Home salon tips and help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loulou2017

Reaction score
Hello sorry I keep writing on salon geek about home salon but I am in the process of setting it up and my husband has limited ideas on the subject as he is a plumber!!! Things I would like to know.
I currently run as a small salon but considering changing and doing it at home as the staff stress and high bills is not really worth it now I have had a baby.The home salon I would have set up like a mini salon with own door and separate loo so hopefully very professional.
* do you still have a card machine??or cash only I would love to get rid of the machine as just another out going but will this annoy clients and limit retail spend?
* do you have clients coming round to change appointment on your days off or have you trained them to call only?
* Do you use your home phone or just mobile for clients to contact you?
*Is it hard to relax in your home on days off?
*Currently I do very well for gift vouchers from husbands at xmas how do you go about this do you arrange a time for them to pop in?
*how much extra time do you allow per client as on your own to set up for next one etc.. I don't want to hurry them out the door but also need to make the most of working days.
* I have a few clients that sit for 30min after a manicure to let them dry which is ok as I have a reception area atm how do you go about this at home? Seems annoying to book all that time extra for no more money but at the same time don't want to rush
* I'm hoping my wage will improve as atm its very hard with all the large overheads a salon has.Do you find you can earn a living from a home salon?

Thank you so much for any advice Louise xxx

Hi Louise!
Don't worry, loads of us have home salons!

Personally I only accept cash or cheque but then I don't retail much.
Very occasionally someone will "pop" by, maybe 2/3 times a year and then only a neighbour who is also a client.

I make most appts by text on my personal mobile (some techs like a separate work one but it doesn't bother me) also an awful lot by Facebook

No it's fine although I do often end up placing ads, doing my bookwork or other work related bits but that's my own fault.

Yes husbands etc simply pop round, I usually give them a time during another appt, saves me waiting about plus reminds other clients I do gift vouchers, also lets the person buying the gift voucher see that I'm busy (but then that only works if you work in your front window like me lol)

15 mins sometimes 30 if it's someone tedious and I need to recover lol but mostly they're all lovely

I've recently made polish the same price as Shellac which kind of makes them all go for Shellac [emoji4] so instantly dry. Or they can sit on the sofa but then that's awkward esp if it's running into my loo break etc so I do offer to carry bags/coats out to the car, help them in, tuck skirts in and help put seat belts on, looks like great service (well it is!) and gets them on their way

I earn more part time in my home salon than I ever earned as a full time employee anywhere

Good luck with your venture!! Xxx

Thank you thats a great response really appreciate it ☺ xxx

Personally wouldn't get rid of your card machine. 90% of my clients pay by card (majority pay by credit card which is interesting as they may not have booked if it was cash only). I use SumUp, the outgoing is very minimal. When I bought the machine, I increased my prices by a small percentage to make up for it so I didn't lose out. I sell a lot of high value vouchers that are often paid for by card and retail quite a bit too.

There have been a few occasions when people turn up at the house on days off - wanting to discuss treatments or make an appointment (usually older ladies). I do find this extremely annoying and I'm considering putting a notice up at the front door. I was once hanging the washing out in my PJs and a little old lady wandered in to the garden wanting a price list!

I sell a lot of vouchers. For most people I post them (add £1 extra to the price) or we arrange a specific time for them to be collected.

I have 30 minutes in-between all my treatments. This gives them time to get dressed, pay, ask questions, book another appointment, retail etc etc. And then gives me enough time to set up for the next person.

Most of my clients leave as soon as nails are painted. I use Vinylux which dries in 7 minutes so that helps! ...Once they've paid and rearranged next appointment, they are pretty much dry anyway. Having the 30 minutes in-between treatments also helps if I have a client who doesn't want to leave in a hurry.

I earn more than I did working in a spa and don't work anywhere near as many hours. I find it far less stressful and I feel I offer a better service. I charge the same prices as local salons, I never undersell myself and I'm often fully booked a week in advance. I love working from home!

Hello sorry I keep writing on salon geek about home salon but I am in the process of setting it up and my husband has limited ideas on the subject as he is a plumber!!! Things I would like to know.
I currently run as a small salon but considering changing and doing it at home as the staff stress and high bills is not really worth it now I have had a baby.The home salon I would have set up like a mini salon with own door and separate loo so hopefully very professional.
* do you still have a card machine??or cash only I would love to get rid of the machine as just another out going but will this annoy clients and limit retail spend?
* do you have clients coming round to change appointment on your days off or have you trained them to call only?
* Do you use your home phone or just mobile for clients to contact you?
*Is it hard to relax in your home on days off?
*Currently I do very well for gift vouchers from husbands at xmas how do you go about this do you arrange a time for them to pop in?
*how much extra time do you allow per client as on your own to set up for next one etc.. I don't want to hurry them out the door but also need to make the most of working days.
* I have a few clients that sit for 30min after a manicure to let them dry which is ok as I have a reception area atm how do you go about this at home? Seems annoying to book all that time extra for no more money but at the same time don't want to rush
* I'm hoping my wage will improve as atm its very hard with all the large overheads a salon has.Do you find you can earn a living from a home salon?

Thank you so much for any advice Louise xxx
I have a home salon and many of my clients prefer to pay by card so no I personally think this is necessary.

I do gift vouchers and most pop in or I can email them the voucher to print out themselves.

I find it difficult to relax on my days off. I love working from home but this is my biggest issue. I feel like I never really switch off.
Clients also get dates and times wrong so can turn up on your day off. They also arrive very early for appointments at times and I'm not even dressed yet!

Ok not read replys sorry but card reader go for someone like paypal, no i dont have anyone just turn up to change appts i use home & mobile but have a call blocker on (to stop ppi calls) but i can choose who i want to answer and whos going to answer machine) no as work is in my cabin home is my home. And vouchers yes pop in or purchase over the phone and post out!

Thats all i can offer really xx

Hey Hun [emoji2] I have a home salon I've had it in my new houSe from 2014 so I'll answer ur questions in points lol!

*I do have a card machine in form of iZettle small machine that just links to an app on your phone it's much easier than a massive thing and you just pay fees if you use it (it's 2.75%) you can also take cash payments with the app so it acts as a till it's amazing.

*I rarely have clients turn up at my door to change appointments to ask stuff they always message me on Facebook or call or text , I have never really needed to mention this they just do it anyway.

**I have a old iPhone with a pay as you go SIM card as my number for clients to contact me it's so much better to be able to keep it seperate and be able to turn off your phone etc on days off or holidays.

*I used to find it hard to relax in my home but I don't anymore you just get used to it, and it's fab being near your own fridge at work [emoji23] and being able to stick on some washing between clients.

*Regarding gift vouchers people's hubbys etc do just pop in at an arranged time and this works well between clients.

*To be fair I do space out my clients quite a lot as I hate rushing and I don't have a waiting room so I would hate to run over and stress maybe like 30 mins extra at the end of each treatment.

*I don't do many normal polish but those who do I just let them sit until dry hence my extra time.

*I literally feel like I don't work that hard and i bring in a fair amount a month (around £1000 a month) I obviously could bring in more if I advertised more I have a medical condition that really makes me tired so I try not to over do it but I basically make a decent wage. My over heads are minimal, just really products and leaflets etc but I still charge salon prices [emoji2].
If I could give one tip it's don't drop your prices just because you are at home. If you have a professional set up , which it seems like you do then you are worth proper prices and I rarely get time wasters. I also use top brands to get best quality.

I hope this has helped [emoji2]

Vicky xxx

Thank you all so much for your responses it really has helped.do you still book out 30min extra even if its an eyebrow or lip wax?in the salon working i work back to back but then i have a reception who gets the roomready etc... so i will be saving a lot by not having her wage to pay it will just takr some getting used to.
Are there any other points or tips u think i should know as we are now in process if building it. It will have own door and own loo. I cant wait thank u all so much xxx

Thank you all so much for your responses it really has helped.do you still book out 30min extra even if its an eyebrow or lip wax?in the salon working i work back to back but then i have a reception who gets the roomready etc... so i will be saving a lot by not having her wage to pay it will just takr some getting used to.
Are there any other points or tips u think i should know as we are now in process if building it. It will have own door and own loo. I cant wait thank u all so much xxx

I have 30 minutes in-between all my treatments no matter what they are ...but that's bearing in mind that you are also acting as receptionist. If I have any spare time left over I use it to return calls and answer messages.
My wax pot and most of my equipment is tucked away out of sight so I have more to pack away and set up.
Once you start work, you'll know what works best for you. Maybe start with 30 minutes and if you feel it's too long you can then shorten the time.

I have a few ladies that have come to me after visiting another home salon, they described multiple people waiting, treatments starting late, feeling rushed in and out etc. and they obviously decided that wasn't for them. I find that clients choose me over a salon as they want to avoid hustle and bustle, so I think it's worth having the bit of extra time but that's just personal preference.

Don't forget that you must inform the council regarding planning permission if you work from home and change your premises structurally or to an extent that it cannot be easily changed back to original use. You need permission to do this from the council. If you just use a room that's easily changed back to original use i.e. say a bedroom, then that's fine. You don't need permission. But if you start knocking down walls and putting in toilets for use as a workplace then it complicates things.

Whether a change of use of a dwelling is taking place, and hence whether planning permission is required, is a matter of fact and degree of any proposal. However, if the following guidelines are adhered to, it is likely that planning permission would not be required:

1. the residential use, character and appearance of the property is maintained
  2. the type of activity is unlikely to be detrimental to the residential amenities of adjoining occupiers and the character of the area
  3. there are no staff employed
  4. not more than one room or garage is used for business purposes and this room or garage is available for domestic use outside normal business hours
  5. the storage of any materials associated with the activity are not visible from the street and are of such small quantity as not to affect the visual amenities of adjoining occupiers
  6. not more than one commercial vehicle will be parked within the curtilage of the site or on the surrounding highway

More information
Please see the Planning Portal for more information.

https://www.salford.gov.uk/planning-building-and-regeneration/planning-advice/businesses-from-home/

Latest posts

Back