home salon - what else should I DO??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannajadem

CND Education Ambassador
Reaction score
Ok, so I've recently decided I'm going to turn a bedroom in my home into a nail salon, as well as still working mobile, as many of my clients like the fact I can come to them, but at the same time, some would love to come to me too.
I've contacted my local council who have told me in writing that I do not need planning permission, so I'm confused about where to go next.
I know I need to contact my home insurance, incase someone falls down my stairs or whatever, but I recently read a thread about PAT testing, and am a bit concerned because I never knew this was law - (sorting this out tomorrow btw!), so now I'm wondering if I've left any more stones unturned? Can anyone give me a checklist of what else I should be doing?
Obviously the tax man has me listed as self employed, but does it make any difference tax wise if I'm working from home now too?
Thanks geeks.:hug:

If it's just a room, then I don't think you'd be liable for business rates, but since you've already informed the council, they'd most likely tell you if you were (as they'd want to milk you for a bit more money on top of your council tax).

Goodness me, PAT testing - another nice little earner for electricians - the last time I had anything PAT tested was when I was at uni and they had someone come around and test all the kit you had in your room in college - kettle, stereo system, etc. Surely you'd need PAT testing for any electrical kit that you take mobile as well though, wouldn't you?

Definitely check with your home insurance about being covered for having people in your house for treatments - and see if your treatment insurance (e.g. with the Guild) covers you for things like someone tripping up on your stairs.

Goodness, it's a right minefield, isn't it?

Thanks Ruth. I've only just twigged about the PAT testing when I saw another thread on here. Thankfully, I don't use any electrical equipment when I'm mobile anyway as I make sure they have good lighting in the room. However I do have a foot spa which isn't tested (didn't realise I needed it until yesterday) so it's a good job I haven't done a pedi yet!!! (except on me and my mum of course) I'm getting it sorted tomorrow as my stepfather is an electrician.
I just want to make sure there's deffo nothing else like this that is going to trip me up. The letter from the council stated that the room would be subject to inspection at any time so I just want to make sure I'm doing everything properly. Do I need fire extinguishers/first aid box etc?? Think I've covered everything else?
Thanks again-x

Aagh, now a foot spa is the sort of device that I would consider most essential for PAT testing - if there's a fault on it, you could get quite a nasty shock to your feet (or your client's feet)! Thankfully that's highly unlikely to happen though, as they are most probably double-insulated by design.

Definitely a good idea to get fire extinguishers and a first aid box though. And I think you may need to display a Health & Safety poster too (you do if you employ anyone, anyway, I think).

For the extinguishers, you'd probably want at least one carbon dioxide extinguisher (for electrical fires, etc), and one water extinguisher (for burning fabrics, etc).

Most companies offering public, product and treatment liabilty only cover you within the treatment room itself. For cover in the rest of your house you will need to contact your home insurance. However, be careful how you approach them. Some companies do not like you to run a business from home and will stop your cover if they realise you are. The best course of action is to tell them you are 'thinking' of doing it, then if they don't like it, you have time to shop around for a new policy.

Thank you for the reply- I have contacted my home insurance, and they will cover me-at an extra cost of course, but it's cheaper than what I was expecting so I'm happy.

Latest posts

Back