unhappy with them yourself?

If she is happy with the actual colour of the blondes you've put in then go back through with some more, if she thinks its too dark, use lightner with 3% or a highlift.

hope this helps x

Ahhh so ive used the wrong strength peroxide? I honestly never use 12% unless its a highlift. I always thought 9% lifts upto 3 shades and 6% lifts one, i will try the 12% tomorrow as id rather not use bleach to get a brighter result.

I was happy to be honest but it was at night under a kitchen light which wasnt ideal, I will do my foils a little thicker as i thought if i do them fine but close together it would work out better with the regrowth. The existing blonde there i tried to match was bleach which she said had been toned and obviously turned a bit yellow/brassy over the time her roots have grown through...i told her I dont think she needed bleach with a base as 7 and the mid lengths being quite dry already.

Thank you both for some great advice, I will update on here with a before and after photo tomorrow

You're right she doesnt need bleach if she wants a natural result.

As a rule of thumb i always do,

Darker, 1 shade of lift or covering white hair 6%
2 shades of lift 9%
3 shades of lift 12%

Remember when you are lifting you are exposing warmth, so you can use cool tones to counteract them.

Good luck for tomorow x

Jamiereid92 is spot on and see it as a positive , you won't make the same mistake again.good luck x

So i did them again today, closer together, thicker and upped the % of peroxide, blended so much better and brighter! Thank you so much for all your help ladies & gents.

Fab support xxx

Latest posts

Back