**||How Young is Too Young?||**

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
It's nothing we haven't heard before: kids these days are growing up too quickly. Whether you see this as a problem or an inevitability, it still doesn't detract from the fact that it's almost certainly true. How often though, do you as a beauty professional, stop and wonder if we are playing any part in this?

Child beauty treatments are on the increase. There are salons dedicated solely to offering hair and beauty treatments to children. Is there anything wrong with this? As a professional do you beleive there's a market for child beauty? Would you offer mini-sized manicures for teeny tiny hands? More to the point, DO you offer them? Are the papers right? Is this just another step towards sexualising children? Who knows...what I do know is that it's a hot topic and one we can't ignore.

This week at Salon Geek HQ we'll be investigating more about this issue after a spate of stories in the national press and, as ever, we want to know what you think.

Until then....Geek On.

The Ed.

Attachments

• little girl.jpg
    little girl.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 414
It's nothing we haven't heard before: kids these days are growing up too quickly. Whether you see this as a problem or an inevitability, it still doesn't detract from the fact that it's almost certainly true. How often though, do you as a beauty professional, stop and wonder if we are playing any part in this?

Child beauty treatments are on the increase. There are salons dedicated solely to offering hair and beauty treatments to children. Is there anything wrong with this? As a professional do you beleive there's a market for child beauty? Would you offer mini-sized manicures for teeny tiny hands? More to the point, DO you offer them? Are the papers right? Is this just another step towards sexualising children? Who knows...what I do know is that it's a hot topic and one we can't ignore.

This week at Salon Geek HQ we'll be investigating more about this issue after a spate of stories in the national press and, as ever, we want to know what you think.

Until then....Geek On.

The Ed.

Hello,

Personally I offer Pamper Parties for children which involve a bit of eye make-up and a body gem on the face, or a file and paint both with glitter tattoos.

As they get older, I offer a Nailcare party or a Skincare party which is more like a workshop that helps educate them into how and what to do as opposed to 'tarting up'.

I offer ear-piercing for over 2 yr olds provided parents bring the red/purple book.

I wouldn't have a Child Only place as I just don't feel it's for me.

Certain aspects do sexualise kids though I feel it's the shock value of reality programs that cause this (Pushy parents/Child Models/Tantrums & Tiaras or whatever the shows are called).

I think there is nothing wrong with a youngster playing dress up with mummy's make-up but I wouldn't enter my kid in a beauty pageant as I just think it opens up a whole load of confidence issues, the potential to have eating disorders when they get older through rejection, worse still, extreme cosmetic surgery.

It's like a drug, start with a ciggie, move onto a joint, does it stop there or progress into full blown Class A addiction?

Children are so innocent and lose a bit of that when they start school, I feel there is no need to add to their pressure of growing up by having to look a certain way as there is enough of that already.

Yet, when I clip my son's nails, I file them (and his toenails) and have done since he was born so he doesn't scratch himself etc, he'll grow knowing mummy looks after his nails to make them strong and grow properly. And I put that in at bath time so it's all part of his personal hygiene.

A 'friend' saw me file his nails and told me "I'd turn him into a poof"! I went mental, males of any age who take care of their skin, hair and nails is a good thing, not a sign of sexual preference and if he grows effeminate/gay, at least he won't be a sweaty hulky ape and a pleasure to hug instead of me having to buy him smellies every Christmas as a hint to WASH!

Going back to the point though, I did a party the other night for some 10 yr olds and they were a pleasure and loved the glitter tattoos and it was all fine and nice and la de dah, UNTIL I saw them dance.

They were in a dance group and MAN, THAT WAS WAY TOO MUCH!

10 yr olds dancing sexually like RiHanna or whoever, is what concerns me much more.

Wether they are wearing lippy or not, a hip gyration is a hip gyration and I was mortified. I kept quiet obviously while thinking, if that was my kid, she'd be locked in a cupboard til age 40!

But then, I am wrong in that sense too. There is only so much cotton wool, we can clothe our kids in...

Interestingly enough, I heard on my local radio show about 2 weeks ago that Gary Barlow (Take That) had said that music videos were to sexual and he worried about his kids and that they'd picked up swearing through Black Eyed Peas songs.

Coming from a guy dressed in leather and mesh during live concerts, I thought ok, he's a parent now, clearly he's grown up a bit and I thought it was really good as I guess with X Factor and his Take That career, he is a bit of a role model now.

H x

Personally I think all little girls love playing dress up. My girls 8 and two are always in my make up! I polish their nails and straighten/curl their hair put mushed up avocado on their faces and they do the same to me! I was thinking of running pamper parties for the over sevens but think the reaction of the public would be terrible :-( the only people sexualising children are those who see a little girl in pink lipgloss at a birthday party and see it for something other than the innocent dress up that it is!
I wouldn't fake tan my daughters or wax and pluck them or have them booked in for regular acrylic nails but once in a while I think it's sweet and just girls being girls. When my daughters start wanting to pluck their eyebrows I will be taking them to a salon as my brows are ruined from abusing them in my teenage years!
I used to love nothing more than wearing my mums heels, a pair of tights on my hair (looked like princess hair in my 7 year old mind) and pilfering mums oil of olay and Avon perfume it's a healthy normal part of growing up and if you see this as sexual then you have issues!

Having said all that I will not allow my daughters to have their ears pierced. My pet hate is seeing babies with pierced ears and I think it's tantamount to child abuse as they dont need or ask for someone to put holes in their ears and cause them pain! When mine are 13 I will take them to get them done ie when they are sensible enough for after care And old enough to decide x

And I agree that the music industry needs to be regulated. My 8 year old was singing "I like it when you put it there, put it right there" whilst dancing and touching herself provocatively. It was 10am and Nicole thingy me bob was on! Rhianna, ga ga, nikki minja, pussy cat dolls and many more are banned in my house :-(

We say "children should be children" but isn't it part of a normal childhood for most little girls to play with their mum's makeup and to wear her high heeled shoes etc? It's natural when are growing up to want to grow up quicker than nature intended. Just like it is natural for an older woman to want to slow down the aging process :lol:... what have those normal natural feelings have to do with sexuality.

I am not in favour of encouraging little girls to be little Lolitas or to make them into mini adults, but with a bit of professional guidance they could learn how to apply make up nicely for a special occasion or take an interest in good grooming and their nails and the health of their skin. We keep children well protected from the sun so at a certain age they are going to want spray tans for sure.

Learning about good skin care and eating a healthy diet to improve the skin are all good side effects of going to a salon. There are many children and teens that have weight issues and I think that a salon aimed at taking pride in ones appearance would be a good thing for them. There is no need for beauty services to make children necessarily look like adults or to sexualize them ... it can be good education for them.

I don't have any children but a lot of my friends do - personally in terms
Of a little bit of lip gloss eyeshadows and all things glittery little girls love it! I had a Sally head at 4 that you could put make up on and I loved it! I think it's part of being a little girl.

What I don't agree with is fake tan waxing acrylic nails (light polish is fine I wasn't allowed dark pink or red till I was about 12!!) I hate little girls with permanent colour or bleach highlights etc. I think it's ok to play around with true semi's as these wash out. My friends daughter wanted pink hair and she is White blonde so we compromised (she's 8) and put a couple of strands of pink through the front and it washes out after a week.

On one hand you have parents taking the 'sexualisation' of children too far by letting them wear inappropriate clothing as well as beauty treatments not suited for their age but on the other you have mums just letting their little girls be interested in Girly stuff! There's a fine line but folk who jump on the bandwagon saying EVERYTHING is wrong need to wake up. Things are changing in this day and age - my mum played with a doll and a pram at 13 and id of never dreamed of it! Kids are growing up quicker due to a number of things in today's society but letting them play with make up is not the root cause!

I feel there's a fine line between playing dress up and becoming little Divas or Lolitas. I feel these children salons are creating little Lolitas. I don't think it's healthy. There are too many young girls who feel they must adhere to the images they see in magazines. These Lolita salons feed into that. Young girls and young women are falling prey to body dysmorphic disorder in droves.

I don't blame the salon owner...he/she is in this industry to make money, after all. I blame the moms who take their little Lolitas there.

I've seen a lot of these pampered little Divas when they've gotten older. They're horrid, snobbish, vain, obnoxious fashionistas who care only about lookism. They can't pass a mirror without stopping to marvel at themselves.

This goes beyond getting into mommy's makeup and putting on her heels. This crossed the line into ludicrous.

I feel there's a fine line between playing dress up and becoming little Divas or Lolitas. I feel these children salons are creating little Lolitas. I don't think it's healthy. There are too many young girls who feel they must adhere to the images they see in magazines. These Lolita salons feed into that. Young girls and young women are falling prey to body dysmorphic disorder in droves.

I don't blame the salon owner...he/she is in this industry to make money, after all. I blame the moms who take their little Lolitas there.

I've seen a lot of these pampered little Divas when they've gotten older. They're horrid, snobbish, vain, obnoxious fashionistas who care only about lookism. They can't pass a mirror without stopping to marvel at themselves.

This goes beyond getting into mommy's makeup and putting on her heels. This crossed the line into ludicrous.

I understand these salons that cater to children have been around in the USA for allot longer than than here in Europe where they are a rather new phenomenon ... so I do bow to your experience on this one. Here's me thinking these salons could have a good affect on some children if run properly but of course there is no guarantee of that is there?

I think that's what I was trying to say... But you said it properly, I went all round the houses lol x

I think young girls need to learn to care for themselves properly. Absolutely.

I've seen mothers bring their young daughters in for consultations with skin care professionals so that they can be informed on how to properly care for their skin in order to fight off blemishes and other pre-teen/teen skin problems.

I've also seen mothers bring their daughters in to learn about make up...to learn about color palettes, application, removal and how to care for their brushes. It was all very age appropriate.

Are these Little Diva Salons doing the above? Or are they cranking out more spoiled, entitled, pampered brats?

<WARNING - I will rant, cos this is a pet peeve of mine>

Before we moved here to NZ, my then 7 year old daughter was invited to a birthday party for one of her school friends. (Deerfield Beach, Florida). They went to one of these places in the mall (It was the mall over near Plantation, Florida) and it was appalling what I saw when I went to pick her up.

They were all tarted up like little harlots and my poor kid, who begged off them using makeup on her skin (she has sensitive skin, always has) or spraying her with hairspray (it makes her itch) was a mess. As soon as we came home she went immediately into the shower, scrubbed all the crap off her face and out of her hair and came out and said it was the absolute worst experience of her life. She was MISERABLE.

That was one of the many factors that made us move up our plans to move to New Zealand and get the hell out of where we were. Not to bash America (hell I was born and raised there) however the media and the pressure put on kids by parents for the multitude of reasons (you aren't pretty enough, your grades aren't high enough, you have to do this and this and this and...ad nauseum).

Kids are not allowed to be kids for the most part there. And if you happen to be one of the parents who doesn't overschedule your kids to the breaking point, or buy all the crap everyone else has (ie. play the keeping up with the Joneses bs) you and your kid are ostracised. And its not just South Florida, I've had this discussion with many friends of mine who are scattered all over America and it is the same damn thing every.time.

Now we do have it here in NZ, I'm not that thick. But we both feel (hubby and I) that we have a helluva lot more control over what our kids are exposed to HERE than we ever did THERE.

Geeg, what you originally said - thats what my Mom did for me back in the day. That is also what I have done and continue to do with my girls (and I did it with the boy as well) now. That is more about taking care of yourself than it is about keeping up an appearance or trying to fit into someone elses idea of what you should be.

Somewhere along the way a line was crossed and I'm not sure when and how it happened but I do know it happened and it saddens me greatly.

/end rant
Thx for reading

Nancy

V HUNTER started a very good thread not that long ago on this subject called THE LOLITA AFFECT.

I have tried to provide the link but am obviously doing something wrong.

Latest posts

Back