Hypocrites betting on the Grand National

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobile Manicure

Reaction score
Don't you just get annoyed at people who sprout that they dislike cruelty to animals and yet bet on things such as the Grand National to win a few bucks?

It's been widely reported that these races are cruel and deadly to the animals involved.

Any animal competition like cock fighting and dog fights is horrendous. And all those poor greyhounds that get mistreated and neglected after they've hit their racing prime.

People need to be more "educated" about what really goes on. :grr::grr:

They argue that the horses enjoy it but it is simply fight or flight response. Also I don't tend to need to ne hurt to do something I enjoy

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

The grand national is disgusting.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I despise the grand national and any kind of horse racing. Yes, I can agree that horses like to race. They do NOT, however enjoy being whipped and forced to race around an 'obstacle course' with a ridiculous amount of horses to contend with. Of course they are going to fall! It makes me sick that they allow it to happen, knowing full well that it could lead to these poor animals dying.

It annoys me so much ! I've just had an argument with my man for betting on it could strangle him !!! The poor horses it's so cruel :( x

Horse racing is horrible and cruel. I can't watch it. How people can watch it is beyond me. The racers hitting the horses so hard and horses falling over. Hope it gets banned but then fox hunting was banned and that still goes on :( hate it all

I watched it last year as I was at my husband's family's house. They all get really into it. It really upset me, then THEY got offended that I was upset with them!

Laura xx

All you can do is try and educate the thick and gormless.

I will probably get ripped to shreds here now, I DO NOT agree with animal cruelty I do however bet on the grand national always have done, The first problem is that most people have never been involved in racing a horse, people see a race on the TV where a horse has had an horrific accident and then assume that happens in every race that is ran. Now horses are animals there natural instinct is to run/race if a trainer doesn't think it will race it will be sold an maybe kept as some ones pet if in the unfortunate event a horse falls and gets injured it has to put down as it's not simple for a horse to recover as a human would. I will say unfortunately there people out there that do abuse animals but I'm sorry if all horses were so badly treated there wouldn't be legal horse racing. I hope I don't offend anybody by this post it is not my intention I just to get my feelings across about racing. X

Just because things are legal doesn't mean it's right! Lol

May I state again that ignorance is bliss for some people.

If something brings in so much revenue, it will continue. No matter what it is. Totally off topic but did you know that we could actually have cars that run on practically nothing but because fuel tax makes so much revenue, it will never be replaced. Same reason why cigarettes won't ever be banned. They make too much money for the Government.

Horse racing is cruel. Full stop.

Horse racing is blood sport pure and simple. It wouldnt exist if the bookies didnt make money from it. Horses doe not naturally race. What does a horse do when they dont have a jockey on their backs. They stand there and eat grass! All those poor creatures raced today will be retired to the slaughter house when they can no longer race. I know someone who has rescused race horses including grand national winners and the amount of damage that is done is incomprehendable. Jockeys are legallised animal abusers and tbh i would rather bet on a jockeys life then an animals. Just my two pence worth

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree with all that's been said, horse racing is cruel and unnatural and shouldn't be allowed. Horses do fall over get injured, pull muscles etc. To the person who said it hardly ever happens for me if it happens just once, to one animal then it's wrong!

Thank you for raising this topic. I don't bet on animals, and have never watched a horse race. As an animal lover, I find it abhorrent. It will continue all the time people participate.

A client who was a bookie once told me never to bet, as the bookie ALWAYS wins.

I disagree, I know many people who have horses, my other halfs mother is a jockey, my grandad is also a very well known tipster and used to have horses... It's not cruel, if the horse doesn't enjoy it - it simply won't do it. They are very stubborn animals... Whipping doesn't cause the animal any pain or discomfort - of the horse doesn't like it - it simply won't do it. So saying it's cruel is wrong. It's not cruel. It's not animal cruelty. The race horses are extremely well looked after inspected by vets loads of times and fit for what they do. If it gets injured it retires or is put down if it's severe - just like any other animal...

I disagree, I know many people who have horses, my other halfs mother is a jockey, my grandad is also a very well known tipster and used to have horses... It's not cruel, if the horse doesn't enjoy it - it simply won't do it. They are very stubborn animals... Whipping doesn't cause the animal any pain or discomfort - of the horse doesn't like it - it simply won't do it. So saying it's cruel is wrong. It's not cruel. It's not animal cruelty. The race horses are extremely well looked after inspected by vets loads of times and fit for what they do. If it gets injured it retires or is put down if it's severe - just like any other animal...

Whipping doesn't cause pain or discomfort? Do you TRULY believe that? Wow.

How can we possibly know whether the horse "enjoys it"? Did you ask it?
They are born and bred for this purpose so they do it but it doesn't mean is enjoying itself?!

Whipping doesn't cause pain or discomfort? Do you TRULY believe that? Wow.

Horses are very thick skinned. It doesn't cause it any pain using a whip. Yes it can feel it, but not on the same level as ourselves.

I'm so glad so many "professionals" can get into the horse's psyche and know instinctively what it does and doesn't enjoy. You've been brainwashed with only one side of the story - told by the people who make money from it: jockeys, tipsters and vets.

How do you know that whipping doesn't cause the horse pain? What? A horse has no nerve endings? Let's see if whipping your mother in law will hurt. Give me her address and I'll pop round and let you know the results of the experiment. Time to study biology. The horse is in constant fear which overrides its so called stubbornness.
:grr::grr:

Horse racing is blood sport pure and simple. It wouldnt exist if the bookies didnt make money from it. Horses doe not naturally race. What does a horse do when they dont have a jockey on their backs. They stand there and eat grass! All those poor creatures raced today will be retired to the slaughter house when they can no longer race. I know someone who has rescused race horses including grand national winners and the amount of damage that is done is incomprehendable. Jockeys are legallised animal abusers and tbh i would rather bet on a jockeys life then an animals. Just my two pence worth

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't agree with the grand national. It's too many horses racing over obstacles that are too high and unsafe but a lot of what you are saying is not true. Horses do race naturally and will happily sprint around a field for fun. They don't end up in slaughter houses either, many are retired or sent to retraining centres, the winners are brought back every year to parade. While I believe tougher rules are needed on the sport, saying jockeys are legalised animal abusers is harsh.

Latest posts

Back