I want to change my hair!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2beauty

Reaction score
hiya,

I have fairly long hair (to my ribs). It's dyed black (home dye...I know it's bad!!).

Basically I was moaning to my friend (qualified hairdresser) about the cost of my hairdressers at the time and she offered to dye it for me, I said I just wanted the same darkish brown semi permanent colour. All fine til I looked in the mirror and it was black!! I was mortified. She apologised but the damage was done.

Anyway since then, for the past seven years I've been dying my own hair. I went to the hairdressers for a strand test but they said my hair just melted it's in that bad condition.

My question really is what is the best way to repair my hair and what work/how long would It take to go lighter. I'd love to end up with brown/blonde ombré eventually but I can't see that happening!! I'm just so sick of my hair!! I tried grey extensions but didnt last 6 weeks til I'd had enough too much hard work for me!!

Any help/suggestions much appreciated xx

Blonde ombré on your current hair isn't remotely realistic.

Once your hair has been damaged to the point of breaking/melting, the only option is to cut it off and start again. Olaplex infused treatments can help repair broken bonds within the hair but there's nothing that can be done to repair damaged cuticle scales on the outside of the hair. Cutting it off is the only option.
I'm guessing that part of the reason it's so badly damaged is due to a build up of colour, where you're effectively re-applying box dyes over existing colour. The peroxide in the box dye will eventually start to strip off parts of the cuticle layer.
Also, do you use heat protection products when using irons or a hairdryer?

First step is to get as much of the damaged sections cut out, stop using box dyes and start using lots of quality conditioning treatments. You might need to go quite short.

Secondly, if you want beautifully looking swishy long hair, you have to be prepared to look after it properly and splash the cash, if you want it colouring professionally.

Thirdly, don't let your friend loose on it again. :eek:

Whenever you colour your roots from now on let a professional do it. And ONLY have the colour put on the roots. Nowhere else.

Thank you both x

I know it's totally unrealistic! But what is life without dreams ;) i'd settle for it not being black tbf...although everyone likes it on me as I'm quite Olivey/yellow skinned.

I have a bit of a hairdresser phobia, more so now, so I'm currently searching for a highly recommended one in my area which isn't as easy as you might think! I can't seem to find anywhere/anyone that I trust with my hair. I'd rather find someone mobile as I'm quite anxious. But I can't go on ruining it myself. I'll have a look at the Olaplex, I have had it once a year back but I'm a bit of a quitter and gave up after one treatment. :eek:

Any recommendations on a good shampoo and conditioner? I don't mind splashing out on them as I'll be hiding them from the kids! ;)

X

Latest posts

Back