How to get rid of khaki/ash tones from blonde?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dolly_1986

Reaction score
Hi,

So after a salon hair disaster where I asked to be blonde and the colour had a noticeable green tinge to it, I have not been able to completely get rid of this since, the only time being whereby I coloured my hair a golden brown from garnier nutrisse, which started fading after two months and some khaki was coming through again.

Last week I got my hair highlighted and stressed that a reddy/golden colour MUST be put on the hair first, otherwise it would have that green tinge again. The hairdresser assured me she'd put a toner on it all afterwards so that there wouldn't be the green.

Well she put it on and low and behold the khaki was still there. I since bought a procleur (sp?) herbal blonde toner in beige which has helped to kick out the brassiness however in some lights the khaki still shows.

Purple shampoos are no good as my hair is not 'brassy', just 'greeny'. Is my only hope dying it red again to get the pigment back, as I had to when I was given a bleach wash and the whole thing went canary yellow?! Or should I buy another blonde toner, I was thinking Wella colour fresh 8/3 golden blonde..

I'm going back to the hairdressers tomorrow, does anyone have any advice I can give THEM?!

Thanks for any help/tips you can think of!!!

Emma

hey i got a little confused with all colours youve had on lol so what colour is your hair at the moment?

The only thing that does counteract green is red, but maybe ask for a warm shade of colour.

xx

I don't think giving your hairdresser advice is a great idea, nor is putting an 8.3 on it yourself, as that will make it MORE green, not less.

It must be frustrating for you, but all this trying to sort it out yourself is making it worse and more problematic for your hairdresser. insisting on a reddy dye before highlights is horrifyingly bad advice. Who told you to say that?

Maybe you need to find a great new hairdresser who is tiptop at colour, can sort you out, and you stop playing with it.

At the moment my hair is the lowest level of bleach highlights with a tint in between. It looks ok but still khaki/brassy in some lights. The hairdresser said I was allowed the lowest bleach only to start off with as it's quite damaged which I agree with! Then again it is quite thick and has seemed to survive almost anything!

I've been trying to find a good colourist for months, all my previous ones have moved away (always the way!).

I thought if they put a toner with a red base this would help matters? Or would it look better if I scrapped the blonde altogether?! I basically want a golden blonde (usually have mixture of tint, highlight and lowlights) but starting to think it will never happen again!

Btw really really appreciate your advice!!

ps. re. the red business - After going canary yellow, a hairdresser basically dyed it a very dark brown colour with a hint of red which faded into a nice brown, which seemed to solve things..

A good colourist will colourwash it with a pink based toner. There is no such thing as a red based toner.

Maybe if you were clear that "brassy" means "orangy" and "khaki" means "greeny" that would clarify your problem to your hairdresser. The products used for brassy highlights will make what we call jungle blonde worse.

Sorry, I did clarify at the time to the hairdresser about the green/khaki problem specifically but she said the toner she put on afterwards would sort it out, which didn't quite seem to work, although not sure what toner she used..

afterwards she said 'maybe you just need to grow the green out', which depressed me as maybe a better colourist would know what to do?! Or is she in fact, correct :S

and yep, staying away from brassy hair products from now on, you're right!

Yes a good colourist can correct the green very easily. Try the Redken salon locator online and find a salon local to you that uses Shades EQ by redken. If they coluur wash your hair with 09RB it will solve your problem.

Thanks for that advice. Will research into it!

Meanwhile I'm not sure I trust the colourist tomorrow to do anything else to my hair as she is clearly not experienced enough to deal with my issue.. but I could mention pink based toners, hmm.

Anyway, thanks for your advice once again, next time I'll make sure I go to a good colourist, I'm considering colour nation, they seem to know what they're doing..

Emma

Update: Went back to the hairdresser who put a colour on it that was clear/white? with 'a bit of ash' she said.

I thought my hair would go even worse but lo and behold all the greeny colour has gone and what's left is a really nice ash blonde.

The colour in between is still slightly orange-y as opposed to a natural dark blonde and I'm not as 'light' as I would like but she said I can come back again for it to be fixed.

What I usually have are 3 colours, the highlight, lowlight (dark blonde) and a tint in between which is a goldy colour, I might ask for that next time, now that I have a good base!

So, yes, it definitely had a green tinge but this toner seemed to work, phew! I'm going to leave my hair alone for a bit!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back