How often do you re-do your own nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the answer to your prayers!!

Why not just learn to hold your clients fingers so that your nails do not get in the way? As the Meercat says .... simplezzzzz!

1 Hold the finger with your thumb and index finger

2 Tuck your middle finger right under the finger you are holding to support the finger while working.

3 Last but not least ... this is the important bit ... cock your wrist so that it is at right angles to the finger so that the base of your thumb is nowhere near the finger instead of all scrunched up against it! (Your elbow should be angled out instead of by your side) This opens a huge window in which you can work and your own nails are nowhere near the file. PLUS your arm is supported on the table (as your other arm should be) which will eliminate any elbow or shoulder aches forever!! Voilà

I WANT PHOTOS!!!! lol

2 weeks!! time for a fill and a re-balance.

Sat will be week 4! Only 2 to go. Going to do the fill on Fri as I am out all day sat :Love:

I WANT PHOTOS!!!! lol
me too! we need a pic of this position! (anyone who used to read more magazine...its a bit like position of the fortnight! only probably more acheivable! lol)

I've only just started doing my own, I'm thinking that i'd go 1 1/2 weeks between rebalances but tats only if I don't want to change what I'm waring on them

I used to be a nail biter, however since using l&p I became a picker:eek:. I would continually take my nails on and off and I have COMPLETELY trashed them. I knew they were bad, but I never really looked at them until last weekend, and I was shocked, and I also thought how can I call myself a Nail Technician, when MY nails look so bad! It was a wake up call. Now I have the same nails on that were put on me on Saturday. I know that is only 4 days, but for me it is amazing! I have not picked or touched them once, just lovingly applying Solar Oil at least 3 times a day. Maybe one day when a potential client tells me that acrylic wrecks your nails, I will be able to remove one of my enhancements to prove that they don´t!:biggrin:

I originally wanted to keep doing infill/ rebalances on myself, but my nails always start to curl away from the tips at the free edge (or from the acrylic if I have nno) after about two or three weeks so have to remove and re do them :(

But I do try and leave my nails alone in between so I only soak off once a month/six weeks-ish.

By the way I think it's very true what Gigi has said - I've also bought loads of stuff to do my own nails with instead of concentrating on practising good maintenance techniques :(( (blush) Oh well I guess you live and learn!
x

I used to be a nail biter, however since using l&p I became a picker:eek:. I would continually take my nails on and off and I have COMPLETELY trashed them. I knew they were bad, but I never really looked at them until last weekend, and I was shocked, and I also thought how can I call myself a Nail Technician, when MY nails look so bad! It was a wake up call. Now I have the same nails on that were put on me on Saturday. I know that is only 4 days, but for me it is amazing! I have not picked or touched them once, just lovingly applying Solar Oil at least 3 times a day. Maybe one day when a potential client tells me that acrylic wrecks your nails, I will be able to remove one of my enhancements to prove that they don´t!:biggrin:

Girl friend I was the same way 4 weeks ago!!! Let me tell you what has helped me keep um on. Colored powder!!! Look in my photos. See the red and the pink? All L&P! I type so much polish is gone in a day,and that bugs me! But if I just do french I can see and I pick, and pick and pick more!!! I find if my nails are all one color I don't see any spots to pick

If only i had the time!!! i just do what i can were i can, if they look a mess n you not got time then take them off, there's only so much tidying up that you can do haha. its not a good impression for a new client if yours are a mess though so be aware x

I have always been touching up on a weekly basis when I wear pink and white L&P. Recently I did not have time to redo my whites, so decided on a quick infill and I covered my nails with a sheer pink polish. I have been half as critical as usual and only changed the polish at the stage I would usually be infilling - therefore spending a fraction of the time I usually do on my own nails

I know what I will be doing in future !

Girl friend I was the same way 4 weeks ago!!! Let me tell you what has helped me keep um on. Colored powder!!! Look in my photos. See the red and the pink? All L&P! I type so much polish is gone in a day,and that bugs me! But if I just do french I can see and I pick, and pick and pick more!!! I find if my nails are all one color I don't see any spots to pick

what does this mean with regards to lifting though? you are now not seeing the lifting to pick at it so when you re balance how do you know that you have no lifted areas????? im sure i saw geeg comment about this problem somewhere on a post about coloured acrylic.

maybe using a coloured gel overlay would solve this? or even shellac!

Now that I have graduated I started doing my own nails, always with gel.I change then about once every two weeks, but I always end up painting them or adding bows or something like that when i get bored.

But it takes me ages to do a full set on myself! Very difficult to do my right hand. By the time I get to my right hand I start losing steam. And usually I use tips because I figured it would be easier to apply on myself than to sculpt, but I don't like wearing tips all that much. So if I had the money to always go get them done I would.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks for doing your own nails?

Just to update you, I have now had my nails on for 11 days, maybe not long to some of you but for me - it is unheard of:D I have just changed my polish to go with my outfit occasionaly.:D

even before I got into the business I was always doing my nails I was an acryli-holic doing designs every week now I am a gel-o-holic and find myself doing my nails more often thanks to soak off gels now I am tuning it down to every two weeks as I cannot afford to use all my product on myself :D........plus my clientele is growing and I need to focus on their nails not just mine !

I did it!!!! 6 weeks all my own nails now no tips at all! Nice overlay and they look great! I did break two last night getting my bike in the truck! LOL but that is part of having Nails and an active life!:lick:

Latest posts

Back