How to take off Bluesky?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulamaula

Reaction score
Hi guys n gals,

Today I qualify as a CND Shellac tech. I cant wait to get started. My first few customers are relations who are coming from a girl who uses Bluesky. Ive heard horror stories about the stuff. Ideally i would love them to get her to take it off but thats not always possible. Have you any tips or advice? Xx

Would of thought it would be same as shellac just maybe leave remover on for 15mins. But check after 10

I would buff off the top coat before you wrap. I do this with everything that I didn't apply, whether they swear blind it is genuine Shellac or not!

Vic x

Eh?! Saturday classes...that's handy!! Where are you training? I want CND weekend classes...I struggle with weekday classes!

Eh?! Saturday classes...that's handy!! Where are you training? I want CND weekend classes...I struggle with weekday classes!

Same here as I work full time whilst trying to build up my nail business xx

Your going to struggle to take this off just because it's cheap nasty stuff and if a tech is using it, she is probably also cutting corners and your clients nails will probably be damaged under them making removal even more difficult :(

file through the top coat until you can see some of the colour coming off onto the file, wrap them with cotton and foil or nail wraps, and if you have heated wheat bags place them over the nails to help speed up the process, take the wraps off one a time every ten mins and take of as much as you can a re wrap.

be prepared for it to take up to an hour !!

Use this time to explain the benefits of using a quality products, and how important aftercare is :)

Best of luck

Your going to struggle to take this off just because it's cheap nasty stuff and if a tech is using it, she is probably also cutting corners and your clients nails will probably be damaged under them making removal even more difficult :(

file through the top coat until you can see some of the colour coming off onto the file, wrap them with cotton and foil or nail wraps, and if you have heated wheat bags place them over the nails to help speed up the process, take the wraps off one a time every ten mins and take of as much as you can a re wrap.

be prepared for it to take up to an hour !!

Use this time to explain the benefits of using a quality products, and how important aftercare is :)

Best of luck
What?? Here in the Netherlands it's sold as a top brand for a fair price. Great results! How come you call it a nasty product? I don't use it but know a lot of nail salons here who do and they are very professional? Soaking takes about 10/15 minutes, so how come you are saying one hour?
I know that when the brand started they were struggeling with professional communication, but I heared that even in the US these products are ok with insurance.

Sorry, but very confused right now because this is totally new for me.

I've had clients come to me from another tech wearing blue sky and I have to say, it didn't need buffing and soaked off in about 12 mins or so. It had lasted well and was lovely and shiny. I remember thinking to myself, it's not as bad as I thought it might be, considering the bad rap it always gets.

What's not right is techs passing it off as CND Shellac. But as long as nobody's trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes I'm not sure it matters?

What?? Here in the Netherlands it's sold as a top brand for a fair price. Great results! How come you call it a nasty product? I don't use it but know a lot of nail salons here who do and they are very professional? Soaking takes about 10/15 minutes, so how come you are saying one hour?
I know that when the brand started they were struggeling with professional communication, but I heared that even in the US these products are ok with insurance.

Sorry, but very confused right now because this is totally new for me.

A lot of techs have observed that removal often takes a long time with these brands. But it is hard to tell if this is a result of the quality of the products or of skills of the people using it. So, if you are confronted with one, allow extra time to soak. If if doesn't come off after 10 minutes, add more remover, re-wrap, making sure that the pad is saturated and fully in contact with the nail, and soak some more. Resist the impulse to scrape.

Here, BS and CCO are considered counterfeit brands - not my opinion, but a legal designation. They use the graphic identity of other brands to deceive techs, clients, and others about what they are purchasing. They even used the trademarked names of Shellac and Gelish until they were sued to make them stop. They have been confiscated at beauty shows. They do still use the bottle design and color names of the known brands. Additionally, there have been issues about MSDS, insurability, animal cruelty and allergic reactions. And many techs do not like that it is sold on eBay to anyone. It is generally not considered a professional product.

I know many techs use them and are satisfied. Personally, I choose not to use counterfeit products because I believe they undermine the professionalism of the profession.

A lot of techs have observed that removal often takes a long time with these brands. But it is hard to tell if this is a result of the quality of the products or of skills of the people using it. So, if you are confronted with one, allow extra time to soak. If if doesn't come off after 10 minutes, add more remover, re-wrap, making sure that the pad is saturated and fully in contact with the nail, and soak some more. Resist the impulse to scrape.

Here, BS and CCO are considered counterfeit brands - not my opinion, but a legal designation. They use the graphic identity of other brands to deceive techs, clients, and others about what they are purchasing. They even used the trademarked names of Shellac and Gelish until they were sued to make them stop. They have been confiscated at beauty shows. They do still use the bottle design and color names of the known brands. Additionally, there have been issues about MSDS, insurability, animal cruelty and allergic reactions. And many techs do not like that it is sold on eBay to anyone. It is generally not considered a professional product.

I know many techs use them and are satisfied. Personally, I choose not to use counterfeit products because I believe they undermine the professionalism of the profession.
Ok, but I think you always have to be carefull with removal, especially when removing nails applied by another nail tech.
When I wear gelish3+ weeks it needs more time to soak as well, and you mustn't scrape as well.

I do agree with you that it's a shame they don't have their own graphic identity and names, that's how the brand started and they haven't changed it since.

Animal cruelty and allergic reactions I can't find anything about that, do you have links? Because sometimes I feel there are a lot of rumours to scare people , while in reality it's not so shocking. Gel polish formulas aren't as new as we think. Gelish brought it on the market as: Color gel in a bottle. Because it is a soft gel you can wear thinner coats, but the ingredients are much the same as hard gel how I understand it, les polymer acrylates so it's softer. For a (chinese) company it isn't their goal to give as much allergies and problems, they want a good product to get good reviews to sell more products.

About the quality, like I said, here in the Netherlands it is one of the top selling brands after Gelish. Shellac sells ok here, but CND isn't market leader. I'm trained with CND acrylics, and their products are great, but sometimes I feel they make things more exciting than they are. FE take the new Led Lamp, on a dutch forum it's full of complaints about the curing, yes, fingers are places correctly , etc, but there are a lot of start up problems in the beginning. Does that make CND a bad product? ofcourse not, you read the complaints and problems online.

Yes you can buy bluesky on ebay, but gelish as well, I must say I buy my gelish there because it's half(!) the price of the dutch shops. They are sold to anyone as well, especially when they released the basix mini kit, what do techs think about that?

Ok, but I think you always have to be carefull with removal, especially when removing nails applied by another nail tech.
When I wear gelish3+ weeks it needs more time to soak as well, and you mustn't scrape as well.

I do agree with you that it's a shame they don't have their own graphic identity and names, that's how the brand started and they haven't changed it since.

Animal cruelty and allergic reactions I can't find anything about that, do you have links? Because sometimes I feel there are a lot of rumours to scare people , while in reality it's not so shocking. Gel polish formulas aren't as new as we think. Gelish brought it on the market as: Color gel in a bottle. Because it is a soft gel you can wear thinner coats, but the ingredients are much the same as hard gel how I understand it, les polymer acrylates so it's softer. For a (chinese) company it isn't their goal to give as much allergies and problems, they want a good product to get good reviews to sell more products.

About the quality, like I said, here in the Netherlands it is one of the top selling brands after Gelish. Shellac sells ok here, but CND isn't market leader. I'm trained with CND acrylics, and their products are great, but sometimes I feel they make things more exciting than they are. FE take the new Led Lamp, on a dutch forum it's full of complaints about the curing, yes, fingers are places correctly , etc, but there are a lot of start up problems in the beginning. Does that make CND a bad product? ofcourse not, you read the complaints and problems online.

Yes you can buy bluesky on ebay, but gelish as well, I must say I buy my gelish there because it's half(!) the price of the dutch shops. They are sold to anyone as well, especially when they released the basix mini kit, what do techs think about that?

Hi Fee, any beauty product manufactured in China for use on people must by law be tested on an animal before it reaches the public hence the animal cruelty factor.

I realise that a majority of gel polish brand are sold on eBay but it's by techs abusing they're access to professional products and is wrong and you can't guarantee it's genuine and it anything were to happen reaction wise because it wasn't purchased from an official retailer like Harmony your insurance would be void. Gelish isn't expensive when you consider you can get around 50 applications from a bottle, I make my money back on a bottle of gel with the first customer I use it on.

Please be careful, cutting corners an costs could end with you being sued an losing your reputation.

Regarding removal it is slightly more difficult with bluesky but as long as you saturate the cotton wool using acetone and wrap and use a bit of heat like the wheat bags, I usually hve no problems removing in less than 15 mins if anyone comes to me for a removal with this on.

Regarding removal it is slightly more difficult with bluesky but as long as you saturate the cotton wool using acetone and wrap and use a bit of heat like the wheat bags, I usually hve no problems removing in less than 15 mins if anyone comes to me for a removal with this on.

are wheat bags only warmed in microwaves?? I dont have a microwave :(

I've definitely tried to remove someone else's gel polish in the past and it took nearly an hour [emoji33]

who knows what brand it was , but it certainly wasn't a professional brand, and it was sold to the client as CND Shellac

It seems to be so common place now that I have started charging for gel polish removal from another salon by every 15mins it takes to remove.

You know when they say "they normally just file it off " your in trouble.

Blue sky is a company that has tried ( and succeeded to an extent) to trick consumers into thinking it is a different product (namely CND) , if they are that blatant about ripping consumers off, what makes you think they care about producing a quality product?

I had a client come in for shellac that had bluesky on. It took ages to remove. I buffed the topcoat and left the remover on for 15 mins in the end but still bits were rock hard and stuck fast to the nail. I ended up having to buff some bits. It was a nightmare.

Gelish is only sold on eBay by nail techs that should know better. eBay do remove these products also.

Bluesky the actual company sell on eBay. They don't sell to pros, it isn't a professional product. They sell to anyone anywhere.
When you talk of price? What is bluesky comparable in price to for you? Here it's incredibly cheap which is why some people buy it. Cheap but not good.

This is why bluesky isn't a professional brand.

Just buff the topcoat, wrap and soak as you usually would for any other gel polish removal. It may take 5-10 mins more than usual.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-04-12-42-03.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-04-12-42-03.png
    353.5 KB · Views: 238

Yes, you do have to be careful when removing any other tech's product, but the counterfeit brands have been especially problematic. Animal cruelty is a problem because it is made in China and regulations there require all cosmetic products to be tested on animals. Allergic reactions are a problem because it is the photoinitiator that is the sensitizing agent in gel polishes (not the acrylates). Counterfeit products, in order to get a product that cures fast, add extra (and less expensive) photoinitiator resulting in a product that cures fast, but can cause allergic reactions. And remember, even if the reaction was caused by BS, the allergy then is to all photoinitiators.

As for BS being sold on eBay, I think pretty much anything can be bought somewhere (especially in the US), but that isn't the sole basis for declaring it not a professional product. Unlike professional brands, BS and CCO do not sell in professional stores, do not advertise in professional media. They have no training or education, no customer service, no marketing. They have no supporting products. They have simply skimmed off a profitable area of the market. As for the graphic identity, that is more than "a shame." It is a deliberate attempt to have their product confused with another.

This is your business and you have the right to use the products you want to - as long as you are honest with your clients. I choose not to use products that I believe undercut the professionalism of the field. It is just my opinion, but I do think it is consistent with the facts.

Great to read all these replies, like I said, in the Netherlands BS doesn't have this image at all, so fascinating! I translated some of your information for a dutch forum.

Important to know, it's not as if bluesky here is sold as a CND product, it's really the brand bluesky itself, also in the communication towards cliënts.

This is why bluesky isn't a professional brand.

Just buff the topcoat, wrap and soak as you usually would for any other gel polish removal. It may take 5-10 mins more than usual.
£250 quid are they taking the mick? [emoji23][emoji23]

Latest posts

Back