How often do you re-do your own nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol, ill go for it too! I rebalanced mine 2 days ago. lets see how long i can hang on.....

WOOT! Post some photos! You can do rebalanced! And pholish change :green:

I would say once every 7 -10 days. Atm, i'm still learning and basically I over-blended and my one nail is soooo sore :o, so that one hasn't had anything on it execept for cuticle oil for the last 9 days, lol

ohh dear I broke one!!!

Just fix it and keep going! Just do not take them asll off and redo them.

fixed and still going!

I infill mine about very two weeks but replace any damaged ones as and when required. I always wear a gel enhancement (Young Nails Synergy gel) and have to wear tips too. I used to always have pink n whites and because I'm not very good at rebalancing on my dominant hand I used white tips. However I have recently been opting for a natural tip blended to look like my own natural nail and they look great. I much prefer them. I've got appalling nails under my gel - always have had as I have bitten them since I had teeth and nothing prevents me from reverting to type if I don't overlay them. I'm one of those people who came from the other side of the manicure table but I have to say I always watched my own nail tech carefully and knew it wouldn't be a breeze. I've had to wear gel for years now and I used to have them done every three weeks before I trained. I figure having to redo mine every two weeks now is partly to do with my own expertise working on myself and partly because I work constantly with my hands doing nails and beauty and I'm quite hard on them. Wish I could extend it to 3 weeks! Am having a trial with another nail tech I know this week though and she is giving me an OPI Axxium overlay but she'll need to do this over my own gel to maintain the strength I think. I am hoping its going to work and am looking forward to havinga bit of colour just for a wee change.

Interesting thread - thanks!
Sxx

I must say I never have my nails P&W,only ever opaque pink or semi sheer, I use enamel and gloves. I am sooo critical of my work I find if they are P&W I tend to pick, whereas if they are a block colour I dont.

I am seriously reconsidering paying to get them done again, as I dont have time or inclination to do them lol,,gets me down :(

I probably give myself a new set every 10-14 days.

I get tired of my designs really quickly, and I tend to ruin them within those days at work so I have to fix them anyways.

I don't really mind doing them since it's something I like doing while watching TV.

The down side is that since the salon I work at advertises Japanese nail art, I constantly have to have something cute, sparkly, and crazy. Sometimes I kind of wish I can just have one colour or french, but I know that'll turn off my potential clients :(

I recently passed my course assessment, and I applied sculpts seven weeks ago. I have backfilled every two weeks, and rebalanced once. They are now due to be rebalanced again. The acrylic now covers my own natural nails without need for extensions. I do them myself, and really enjoy doing them. I have not had any noticable lifting either. My nails are a lovely length now, if it wasn't for the acrylic my nails would not have grown without splitting. I realised when I first started my course that I was applying the product too thickly around sidewalls and cuticles, which seemed to cause lifting on my models.

redo every 10 days or its kinda boring.:rolleyes:

I gotta say I totally agree with Katiebaby. I too just do one colour then colour them with polish. I also pick and find I am a perfectionist and if they are not 'perfect' when I do the p+w I pick and have to redo. I have left them alone allot better since all one colour.

I probably give myself a new set every 10-14 days.

I get tired of my designs really quickly, and I tend to ruin them within those days at work so I have to fix them anyways.

I don't really mind doing them since it's something I like doing while watching TV.

The down side is that since the salon I work at advertises Japanese nail art, I constantly have to have something cute, sparkly, and crazy. Sometimes I kind of wish I can just have one colour or french, but I know that'll turn off my potential clients :(
Why not just do one finger? ring finger art and the rest nude? that way your clients can see your WOW work and you don't hate your hands?

I have not touched my hands yet! Going on 2 weeks now! ( I did to a recolor last fri) I am with a few of you here. If they are P&W I am gonna pick! So I have then RED! You see in my avatar. That way I see nothing what so ever that bugs me... real or not!
Good Job for those that have just done normal maintenance! I might do a color change next week if I am feeling "cheeky!"...... Cheeky??? Do we say that in the US??? LOL ;) Time to move East! :hug:

Why not just do one finger? ring finger art and the rest nude? that way your clients can see your WOW work and you don't hate your hands?

I have not touched my hands yet! Going on 2 weeks now! ( I did to a recolor last fri) I am with a few of you here. If they are P&W I am gonna pick! So I have then RED! You see in my avatar. That way I see nothing what so ever that bugs me... real or not!
Good Job for those that have just done normal maintenance! I might do a color change next week if I am feeling "cheeky!"...... Cheeky??? Do we say that in the US??? LOL ;) Time to move East! :hug:

Sachi and I have a bet on .. a six week bet. She must only rebalance her nails for six weeks and not be taking them off again on again. If she does it, not only will she have much healthier nails in better condition, she will get valuable re-balancing practice (the most important thing we do) but she will also get .... (that's a secret between the two of us!! :lol:)

You all go around trashing your nails with all your soaking and buffing every two minutes and then wonder why clients don't trust it when you say ... "the product doesn't harm your nails!!" They think they are seeing the evidence right in front of their eyes :eek:.. even if WE know that it is you trashing your own nails ... THEY don't.

Sachi and I have a bet on .. a six week bet. She must only rebalance her nails for six weeks and not be taking them off again on again. If she does it, not only will she have much healthier nails in better condition, she will get valuable re-balancing practice (the most important thing we do) but she will also get .... (that's a secret between the two of us!! :lol:)

You all go around trashing your nails with all your soaking and buffing every two minutes and then wonder why clients don't trust it when you say ... "the product doesn't harm your nails!!" They think they are seeing the evidence right in front of their eyes :eek:.. even if WE know that it is you trashing your own nails ... THEY don't.
:lick:

I was also scared that I would develop allergic reaction to the L&P, and so did not want that to happen!

:lick:

I was also scared that I would develop allergic reaction to the L&P, and so did not want that to happen!

Well that shouldn't happen unless you are being sloppy and getting monomer continually on your skin! Are you doing that? :hug:

I do my nails every 4-5 weeks. I rebalance each time & leave them alone inbetween times.

I don't have the time to mess with them every other day. And when I've finished work, and it's late, the last thing I want to do is tackle my own nails, as it always takes me longer with my nails as they must be different iykwim.

However, that said, I have one hand that is 2 weeks old with Nfu.Oh products on and the other hand is 5 weeks old (All glitter nails of one colour or another)
I'm desperate to get them rebalanced so they all look the same. The 5 week nails have a good growth & 'feel' out of balance.
May get a chance over the weekend, possibly.

I would love to go has long as 2 weeks but i cant! :cry: I end up filing away corners while at work and then i have to reshape and rebalance once a week and then they end up really short so i have to soak them off to re tip them (because i can't sculpt myself and i have to wear them pretty short to begin with or i just cannot get on with them while at work)
How do you all work without trashing your own nails within days???? I did start wearing the 1 colour and painting them but i always ended up scrubfreshing my polish off while doing clients. I did have a problem with file abrasions all over my fingers and i was getting to the point where my fingertips would bleed so i now wear gloves which i got used too but i still catch the courners of my nails while filing and end up with holes in my gloves, but at least my hands are alot healthier looking now with no soreness and bleeding. Im not holding my file wrong so i must be positioning my fingers all wrong while holding the clients finger, i know i do tend to protect thier skin with my own fingers iykwim :confused:

I have nothing on my nails now and thought i would give them a rest until may (waiting for shellac to be released)
I have started to like the look of my own natural nails now as i wear them short anyway and i like to give myself weekly manicures and i use tonnes of solar oil, thats why im thinking shellac would be more suitable for me.

I would love to go has long as 2 weeks but i cant! :cry: I end up filing away corners while at work and then i have to reshape and rebalance once a week and then they end up really short so i have to soak them off to re tip them (because i can't sculpt myself and i have to wear them pretty short to begin with or i just cannot get on with them while at work)
How do you all work without trashing your own nails within days???? I did start wearing the 1 colour and painting them but i always ended up scrubfreshing my polish off while doing clients. I did have a problem with file abrasions all over my fingers and i was getting to the point where my fingertips would bleed so i now wear gloves which i got used too but i still catch the courners of my nails while filing and end up with holes in my gloves, but at least my hands are alot healthier looking now with no soreness and bleeding. Im not holding my file wrong so i must be positioning my fingers all wrong while holding the clients finger, i know i do tend to protect thier skin with my own fingers iykwim :confused:

I have nothing on my nails now and thought i would give them a rest until may (waiting for shellac to be released)
I have started to like the look of my own natural nails now as i wear them short anyway and i like to give myself weekly manicures and i use tonnes of solar oil, thats why im thinking shellac would be more suitable for me.

Here is the answer to your prayers!!

Why not just learn to hold your clients fingers so that your nails do not get in the way? As the Meercat says .... simplezzzzz!

1 Hold the finger with your thumb and index finger

2 Tuck your middle finger right under the finger you are holding to support the finger while working.

3 Last but not least ... this is the important bit ... cock your wrist so that it is at right angles to the finger so that the base of your thumb is nowhere near the finger instead of all scrunched up against it! (Your elbow should be angled out instead of by your side) This opens a huge window in which you can work and your own nails are nowhere near the file. PLUS your arm is supported on the table (as your other arm should be) which will eliminate any elbow or shoulder aches forever!! Voilà

Well that shouldn't happen unless you are being sloppy and getting monomer continually on your skin! Are you doing that? :hug:

On my Left hand NONE!... on my right hand.... well lets just say I am lucky I can get anything done on that hand!!!! :eek: so yes. I do get a little sloppy lol

Latest posts

Back