how much to charge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrie123

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Finally had my tanning training on Monday with Sienna X. Now, how much would you recommend charging? I will be going mobile. I know it depends on area, and I was going to go with £15, but the trainer said to go for between £20-£30. So I was thinking maybe charging £18! Do you think this sounds too low?

Also, for tanning parties do you think its better to say they can all have the tan for £15 if there is 5 people or more, or should I let the hostess get hers free, or should I let the hostess gets hers free and everyone else gets theres for £15?

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks xx

I think between 15-20 depend on area is fine dont sell yourself short. i mean how hard is spray tanning. i know you dont want to make them look like umpa lumpas!!! as long as you do what you have been taught you will be fine.. make sure your not to close so tan doesnt drip and if you feel you have gone too light just do a quick mist over them remember dont over do hands and feet i usually stand further away for hands and hardly do feet just a quick mist as if you start from top to bottom alot of tan covers feet.

Good Luck and those tanning parties sound great. XXXX

hi I charge £20 per person for full body. £15.00 half body and tan together for £30.00 at the salon. for parties I still charge £20 per tan but if there are 5 paying guests then the host is free if the number drops below 5 then the host has to pay. (minimum 4 to max 7 at parties) I have just advertised a
special offers for May £10.00 every thu or fri 10am to 6pm. I text this to my clients so they know and they tell their friends also put it in local shops. (this is salon only offer). you could have special offers on the days you are slow to bring in more work.

Hi Carrie

£15.00 needs to be your rock bottom price - this should be your party price really. Any less and you will not make anything, taking into account time, petrol, solution etc.

Charge around £25.00 for a single tan, then you can do 2 for £40.00 offers at the same address etc.

Good luck with your new venture!

Work out first the amount in total of the liquid used per client, plus your disposables such as Knickers, Shower Caps, Disposable Flip Flops or Mats for client to stand on etc. Also the cost of your advertising, printing, POS, Cleaning Materials for your tan cubicle/machine etc and your travelling costs.

Once you know the actual cost if all this then work on your price point. I started spray tanning 7 years ago when it was still quite new and I was charging £15 then for it but the solution then was a lot more than it is today and we rarely made profit on it. But I felt that a treatment that takes 5-10 mins shouldnt be charged at £30.

You have to work out how much profit you want to make for each visit, then add it to all your other costs.

If your doing a tanning party I personally would give the hostess a free tan if she gets 4 or more friends booked on the night and one of her friends books another party. However you could always give her the choice of this or a discount for her and all her friends.

On the night ask the girls there if they want to book a party themselves as they get a free tan if they do the same.

It will certainly keep you booked up!

I agree with the others but I would think £15 is underselling your service and time. Dont forget you have the cost of petrol, liquid and the equipment and you are doing this to earn a living not just for fun....and you dont want to end up not having enough money in the pot to afford the next litre of liquid....

The average is normally between £20-30 when you offer this in a salon but if you go mobile you have to consider the time and petrol it takes you to get there and back which could be quite considerable. so if you are looking at it from this angle it should really be more expensive because your client gets the extra convenience to stay at home....

Try and fix your prices higher - say £25 and offer an introductory special for £20? Another way would be to say its £25 but if you book your top up while you are there its only £15, this way you can turn your customers into regular clients and get busy with repeat business....

I was going to start a thread on this myself tonight! (How strange!)
Thankyou ladies, you've all been very helpful tonight, I think I'm going to charge £20 a tan when I get my machine in a few weeks time...and I'm really excited!! I can't wait!!!!!!

Hi Carrie

Interesting replies on this thread :) I am also looking into the possibility of training in spray tans, there are a couple of courses near me, one in Capital at Hove and another at Sienna X in Crawley... I know the Capital one I have to buy in all the kit first, do you have to buy the kit at Sienna too? It's just that I would like a bit more choice on equipment and solutions judging by the posts on here...

If you could let me know it would be a great help :)

Many thanks
J Xx

I would say £15 is too cheap. Once you've added the cost of solution, fuel, insurance, sundries and pay-back on your machine and training....you're working for free...if not paying them to look nice and brown.

charge £25 for a single tan mobile, £20 each if there is more than one person (and if theres more than 5 at a party the hostess is free) and £20 if clients come to me in the studio.

If someone books another party at a party I offer a free gift, of a pre or aftercare product (costs me c.£10) but they don't get it until the night of their own party, and there needs to be a minimum of 3 tans to qualify for it!

I also presell a book of tans @ 6 for £100 (studio only) and all to be used within 3 months.

Latest posts

Back