Home treatment room - I'm not allowed any signage outside

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodyandmind

Reaction score
I rent my home with a long term tenancy and have a treatment room annexed off the house with side access. My problem is that I'm not allowed any signage so when people come to the property I don't feel its clear or very professional. Does anyone else have this issue and how did you get around it?

This probably doesn't help but I have the same problem. As I am in a residential area I am not allowed any signs. I do have small ones on the door but they face away from the road. I do think, though, that some people like to be somewhere a little less obvious. Its about using other ways of getting your name out there, social media etc. Sorry I can't come up with anything to get around it, but good luck.

Who is it that says you cant have a sign - your landlord / tenancy agreement or your local council?
Does your landlord know you work from home?

Who is it that says you cant have a sign - your landlord / tenancy agreement or your local council?
Well for me it's the local council. I have permission to work from home from them but they told me I was not allowed any signs up outside.

Well for me it's the local council. I have permission to work from home from them but they told me I was not allowed any signs up outside.
If it's the council saying about the signage then look into in further as it might just be the size you're allowed.
I see the original poster is in the south west. I'm in the Sedgemoor district council area. On their website they tell you all the details on what you can have.
With them you are allowed to put up a sign (up to certain size) with just your salon name on it.
If you want to have a sign with extra writing on on it (e.g.saying your treatments) then this comes under 'advertising signage' which does then need proper planning permission.
Vistaprint make window decals for a cheap price, have a look at them?

Last edited:
Park your car outside if you have one with huge magnetic signs on x

Hi its the local council and they won't allow it under any circumstances

What about a temporary sign - like an A-frame chalkboard you just put out when you're open? Also you can get your business logo printed onto roller blinds, but having the magnetic signs on your car is a good shout xx

I work from home and my house insurance doesn't allow me to have any signs promoting my business outside. I live in a very rural area, down a lane with only a few other houses. I make sure to give directions clearly when they book and when it's dark I have an outside light projecting onto my house name, everyone's found me so far and no one has mentioned that I don't advertise outside x

Thank you all for your help, you have been really helpful!

if there's no way your allowed a sign, how about a distinctive flower or plants or something like that?!? X

you could be a bit creative.

The council are thinking 'illuminated shop sign' so that's why they are saying no.

You could put a sign saying 'entrance to XXXX' on the gate or and an a frame saying 'xxx is now open'.

Make it a pleasant entrance with plants and decorations.

If you are running a business you have the right to identify yourself to your customers. The council can refuse something that stops you looking like a house in a residential area.

Removable signs are OK as long as you put them out and bring them in daily. I have an ornate mirror frame with a vinyl sheet decal where the glass should be and I pop that in my window. You could try a sign over the garden gate. There is also nothing to stop you getting a post mounted bird house for your front garden and hanging a sign off it daily - just put your name on it with your website page.

It's permanent signage that's the issue, and you can't advertise without permission. I got muddled up about this as well when I first opened. My local council told me I couldn't put my name on my business, but I checked the regulations carefully and found a way to do it legally. The council had a crack down recently and one of my neighbours had to take her signage down - but I was ok because id checked the regulations.

My local council doesn’t allow signage however I named my business after the house. So we have the house name displayed at the front which simultaneously acts as a business sign :D

My local council doesn’t allow signage however I named my business after the house. So we have the house name displayed at the front which simultaneously acts as a business sign :D
Clever!!

Surely they couldn’t object to a sign hung INSIDE your window ????
(I like the birdbox & sign idea too)

Hi Bodyandmind I’m thinking of moving my business and converting my garage into a beauty room could you give me any advise on how to go about it please? X

Hi Bodyandmind I’m thinking of moving my business and converting my garage into a beauty room could you give me any advise on how to go about it please? X
You will need to speak to your council first before you do anything else. All local councils have different rules too .

Me too. I would love some advice that would convince my husband.

Hi, sorry I've taken so long to reply. As I'm massage only, I've had a relatively rough time of it and the shed turned massage room has been a nightmare if I'm frank in terms of clientele I'm attracting.

Latest posts

Back