How do I respond to this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studdedskull

Reaction score
I've had a mind freeze moment. A client has asked if instead of a full Gelish mani I do a simple manicure with regular polish but topcoated with Gelish top it off and cured. She thinks there would be no difference between this and using Gelish colours. She trying to cut costs and To be honest, I'm rather annoyed. How can I put it that this is not a good idea, my minds gone blank as I have never been asked this before.
Thanks in advance.

I know that with jessica geleration system you can do this but would need to make sure the regular polish was 100 % dry before applying top coat. So its really not worth your time to wait for hours on the polish drying is it ? Just explain that to her x

Yep, if the polish isnt 100% dry, you'll get cracks and wrinkles

I usually say that the polish has to dry fully before you can apply, also if you miss a tiny bit when you wipe the sticky layer off it will take the colour with it. If i cant be bothered to get into a big discussion depending on the client is I just say its not compatible and it wont work! sometimes its just easier! x

You can't use gelish topcoat on regular polish as Lks said it cracks. Just explain this to your client and say you can have a regular manicure or gelish manicure, simple. X

I've done this with gelish top it off before and normal nail varnish and it all crinkled really badly underneath and I ended up taking it off instantly, luckily I was just having a go on myself to see how it worked but I wouldn't recommend it x

You just say it'snot something you offer. It wouldn't give a professional finish. Don't even bother giving reasons.

Vic x

And the topcoat can't adhere to the colour coat of regular polish like it can to the gelish colour coat, as they are all sticky they bond to one another...I think that would be right?! [emoji1]
These type of client suggestions annoy me and are quite rude!

The gel polish inhibition layer serves no purpose.

People are really struggling financially. Nails are a luxury. It isn't rude to enquire if there is a way to save money but still have long lasting attractive nails. All one has to do in response is say "I'm sorry it wouldn't be as long lasting & I don't provide that service" as others have said.

Feeling negative about it is a waste of your energy & an excessive response. You need to find your inner Zen if working in a service industry :)

Trying to cut cost's...!!!!
I can see why you got your 'mind freeze'.:eek:
OUTRAGEOUS :mad:
Your service is what it is, as is the cost.
No 'haggle', no 'mix it up'...no "can I save a fiver".... NO NO NO......:p

The gel polish inhibition layer serves no purpose.

People are really struggling financially. Nails are a luxury. It isn't rude to enquire if there is a way to save money but still have long lasting attractive nails. All one has to do in response is say "I'm sorry it wouldn't be as long lasting & I don't provide that service" as others have said.

Feeling negative about it is a waste of your energy & an excessive response. You need to find your inner Zen if working in a service industry :)

I've no idea where my inner Zen has got to.......:(
Nails are a luxury, so if money is tight, I would paint them myself.

If i really like a nail polish colour that i cant find in a gel, then i use it and apply a gel top coat and it DOES last like shellac or whatever gel polish system you use. The polish doesnt have to be 100% dry, only touch try. I offer this service to my clients for the same price as gel polish but don't give them the 2 week guarantee. They have the choice to take it or leave it. It does work though provided you know what you're doing

I tried it with gelish when I first started out and it doesn't work. The top it off will crack.

If you do this for her then you will sell yourself short.
Basically she works out you can have ordinary polish with gel top coat and it lasts 2-3 weeks. She tells her friends.

Then before you know it no one will want gel polish anymore and your working for peanuts x

Thanks for all your replies. I feel annoyed when people haggle with me because ,as im self employed, once I've given the salon owner her %, taken in account products, travel etc what is left over is for me and the haggling literally means less left for me. I wish some clients would realise this.
Thanks again everyone. Have a great weekend x

Tell her to xxxx off. People like that annoy me too. The price is the price and they should respect that. You don't wander into M&S and ask if they can knock some money off something!

If money is tight then the last thing you should be doing is getting your nails done!! Sorry but that's my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, if you can't afford to have your nails done then you shouldn't be getting them done, full stop! X

Latest posts

Back