How long to make it in this business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the replies. I have told my spa owner that I am done in 2 weeks, there I went and did it. She was not impressed at all, there is no other nail tech there to do my job. They will be stuck until they can hire someone so hopefully she'll find someone soon. I will miss it there, I loved working there the money was excellent. Do I feel good about it, well no not necessarily but I think it's a good move. I am advertising in my local paper and this weekend will work on a flyer and then go around and put them on cars in schools and public parking places and just hope for the best.

I have told my spa owner that I am done in 2 weeks, there I went and did it. She was not impressed at all, there is no other nail tech there to do my job.

wow, you work fast!

Consider doing an introductory offer to gain new clients, take leaflets to all local clubs and places were women that need pampering gather like playschools swimming pools ect.

Best of luck with your plans, let us know how you get on.

Hi there,

Just wanted to quickly message from the point of view of a Salon owner, as most responses have been from mobile and part time evening techs.

I was mobile for six months and it was rubbish, making hardly any money spending all evenings working, people keeping you for longer than you are being paid etc. etc.

I decided enough was enough and due to the lack of employment within the industry locally, l decided to set up my own business.

I am lucky to have been able to do this, but to be honest I have never had to advertise since, which is a massive saving in its own right. Two and a half years later and I have just employed my first member of staff as I can no longer cope on my own. Too many clients and not enough hands! I have over 1000 clients built up on my own and my main advice is to not only ensure your continued education, but also to educate those clients so they brag about both you and your work. Word of mouth is key and the risk of taking on a salon has paid off, it hasnt been easy the hours are quite tough but if you love what you do you wont mind. I made a great profit in my first year which I took as a wage and it has just increased each year with the new clientelle coming in. I have had to employ as i am at a stage where I am turning away more clients than I am actually servicing. But it took a long time to find the right person for the job.

All the very best with your decission, but if your up for a bit of risk I recomend the salon route, and if you havent the spare cash to invest, look for an outside invester, perhaps a rich client you have already.

Good Luck

hi
wondered if you thought of putting an A board/sandwich board on your drive way!!!!
you'll get the attention and people knowing you are there!!!:)

I live on a dead-end street....
In a very old and quiet part of town where it's mostly old folk that have lived here for nearly forever.... :lol:

If I was on a busier street.. would likely work.

However, am putting an advert in the paper next mth.... just working o the 'wording' now.. hoping I get it right. Usually I do flyers/leaflets.. 1000 at a time (town is 15000 doors apparently) for 45$
This time, it'll be a 45$ advert, business card size in the paper that covers 3 towns... hopefully will not be missed amongst the other ads...

Keep us posted AJ!!!

:confused: :confused: while making money is great you also have to lookout for your emotional health and stress levels. im kind of in the same boat as you.how do you get the clientele to come flooding in? you know your good.you know it;s possible to make money doing nails.just gotta show people, if they can get passed the acrylic smell. Dont want strangers in your house. i think im gonna get a job in another nail related field like ace or sally-then do nails part time-but there's that government issue again.

I think I will leave the spa and invest in a cell phone so I can go out and have a life and not miss any calls. Do you think it's tacky to white out my old phone # and put the new one in? I have about 1000 cards....ugghhhh!
What about getting personalized stickers made to match the colouring of your business cards.

Great idea!!!!!!!

Tx,

aj

Hi

I've been doing Mobile nails for around 4 months now. Started with family and friends and they spread the word etc. I am now starting to advertise in the hope to do this full time. I am currently in the process of printing off 1000 leaflets that I intend (this weekend) to deliver door to door in my local area. I'm also putting an ad in the local paper and I plan to print off around another 6000 leaflets to deliver door to door in other areas that are nearby. its costing me around £25 per 1500 leaflets. I'll let you know the outcome and see if it pays off.

Thanks
Heather

xx

Latest posts

Back