Im Renting a room and having issues with the owner.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prinza

Reaction score
Hello everyone at Salon Geek, :)

I just registered here but i check it out once and awhile. Its so nice to have this website up because there is not that much information about the salon business.

My names Nadia and I work in Kelowna, BC, Canada. I am about to turn 24 yrs old and got my nail diploma with http://www.nailbasics.ca/ on January 2007.

Well, im having problems and im very disappointed. Im a very honest person and I know i get taken advantage of too much.. It just sucks.

Ok, I rent my room for $500/month and i payed in advance for 4 months ($2000).

The owner wants me to help out with cleaning.. am i required to do that?
Last month i just made rent (500) and nothing extra. I am here 9;30-5;30 Mon-Fri.

The reason I rented is so i can make my own hours because i live 45Mins. away...

I wanted to take friday off for my birthday but the owner made a big deal about it and said i dont even show up at 9Am. I said im here at 9 or 9 30... I dont get customers at 9Am anyway...

The employee here told the owner i missed lots of walk-in's at 9. that is bull****... i know she is lying.

anyways im not really making money... what should i do.? :(

I'll post a copy of the contract I had to sign below:
(I think that was a mistake now)

Contract -- sorry about the spelling n all that.. i cant type properlly on laptops lol

The indenture made feb 1, 2007

between califronia dreams hair studio
(address) here after called the landlord
and
nadia aziz
(adress) here called the tendant

article 1 rent
the full amount of $2000 shall be paid in advance and this will consititue the rent from feb 1 2007 to may 31 2007.

articole 2 operation of business
the tendant agrees to conduct its business continusly and in an up to date, high class and reputable manner befittimg the beauty salon. the hours of operation will be sixs days a week from 9am to 5pm, monday to sat.

article 3 renewal
the tendant ackno9wledges there is no right of renewal upon expiration of agreement

article 4 accupanxy
the tendant agrees to pay all costs of operatimb her business (Esthetician Room) including all taxes GST, PST, reimbursement to california dreams on Visa and Mastercard transactions of 5% on each transaction and on the debit tranwsactions a set fee of .25 per transaction

(signed by me and the owner)

Also, to be renting am i required to be a registerd business?

How do I pay my taxes...:cry:

I think if you are renting space, the owner really can call the shots. I have rented space in a few salons and I don't think I won't have any 'issues' until I own my space. Until that time, I feel that I have to adapt to what the salon owner wants.

If you are really unhappy, move on.

Good luck!

Urban Geek,

Thank you for your reply :)

Do i have to show up 9am to 5pm everyday? I know it says that on the contract but i talked to them before i signed it saying i cant come saturdays.. they said that is okay but didnt change the contract? I talked to them about it and they said its ok if i take days off sometimes...

I thought that if you rented space.. you were effectively self employed thus paying your own taxes and handling all your own affairs.... and could do what you pleased... and after all, you do pay in advance?

I thought that's how it worked?

Being employed, you are told by your employer when to be there and the terms of your employment.

Renting space, you should be in control of when you work, etc.

yeah thats what i thought, i work my own hours... but then she said "u signed a contract"... so i think im screwed??

yeah thats what i thought, i work my own hours... but then she said "u signed a contract"... so i think im screwed??

Did you post the whole contract above?

Yeah you did agree to work 6 days a week from those hours.. BUT.. where was the leeway for some time off??!

You're not superwoman...

hi yep thats the full contract.

and i told them im not coming in sat's. and i dont.. but it still says it on the contract? i dont know what to do :(

ive been having alot of family problems aswell so its so hard for me to show up to work when my brother is in the hospital. :-/

hi yep thats the full contract.

and i told them im not coming in sat's. and i dont.. but it still says it on the contract? i dont know what to do :(

ive been having alot of family problems aswell so its so hard for me to show up to work when my brother is in the hospital. :-/

Have you got a local business advice centre... ? Where you can get free sort of legal advice about this? That contract is very rigid.. it doesn't stipulate time off.. holidays.. which everyone is entitled to ..

.. I am sorry to hear your brother is in the hospital.. things seem so much worse when there are problems at home... but she can't exactly sue you for Breach of a dodgy contract.... don't quote me on that though! :hug:

Hi Cadence,

Theres not really anything here... Its a small town. I know thats what i was concerned about.. the days off and stuff... and im just new at this stuff. i want experice and i wanna do a 100% JOB! I really do...

I know its so hard to focous on work when there is family issues... :(

XOXO
thank you

Hi Cadence,

Theres not really anything here... Its a small town. I know thats what i was concerned about.. the days off and stuff... and im just new at this stuff. i want experice and i wanna do a 100% JOB! I really do...

I know its so hard to focous on work when there is family issues... :(

XOXO
thank you

Are you in the predicament to work from home? Or mobile? You could do your own ads... is your rent a fair bit to pay?

Hi, well i have no clientele... thats why i cant work from home. i recently just spend 100$ to advetise in sat. paper... it doesnt seem to help.

the rent is 500$ a month.. thats quite a bit..

Hi, well i have no clientele... thats why i cant work from home. i recently just spend 100$ to advetise in sat. paper... it doesnt seem to help.

the rent is 500$ a month.. thats quite a bit..

You need to build Clientele... perhaps go mobile? Leaflet drop... newsagents.. off-licences ... word of mouth.. doctors surgery's...!

At present you are bound by the contract, and it sounds like she wants you to abide by the letter to it.
Stay put & take one bite of the elephant @ a time.

Your first avenue is to arrange a time to speak with her [the boss] explain that due to unforseen circumstances you now need to make a more flexible arrangement for the good of the salon & yourself.
Be clear & precise & if she sways - stick to the argreement not matter what.

If not you need to seek legal advice as this is a legal document you signed, they can be gotten around, & someone that specializes in them needs to help you ,advice from a solicitor is my suggestion.

HtH

XX J XX

go mobile? what do u mean?

i duno guys... im getting burnt out sitting all day waituing for clients...

and i was just told now about a complaint a coustomer had a month ago. what the hell is all that about? :( :( :(

Prinza~...
Here in the USA, You are considered a self employed Nail Tech.
~You need your own business license.
~You make your own hours,
~Have a key to the salon where you work or if your room has a separate outside door, you have a key to that.
~You do your own cleaning..if you use their towels, you help out with towels.
Common courtesy is to straighten waiting room, straighten the front desk etc
This is what being self employed is about.

The owner does not supply you with clientèle. You go out and advertise for yourself.

Think of it like you renting an apartment, would you allow the landlord to tell you when you could be at the apartment and when you couldn't?
The salon owner renting a space to you is your landlord.
Neither can she tell you How to do your work or Who to do your work on.

Look under articles, I just posted a boothrental contract there this morning.

but you need to look to your state issued rules for boothrental/ self employed rules and regs as far as business licensing.

Helloooo JD's

thank you so much.
the only problem is that the contract is already signed. i think i will just leave this place when its over.

I treat everyone with respect and i want the same respect back.

this salon seems very unporfessional. :irked:

I guess this happens when you start off hey??

Latest posts

Back