How did you get started?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katyc01

Reaction score
Morning all,

I'm after some advice / inspiration on getting started in the beauty business. I'm currently level 3 qualified in beauty, spray tanning and am now starting my level 3 nail technician too on a Thursday evening.

I'm really wanting to get started mobile work or working self employed from a salon. BUT I currently work full time 9-5 and my commute is quite long leaving at 7.30am and not getting home until 6.30pm and I can't afford to leave my job or go part time at the moment.

Has anyone else been in this situation? How did you combat it? Did you just work on an evening? - my thinking with this is I would only be able to do one client an evening really. I just can't see a way to build up my business to a point I could work part time and eventually run my business full time.

Any help / advice / tips or stories as to how you finally got out of the rat race are more than welcome!

Thank you in advance!

I left a corporate career behind; I took drastic measures and quit my job to work in the industry as soon as I was qualified. I left my office job on the Friday and started my new job in a spa on the Monday. I had to save a bit of money before I resigned as spa work pays peanuts but it was the best decision I ever made. Now I'm self employed and love it.

You could definitely do two jobs at once (not sure how this works with tax?).
My evening are always booked up weeks in advance. Many salons near me close at 6pm and this isn't suitable for a lot of people, so if you were to offer evening and weekends appointments I'm sure they would be snapped up.

I left a corporate career behind; I took drastic measures and quit my job to work in the industry as soon as I was qualified. I left my office job on the Friday and started my new job in a spa on the Monday. I had to save a bit of money before I resigned as spa work pays peanuts but it was the best decision I ever made. Now I'm self employed and love it.

You could definitely do two jobs at once (not sure how this works with tax?).
My evening are always booked up weeks in advance. Many salons near me close at 6pm and this isn't suitable for a lot of people, so if you were to offer evening and weekends appointments I'm sure they would be snapped up.

Thankyou so much for the reply! I'm desperate to get out of office work now. Spa might be a good idea for me actually, I love doing massage and things, although I did qualify a few years ago I think a refresher would be all I needed.

I might get all my kit sorted and start advertising for evenings and weekends and see how that goes! Hopefully there would be a lot of interest xx

I worked for years in an office, then left to become a professional bellydancer. I did that 16 years then became a Reflexologist and Reiki Practitioner. I've not looked back.

Latest posts

Back