I’m stressed out about clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbeauty89

Reaction score
so the past week I’ve been in exstreme pain.. I’ve basically slipped a disc in my back and can barely walk.

obviously I’ve had to cancel clients as my health is more important . This makes me realise clients are not your friends ... does anybody else have this problem.. some are really understanding but I’ve had others say things like ‘ oh but I’m going on holiday ‘ it’s abit late notice ... or just plain don’t worry about it . It’s really frustrating !! It’s like I’m not human and can’t be ill. I feel so over being self employed it’s very disheartening when you put so much effort into them. These clients have cancelled on me before or even not turned up and I’ve let it go. Am I taking this too personally? :(

so the past week I’ve been in exstreme pain.. I’ve basically slipped a disc in my back and can barely walk.

obviously I’ve had to cancel clients as my health is more important . This makes me realise clients are not your friends ... does anybody else have this problem.. some are really understanding but I’ve had others say things like ‘ oh but I’m going on holiday ‘ it’s abit late notice ... or just plain don’t worry about it . It’s really frustrating !! It’s like I’m not human and can’t be ill. I feel so over being self employed it’s very disheartening when you put so much effort into them. These clients have cancelled on me before or even not turned up and I’ve let it go. Am I taking this too personally? :(

Number one- your health is more important. Unfortunately, im exactly the same as you and take it to heart but it's because we love what we do and give 100% and bend over backwards for people and we think that they would take this into consideration and do the same. I had a week off last week and didn't return any calls/texts, and a client of 4 and half years who texted, is now ignoring my texts who I thought was a friend, it makes you feel guilty about having a week off!! Arghhh. Speedy recovery! X

We have all been there! One of my tan addicted clients stopping coming to me for a month because I told her scrub her tan of before another app and so I hadn't seen her... Clients are not friends they are a money business we need to separate these two. If they actually care about your work they will not stray
It's hard being self employed but always remember offer clients something that no other Tech does!

I offer very late nights and work everyday to suit my clients, but as it's Nov it's a really slow month and clients have said they are saving for their family! So take that into account as well...

That client I hadn't seen in a month eventually came back because no one will satisfy her like myself.

No, clients are not friends and you have to keep the boundaries clear.
If you are unable to work then you have to take time off to heal. Clients cancel us at the slightest snivel! It works both ways so don't feel bad about it. Put a message on your phone explaining the situation to anyone who rings in and personally contact the ones you have to cancel with apologies. Perhaps offer them a discount on their first appointment when you are back to work? Email them a voucher to use thanking them for their understanding..blah..blah (make them feel guilty ;) )

My general advice to any therapist would be:
  • Never put them on your personal Facebook page (they should be 'liking' & 'following' your salon FB page)
  • Never give them your personal mobile number
  • Keep communication with clients only on a business email address / FB business message / business phone line (have automated response messages set up saying when you will get back to them)
  • Fix your holiday dates in your appointment book a few months ahead and stick to them. Put the dates on your website etc etc
  • Accept that is ok to say 'No' sometimes!

Most clients are lovely and very appreciative of your time, others will just go elsewhere at the drop of a hat or a cheaper offer! Such is the nature of the competitive business we are currently in, so don't take it too personally.

I can totally appreciate this. I have years of spinal problems and it has meant times where I can't struggle on and have had to cancel and close for periods. This last week has been crazy busy and my back is paying the price, but being self employed I can't afford to turn the business away or risk losing clients. By yesterday afternoon I was exhausted and in pain, and thinking "If I was employed or on a contract I would have called in sick today" Instead I did 4 massages, 2 facials and 4 pedicures. Uft! Generally my (regular!) clients are really understanding and know I have back trouble (some even offer to deliver shopping when I can't drive!) and are genuinely caring and concerned. In that respect I'm lucky. But it is a huge worry that I have to push myself to keep going and remain open, even when I probably should be putting my health first. I hope you're back on your feet soon, and that your clients respect that you're only human and have to put yourself first.

Latest posts

Back