Home vs salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loulou2017

Reaction score
Hello i am hoping for advice from people working from home. I currently run a very busy small salon, there is always ups and downs of running it. I have had a baby who is 6 months now and i love being a mummy and want to not feel stressed. I find running a salon very stressfull keeping staff happy covering holidays keeping it running while im not there etc..i have lost my passio for it as i feel i need to work full time to make ut work and keep up with large overheads. I have the opportunity to do a home salon with large treatment room own frount door and a loo next door i could make it very lovely. I love this idea as no more over heads and i dont have the hassle of any staff. Not to blow my own trumpet but i do have a lot of loyal ladies that have been with me over 13 years but im so scared to do it im worried clients wont follow as it is an extra 5 min away also some clients might like going to a salon,but my main worry is a will regret giving up something i have worked my butt off fir as no going back. We would like another baby in a couple of years so i just dont seehow i can do run a salon and have a gd home life. Would love to hear from people who work from home and what are the pros and cons. I dont want this to b a grass is greener thing!! Thank u

I love working from home. I have a very professional set up and many clients comment that they don't feel like they're at a home salon (which I think is key!). I'm happy to say that my home studio is nicer than some salons I've been to! I made sure that I didn't cut any corners - I use top quality products and have all the little extras that allow me to charge pretty much the same as local salons.

Off the top of my head:

Positives:
- In control of every aspect of the business
- No staff to worry about
- Flexibility
- No commute
- Cheaper to run
- Therapist continuity (my clients love that all treatments are by me and only me)
- In-between appointments I can do house work, put the washing on, get dinner started!

Negatives:
- No passing trade therefor potentially more advertising required
- Clients feel that they can contact you 24/7 ...which includes them just turning up at your house unannounced!
- When I'm ill or out doing training I have to completely close down. I recently had to shut for 3 weeks due to surgery.
- You're just one person, so once you're booked, you're booked, and it can be difficult turning people AND MONEY away.
- I live in a quiet village but there is still sometimes outside noise that is out of my control and obviously isn't great if you're doing relaxing treatments and there are kids playing or a dog barking!
- I spend a lot of time returning messages & calls, as I have my phone off whilst in treatments. I would highly recommend an online booking system, as you don't want to miss potential clients.

I love working from home. I have a very professional set up and many clients comment that they don't feel like they're at a home salon (which I think is key!). I'm happy to say that my home studio is nicer than some salons I've been to! I made sure that I didn't cut any corners - I use top quality products and have all the little extras that allow me to charge pretty much the same as local salons.

Off the top of my head:

Positives:
- In control of every aspect of the business
- No staff to worry about
- Flexibility
- No commute
- Cheaper to run
- Therapist continuity (my clients love that all treatments are by me and only me)
- In-between appointments I can do house work, put the washing on, get dinner started!

Negatives:
- No passing trade therefor potentially more advertising required
- Clients feel that they can contact you 24/7 ...which includes them just turning up at your house unannounced!
- When I'm ill or out doing training I have to completely close down. I recently had to shut for 3 weeks due to surgery.
- You're just one person, so once you're booked, you're booked, and it can be difficult turning people AND MONEY away.
- I live in a quiet village but there is still sometimes outside noise that is out of my control and obviously isn't great if you're doing relaxing treatments and there are kids playing or a dog barking!
- I spend a lot of time returning messages & calls, as I have my phone off whilst in treatments. I would highly recommend an online booking system, as you don't want to miss potential clients.
Thank you for such a great reply it really helps,that is one of my worries i wouldnt mind clients calling anytime but wouldn like them just turning up unannounced does this happen much or have you tried to train your clients not to?Hope you dont mind me asking but do you find the money is a bit betteras overheadsare smaller?also do you find clients still want to pay on card as i was hoping to cut that out as cost so much!! Thank u so much xxx

I love the flexibility of my home salon!
It has worked perfectly around my kids husband dog house work!
I know someone who went from a salon with staff to just her and she wonders why she didn't do it years ago!!
Your clients will follow you, mine have from going Mobile to home.
Good luck I seriously don't think you'll regret it! [emoji4]

I adore working from home. I can suit myself and cuddle my dog inbetween clients.

I was in the exact same position as you. I went from small busy salon with staff to working from home (log cabin) due to family commitments. It was the best thing I ever did. I went on to have another baby, my stress levels dropped and I was able to work less yet earn more money. I also felt I had a better balance.

The salon has it's uses as I was well established and clients moved with me. I didn't need them all as I worked less , just my nicest most loyal ones I asked to follow me. I have never looked back. X

I was in the exact same position as you. I went from small busy salon with staff to working from home (log cabin) due to family commitments. It was the best thing I ever did. I went on to have another baby, my stress levels dropped and I was able to work less yet earn more money. I also felt I had a better balance.

The salon has it's uses as I was well established and clients moved with me. I didn't need them all as I worked less , just my nicest most loyal ones I asked to follow me. I have never looked back. X
When my lease is up, I'm going back home too! Made more money and it was no stress [emoji119]

Thank you so much for you responses i have made up my mind to do aa you all say its a lot better. I would also just like to ask my loyal ladies to follow not the ines that mess me around etc.. as only want to fill 3 days... how did u go about just asking certain clients i font want to upset people. I was also thinking to send out a £15 gift voucher to use first timeto the ones i really want to follow me how did u get ur ladies to follow? Xx

Just wondering if you sold you small salon on .. i would like to do this as we are so busy seems a waste and i am only wanting to take a few clients with me. Any advice would be appreciated xx

The key is to automate your business. With today's technology, it makes generating leads, booking appointments, sending reminders, nurturing clients, and just managing your entire salon so much easier. What is the main stressor in your business right now?

Omg this could be me writing this I'm in exactly the same boat. Ran my own successful small business for years and I feel exactly the same now since I have had my 2 year old. I'm pregnant again aswell and just keep thinking wouldn't be less stress working from home. I keep thinking am I crazy to give up something I have worked so hard for

I just left a salon and opened a home salon, it's been the best move I ever made!
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1504475373.237234.jpg

Wow that looks stunning!!well done! I think i an going to do it just a big step to make but running a salon takes over ur life!!!

Latest posts

Back