Hypocrites betting on the Grand National

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I looked at the images on google images. DISGUSTING, there is no excuse for this whatsoever. So sad. It makes the Grand National look like a walk in the park.

I hadn't heard of the crushing thing before but sounds absolutely vile. Some very strange and cruel people in this world. Disgusting and very sad.

For me, I don't know enough to say either way. I agree with another OP that I believe there are too many horses and too higher fence to jump but as far as I'm aware at least one of those issues are being slowly addressed- too slowly mind.

To touch on a few points mentioned, so I hope not off topic, I think theres a lot of confusing opinions(?) and/or facts (?). Some non horse racing horse lovers love it, others hate it. My cousin loves Zippy her horse, likes the gee gees but is an avid supporter of stopping cruelty against animals, so I find that very confusing based on comments on here.

I would like to understand it better, to form an opinion. As for the do you eat meat vs against the grand national stance- I don't think that the two can be compared, in so much as humanly slaughtering animals for food, i personally think is vastly different. Killing for vanity no, a definite no- leather, fur, cosmetics etc I don't agree with- though I'll hold my hands up to buying leather and animal tested products in the past either through knowledge or ignorance. But for food, there is a food chain in life- maybe a silly example but we kill pigs for food, as lions kill zebra for food too. Not a popular opinion understandably for vegans and vegetarians.

I don't think for one minute that any jockey sets out to harm their horse, but do agree more needs to be done to make the national safer.

I believe everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion, but I do believe it should be based on pure fact, not what someone 'thinks' may or may not be the case. Education is key, as always.

So a litany of contradictions and hypocrisies in my post there, but I just don't know enough to wholly agree one way or the other.

Interesting thread x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

nope it is very much real and up untill 2008 it was seen as a violation of an Americans freedoms to ban the use of animals in this way.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

What?? That's crazy!

nope it is very much real and up untill 2008 it was seen as a violation of an Americans freedoms to ban the use of animals in this way.

Human Rights. Oh I'll start that thread next weekend. I have very strong views on that issue too. Should keep us entertained. No, no, no, just kidding. :eek:

No politics allowed.

My mum used to breed horses and years ago bred one that was a top three day eventer. He got so good that mum couldn't afford to keep him going at it so he was sold to the irish three day eventing team, he was to go to the Olympics in Barcelona. Not long before the Olympics he injured himself, we had to fight to get him back because he was off to the knackers yard, that's was it, no use anymore so off to be shot. We got him home and he lived his days out with some friends.

A client of mine had her potential race horse shot because he injured himself and wasn't going to race, he was 5 years old. She now has pictures of him on facebook with rip next to them, it makes me sick!

Neither had life threatening injuries. Yes the horses that have done well like red rum and desert orchid will live their days out well looked after but please don't tell me these 'horse lovers' really care about horses, if they are no good they will just get rid, as said by a jockey 'horses are replaceable'

My mum used to breed horses and years ago bred one that was a top three day eventer. He got so good that mum couldn't afford to keep him going at it so he was sold to the irish three day eventing team, he was to go to the Olympics in Barcelona. Not long before the Olympics he injured himself, we had to fight to get him back because he was off to the knackers yard, that's was it, no use anymore so off to be shot. We got him home and he lived his days out with some friends.

A client of mine had her potential race horse shot because he injured himself and wasn't going to race, he was 5 years old. She now has pictures of him on facebook with rip next to them, it makes me sick!

Neither had life threatening injuries. Yes the horses that have done well like red rum and desert orchid will live their days out well looked after but please don't tell me these 'horse lovers' really care about horses, if they are no good they will just get rid, as said by a jockey 'horses are replaceable'

I am sad to hear this and i had an inkling this was the case with injured horses.
And they say horse racing isnt cruel.
I learned as a young child what happened to race horses who went lame and it broke my heart. Im a great lover these animals and would love to own one but having no knowledge and little finance its not for me.
I am glad you got your horse back safely, some are not so lucky.
A friend of mine loaned her horse out and it was sold for meat, absolutely disgusting! She was heartbroken of course and they never caught the people who did it!

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

I watched the national for the first time this year. Well not all of it I admit as I found it really hard to watch.

The poor horses falling was awful. Not knowing if they've got back up and then seeing all the other horses practically running over them, made me panic so I stopped watching and don't think I will bother again.

As for the whip thing, I don't know anything about horses or riding so I'm probably wrong but can't the jockeys get in trouble for over using it? Why would they get in trouble if it wasn't hurting the horses?
And if it's just to make them think a horse is coming close to them why do they hit near their back legs?
I'm not being rude, I just really don't understand it?

I watched the national for the first time this year. Well not all of it I admit as I found it really hard to watch.

The poor horses falling was awful. Not knowing if they've got back up and then seeing all the other horses practically running over them, made me panic so I stopped watching and don't think I will bother again.

As for the whip thing, I don't know anything about horses or riding so I'm probably wrong but can't the jockeys get in trouble for over using it? Why would they get in trouble if it wasn't hurting the horses?
And if it's just to make them think a horse is coming close to them why do they hit near their back legs?
I'm not being rude, I just really don't understand it?

I dont understand it either. It was literally something i read on facebook. Perhaps it does catch thier eye during movement, over using could mean they are relying on it to shift the horse too much. Im taking a stab in the dark here and generally just hoping it doesnt actually cause pain. The sound must startle them too and nothing bolts faster than a startled horse. Running purely on flight or fright cant be healthy either. Could anyone imagine running for thier life for entertainment of others? Rather grim when u look at it that way.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

Anyone who supports the fur trade should watch the Swiss undercover film from a Chinese fur farm. Google PETA racoon dogs.

Wasn't this for ugg boots?
I saw part of the video that was going around, was nearly physically sick, my blood boiled, - iwas bad enough hearing a rant about clients kids hitting the dog with a spade and punching it...

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

You haven't explained to me why "a horse runs faster when it sees a whip". (Your words, not mine). Please enlighten me as you seem to be so experienced in this field.

'Showing the whip' is a term that is used. The whip is made of 2 strips of leather that slap together when waved in the air and make a noise. This noise is what makes the horse run faster in the first instance. If you look closely you will see the jockeys waving the whip like madmen but not making contact. I'm not saying that they do not ever make contact with the horse but a horses skin is not like ours and it does not feel the same as if we did it on ourselves. Some jockeys are somewhat enthusiastic with the whip and get punished with riding bans. They don't repeat the offence as if they are not racing, they are not earning.
Obviously you have your opinion on it all and nothing is going to change that, just as nothing is going to change mine but you come across as very defensive and rude when others do not agree with you which turned this thread into an unhealthy bitchfest. A shame as it was interesting to begin with but descended into insults and a competition on who has the most tales of animal cruelty and posting links to shock and upset on subjects nothing to do with the Grand National!

Despite my posting asking for this to stay on topic....Hypocrites betting on the Grand National.... and not descend into the ridiculous it appears some people missed it.
We have had comments like jockeys stopping to eat their horses, whipping kids not horses, touched on the wearing of fur, links about crushing animals. Finally we have come back to horse racing!

Animal cruelty is a very serious issue and of course passions will run high, not really a topic than can be diffused by humour, and I'm not sure it should be.
Intelligent debate is welcomed on here, but you do need to be aware that people of opposing views will not necessarily change them no matter how impassioned you get.

If some of the 'ridiculous' comments hadn't been posted this thread would have been closed 10 pages ago, if it got that far. There is more uproar, bitchiness and ridiculous comments on 'what colour do I use to change my hair from blonde to brown' than on this thread. The Grand National would always spark animal cruelty. .. After all isn't that really what the debate is about reading the first post? so surely the topic would have other forms of cruelty mentioned than just horses. If I offended someone with my whipping kids comment I'm sure it would have been removed. A few of us learnt that there is such a terrible thing called animal crushing. ..I didn't know this, so I learnt something from this thread other than 'You eat meat, you're a hypocrite' comments that very quickly become personal!

Sent from my GT-N710 0 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
If some of the 'ridiculous' comments hadn't been posted this thread would have been closed 10 pages ago, if it got that far. There is more uproar, bitchiness and ridiculous comments on 'what colour do I use to change my hair from blonde to brown' than on this thread. The Grand National would always spark animal cruelty. .. After all isn't that really what the debate is about reading the first post? so surely the topic would have other forms of cruelty mentioned than just horses. If I offended someone with my whipping kids comment I'm sure it would have been removed. A few of us learnt that there is such a terrible thing called animal crushing. ..I didn't know this, so I learnt something from this thread other than 'You eat meat, you're a hypocrite' comments that very quickly become personal!

Sent from my GT-N710 0 using SalonGeek mobile app

herr here (for once) Virtues.
Of course chit chat changes course and goes off on a tangent. Chit Chat is conversational and so, as with normal chit chat, all aspects of cruelty to animals is going to be discussed.

herr here (for once) Virtues.
Of course chit chat changes course and goes off on a tangent. Chit Chat is conversational and so, as with normal chit chat, all aspects of cruelty to animals is going to be discussed.

Do I sense a bond forming between us Nearlyme....*wink*

Lets hope there are many more interesting discussions between us all.

Do I sense a bond forming between us Nearlyme....*wink*

Lets hope there are many more interesting discussions between us all.

Lets not push it..

Latest posts

Back