How can I become a better, more confident nail technician?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for responding back!
Can you please describe me, what is product breakdown? Because when I'm using this powder and the liquid on the nails come out good it's the cuticle work that needs to be helped. My biggest pet peeve is lifting near the cuticle area.

Also I have a learning disability. It takes me a while to learn everything. :-(

Practice, practice, practice makes perfect. Keep on doing nails, you will only get better! It took me a long while to produce great looking nails. I really learned by doing my own. If you can't do your dominate hand than just do your non dominate hand only. You are your worst critic!

Everyone is right, you cannot mix products. It will lead to service breakdown. If you have excessive lifting at the cuticle than you really need to work on your prep. There is probably unseen cuticle on the nail plate. Look up Fingernailfixer on YouTube or Facebook. She has a good video about cuticle removal. In fact, all her videos are good. You can also register on www.cnd.com as a professional to access their videos. I personally think you should use a smaller brush around the cuticle area. I normally use a #8 brush for l&p, but when I first started out, I used a smaller brush around the cuticle. It kept me from flooding the cuticle with liquid and getting it on the cuticle. Try working on your liquid to powder ratio. Your sidewalls do need to be more parallel instead of flared, unless you are going for the flared look. Again, check out more education, that will help too.

Sent from my Xoom using SalonGeek

Hiya :biggrin:
So have you had no nail training at all? You definately need training.
There is a ton of things you need to learn. It's not just about aplying the product, you need to know the science behind the nail, products you are using too.:biggrin:

I also have my cosmetology license, but when I went through my training in 1994-1995 nails were put on the back burner. They taught us about l&p and fiberglass but it was very minimal. I think maybe we had a week of enhancements. I learned by practicing on myself, extra classes and trial and error.
My sister just went through her nail training and learned the most from me! Her training very briefly went over enhancements or prepping for them. She paid quite a bit for her education and felt it wasn't enough to go out and work in a salon. I understand where Princesskitty feels she didn't get enough education. My sister was lucky enough to have me as a mentor in the industry. Now she can do a great set of enhancements!

I also have my cosmetology license, but when I went through my training in 1994-1995 nails were put on the back burner. They taught us about l&p and fiberglass but it was very minimal. I think maybe we had a week of enhancements. I learned by practicing on myself, extra classes and trial and error.
My sister just went through her nail training and learned the most from me! Her training very briefly went over enhancements or prepping for them. She paid quite a bit for her education and felt it wasn't enough to go out and work in a salon. I understand where Princesskitty feels she didn't get enough education. My sister was lucky enough to have me as a mentor in the industry. Now she can do a great set of enhancements!

THANK YOU!!! The school where i went they teach us that. Only the basics! I didn't know about "lifting" when i was at school.

Here is a client who did her nails on March 30.
ACDE24AD-E02D-43C5-87C9-7AB57A7A2E35-14449-000007A3B8ACC9FF.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back