Home hair colouring kit sales soar?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salon doctor

Reaction score
this should be of interest to everyone on this forum as they are either a salon owner or a mobile hairdresser, we have been discussing with salons over the uk why their colour business is going down the way instead of up.

here is a short section of just one site that confirms this

After years of struggling for growth, sales of home hair color reached an estimated $1.9 billion last year, up 3.1% from the previous year, according to Mintel. The research firm estimates sales will rise almost 16% more over the next five years, reaching $2.2 billion in 2016.

and here is the link to that one site

Boxed Hair Color Sales Rise as Clairol, L'Oreal Introduce Foams - WSJ.com

if you read visit this site you will also see that it states

Large brands have online questionnaires. Later this month, L'Oréal Paris plans to launch My L'Oréal Colorist, a shade-finder app for smartphones, which consumers can use in stores to scan a UPC code and help find the right shade.

so in reality this loreal app is now in existance ! and is perfect to get your hard earned loyal clients to consider the chemists box colour at about £6

we also have studied other manufacturers goals, including P & G and schwarzkopf who are doing the same thing !!!

how it works is to assist the buyer in making sure that they choose the correct hair colour in the shop , hey presto she buys the product.

AS IF THATS NOT BAD ENOUGH !

loreal have brought out another app aimed at the professional sector that gets your salon client to do their VERY OWN CONSULTATION AT HOME !
and then come in to the salon and tell you how it should be done and she can even print out a sheet and bring it to you in the salon !!!!

one of the manufacturers sites even has a lady saying " wow now i can skip my salon "

So...... if these big manufacturers are trying to take our colour clients from us and the evidence is all over the internet, should we be supporting them by having their products in our salons ????????

The fox is truly in the hen house guys.....wake up !!!!

I agree with this, I don't understand why l'oreal (a professional brand) keep bringing out box colours etc for the public to purchase and do themselves at home. It takes business away from hard working professionals x

Also that would irritate me if a client came in and told me what colours to use etc! X

OH I NEARLY FORGOT !!!!!

all the salon owners out here should know, that the loreal professional app asks
( YOUR CLIENT FOR THEIR PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS ) !!!!!!!

and you know why they are doing that guys dont you ?????

they are getting your clients personal details !!!!

this is a perfect example of how the big boys are going to get to your personal client base and then they can send out an email to potentially millions of salon clients to tell them how amazing there latest ( HOME HAIR COLOUR IS ) !!!!

OUR BUSINESSES ARE UNDER THREAT, MOBILE AND SALONS COMBINED !

Clients look at box colours see a picture on the front and think their hair will be that colour. Hence why you see girls with about 5 colours in bands down their hair.

These colours have always been around, and with bleaches and removers available the problems are never ending.

I don't think this will stop clients going to salons though.

There's a company now that you answer questions then they send you a "professional" tint and peroxide through the post.

The thing with things like this is they're a gimmick. If they worked hairdressers wouldn't have to train for years on every aspect of colouring.

Yes clients will try them, but a lot will answer the questions wrong and get terrible results.

We've all had the client who swears blind they don't have any colour on their hair because the semi they put on has faded, or they coloured it 6 months/1 year ago so it's grown out now.

we all know that these home products and processes are nuts...however...what it does to us is that it plants the seed in the clients mind and then they think oh well i will give it a go and save a few quid and hey presto....colour correction and client is mega embarassed and goes to another salon !!!

and these bloomin youtube vids about how to colour your own hair are getting like 300 thousand views !!!

no wonder its causing us troubles, they may come back but it still upsets the flow of everyday salon business...

Sounds like you're targeting the wrong sort of client then.

Plenty of clients never consider using box dyes as they don't want the hassle of doing it themselves.

If everyone shared the same mentality about bargain hunting, who'd choose to buy an expensive car if it doesn't get you there quicker or guarantee a parking space?

I'm not competing with Poundland. Quality and added value are key.

im with you AcidPerm, our salon does not do the cheap seats either : )

there has to be a marked difference between what we do vs the cheap seats
and box of dye

Latest posts

Back