How many of you have a day job that isn't beauty?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
I've been looking for work in beauty since July and it's really hard to come by. I'm very sure that I'm doing all the right things so that's that...I'm trying my best to make it happen but even then a lot of the jobs out there are part time.

What i want to know is, how many people in the beauty industry also have a "day job" doing something that has little/nothing to do with beauty but brings in the sort of money that is a lot harder to bring in with beauty?

I always said when I started training that my goal was to earn my main income working in beauty but I'm thinking that I might have to reassess that goal because I would perhaps get more money/hours doing something else.

I do want to keep my hand in with beauty even if it's a bit of mobiling here and there at the very least. Right now though I'll be honest and say that financially it might be a case of "I gotta do what I gotta do".

Can anyone else relate to this?

ETA: I just want to say that I would love to have a beauty career that lasts decades long as I progress with something I love and I do value job satisfaction above being rich but all the same, currently I'm skint

I work in a food store!

Any job that allows you as much flexibility as possible and has overtime going is good to have so supermarket and bar jobs are top.

Not the best of jobs but they will usually have extra hours you can do when available and as your beauty side grows they will hopefully let you cut down your hours x

I work in HR and recruitment and have for a very long time. The kind of salary i earn would be soo hard to match in beauty but here I am, working my butt off during every hour im not in the office hoping that one day ill have a very credible business to leave and take up "full time".

I am a firm believer in you get what you work hard for and I hope if i work so hard now itll pay off :)

Its hard but if we want it enough itll pay off! I also have a fella to see to in amongst the two careers, he feels neglected im sure !!!!

I do as well. I have a part-time job in childcare. I could not survive on a salary of a full-time therapist! I earn almost 2x as much in childcare what I earn in a salon and I like it this way! I do 2 completely different things and I like it. However, if I wasn't being paid so little in the salon, I would love to be a full-time therapist. But as we all need money , I have to be reasonable and think of the money as well.

I work in a cafe! Get overtime of needed. I also do work at a local pub as and when needed...i get lots of extra money in the holidays :)

I agree its all in the flexibility and that they are not the best of jobs. But needs must :)

I am trying to get a new job in science after being made redundant at the begginning of the year. But will make sure its part time so i can have the best of both worlds. Like you would love to do full time but it isn't fitting in my situation xx

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

My day job is administrative assistant (PC term for secretary...LOL) in a school. It's great because I have summers off. For me, it's win-win! :)

I do an admin job during the day and mobile in the evenings. I only work for a small company so I hope to be able to cut back my hours gradually when my customer base grows then as and when I ever have children take the plunge of leaving my job and just doing beauty as I think it will be nice and flexible for me around kids.
I would not choose to work in a salon (my opinion right now...could change I guess) as I like that I don't have many overheads (just petrol) and I'm am paid more working for myself than I would be if I was working for someone else.

Kxx

I'm in IT... have been ever since I graduated back in 1996. But then the only sort of "beauty" work that I do (apart from IT-related stuff) is the occasional bit of body painting.

I work 2 nights a week as a care assistant which gives me my days to do hairdressing x

I do part time promotional work but would like to give it up next year and just do beauty but we will have to wait and see xxx

I worked in Civil Engineering running a factory full of smelly boys for 10yrs up until April this year, after 3yrs of doing both & sacrificing ALOT of my family time, blood, sweat & tears, I finally bit the bullet and went full time working from home.

It took me so long to make up my mind, I felt so uneasy about losing my full time wage, but it turned out to be the best decision I've ever made, my only regret is that I didn't jump sooner! :)

So, if any of you wake up in the morning dreading going to your full time job, keep plugging away, you CAN make it happen, keep the faith! :) x

I work as a book keeper for a student letting agency, it is a horrible place but pays the bills! I do two days a week basic but there is normally overtime. It will fit in perfectly with tanning and any other beauty I do because their busy times are end of Sept - Oct/ Jan/ Feb when I can work as many hours as I want during the quieter spray tanning/ beuty periods.

I work in a solicitors office, although my last day is Friday as I've finally built up a great clientele to now be able to take the plunge an quit my day job and do mobile beauty! :D Although I have got a job in a salon 3 and a half days a week too which I start next week, :) xx

I worked in Civil Engineering running a factory full of smelly boys for 10yrs up until April this year, after 3yrs of doing both & sacrificing ALOT of my family time, blood, sweat & tears, I finally bit the bullet and went full time working from home.

It took me so long to make up my mind, I felt so uneasy about losing my full time wage, but it turned out to be the best decision I've ever made, my only regret is that I didn't jump sooner! :)

So, if any of you wake up in the morning dreading going to your full time job, keep plugging away, you CAN make it happen, keep the faith! :) x

I feel truly inspired! I need to take a leaf from your book and do same....>nervous!<

I work full time as a PA for a huge organisation. I leave house about 8am and get back home about 6pm every day

I really struggle and pay for my beauty passion with my health. Always poorly, tired etc etc.

Not sure how much longer I'll be able to take it. But must pay my bills!!

I work full time as a PA for a huge organisation. I leave house about 8am and get back home about 6pm every day

I really struggle and pay for my beauty passion with my health. Always poorly, tired etc etc.

Not sure how much longer I'll be able to take it. But must pay my bills!!

Same!!!

Im out at 7am for day job, home 630/7pm - beauty from 7pm-10pm (sometimes 11-12!!!) 5 days a week and beauty on a saturday morning....

I am always run down, tired, grumpy....!

I must pay bills and scared to leave the day job and not be able to pay my mortgage!

I hope to build up enough clientele so one day i can go it on its own....and have lots of kiddies and live happily while earning a nice little wage too!

Take my hat off to you all as at times i get so fed up but nice knowing im not only one!

Em xx

I'm a senior counter fraud and forensic investigator in the city. I actually love my day job as much as I love beauty but it's a killer doing both. This morning I started my hour and a half long commute at 5:15am and will be home about 7pm tonight. As hard as it is doing a 50+ hour week with a ridiculous commute ( which costs me £3k a year for the privilege!) plus as much mobile work as I can cram in, know I'm v lucky. My partner is out of work at the min so my salary supports us both, and has allowed me to invest as much as I want in my business xx

I'm a moderator and community manager (social media etc) in my 'other life'. Sometimes I work 25 hours a week up to 50+ hours a week. I fit my clients around my rota and vice versa with clients who book in advance :D

I'm going to write this down somewhere! I cannot describe how much i hate my 'day job'! But i am slowly building up my clientele....maybe another year and i'll be there.

I have a job in a salon during the day but i also work as a kitchen assistant at the weekends and wednesday evenings and then i work for a fruit and veg company on tuesday and thursday nights! Keeps me out of trouble! :)

Latest posts

Back