How long did it take you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonnib

Reaction score
hi all..
on average i get about 3 people come in about prices..
and 1-2 clients a day this week.
but only been men and children so far.

i had my first no show person on saturday which really upset me as was a female and never even called and actually only works in the launderette 2 shops down from my salon :mad:.. we had a walk in the same time she was due and had to ask her to book but she said she would call but most never do..
so i was really annoyed she didnt turn up and turned someone away because of her booking.

now i know this happens sooooo much but just wasnt expecting it so soon tbh.

i really want to say something to her as i see her very often but not sure if i should? :irked:.
i did call but her number was saying incorrect. :mad:..
i know my old salon used to call people to say they missed their appointment.

but we do have a policy where if they do that then the next time they pay a £5-£10 deposit. which i think is fair.

i would really like to know how long it took to be known in your local area and to when you had a regular amount of people coming in?

It depends what level you are trying to acheive, and how much initial outlay you have to cover. My salons are big, seriously expensive, and pretty full on, so I can't really advise you as I don't know your break even figure.
It really does sound like you need a "star stylist" someone who is well established with their own clientelle. If you have clients coming in then you have a fighting chance of selling beauty/nails/tans.
Doing a "standing start" as its known (as you have done) is the cheapest route into salon ownership but you really have to keep on pushing with the marketing. Work on about 2% return.
there are lots of ideas on here, and my advice would be to implement all of them, quickly, and really blitz the area.
best of luck x

yes im thinking of advertising for a stylist wth clients..i will do it tonight i think...

but never got much of a response before just got loads of people with experience but no client base.

i mainly advertise on gumtree not sure of anywhere else..

but yes would be very happy to find a 'star stylist' :)

salon is small not that much monthly cost which is only good thing but i am employing people which is my biggest outlay

book in for a blow dry in rival salons. then ask who the top stylist is. Be very discreet.x

:eek: that made me laugh..

i may have to do that..
i have a stylist already from my rival salon but she hasnt worked there for a while. it has a bad rep by as manager is horrid from what ive been told by a few locals but yet is still busy:irked:
i have a girl coming for an interview actually from my rival salon but not sure if she has clients as yet.. she is coming tuesday..

my other rival salon is about £100 a cut.. so wont be booking for a blow dry there :eek:...

Make sure any stylist you take on has a clientelle AND is gonna bring them. If they promise the Earth and don't deliver then turf them out after about 3 months. Always keep looking for star staff.

it seems to be a challenge to find a sytlist that has clients:cry::cry::cry:

Hiya

Not beining funny babe but why in the world would a "star sylist" with a large client base want to work for someone else & share their profits with you the salon owner?? why not concentrate on making YOU a "star sylist/therapist" & build your own super reputation? It always annoys me when a new salon wants to employ staff with exsisting client base & then expect to pay the staff a small amount of what they earn. This is why most people who have a busy client base will work for themselv's. You have not been open long & it will take time to build up a reputation & I wish you the best of luck xx

If chaseyboi was right, there would be loads of little one man band salons, no Toni and Guy, Regis etc etc. There are plenty of great stylists out there that value a regular salary, no responsibility and 28 days paid holiday. On this site are lots of mobiles. Funny enough when I advertise for employed stylists my phone dont stop. Advertise a chair to rent or room to rent and it goes deathly quiet!
As for the "make yourself the star stylist or therapist" comment, it shows that the person really has no idea what a "star stylist" is,or how you become one!!!
(It takes about 10 years of single minded slog last time I looked)
These stylists leave salons and move on for a variety of reasons. Most want to work in a lovely salon, well equiped and well stocked.
Lets face it, I do 50 clients a week and would be considered a star stylist. I couldn't possibly do all them people sclepping around by car. I did work in some gorgeous salons for about 15 years before circumstances dictated that I bought my first salon.
So they are out there.

If chaseyboi was right, there would be loads of little one man band salons, no Toni and Guy, Regis etc etc. There are plenty of great stylists out there that value a regular salary, no responsibility and 28 days paid holiday. On this site are lots of mobiles. Funny enough when I advertise for employed stylists my phone dont stop. Advertise a chair to rent or room to rent and it goes deathly quiet!
As for the "make yourself the star stylist or therapist" comment, it shows that the person really has no idea what a "star stylist" is,or how you become one!!!
(It takes about 10 years of single minded slog last time I looked)
These stylists leave salons and move on for a variety of reasons. Most want to work in a lovely salon, well equiped and well stocked.
Lets face it, I do 50 clients a week and would be considered a star stylist. I couldn't possibly do all them people sclepping around by car. I did work in some gorgeous salons for about 15 years before circumstances dictated that I bought my first salon.
So they are out there.

I belive this is a site people in the beauty industrie to ask for advice & other people's opinion which I have given, If you wish to attack me directly please feel free to PM me. I only gave my personal opinion. IF I had a large client base I would not consider moving to a NEW salon for a wage as I would clearly make more money being self employed. I made no mention on mobile people. It is clear that the peson posted this stated she is finding it difficult finding someone who has an exsisting client base to employ & I belive that that is the reason why

HTH

when i advertised for a chair renter i had maybe 6/7 replys from people wanting to be employed as more security and they had clients.. at the time i didnt want to employ as was just starting up.
i didnt take their details as i was looking to rent the chair but most that contacted me were already renting or doing it from home..

well now i can see that i may be better off with what they were offering so have put an advert out 3 days ago no replys as yet..

Latest posts

Back