Im Renting a room and having issues with the owner.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Helloooo JD's

thank you so much.
the only problem is that the contract is already signed. i think i will just leave this place when its over.

I treat everyone with respect and i want the same respect back.

this salon seems very unporfessional. :irked:

I guess this happens when you start off hey??

Experience is gained as we mature... !!

There is nothing wrong with expecting respect though.

What I meant by 'mobile' was calling to Clients homes to do the services

hi prinza, i would agree with the others, theres no point sitting waiting for clients, especially when you are paying $500 for the privelige, as soon as you are able to get away from that salon it sounds as though its draining your confidence as well as your money!
get some leaflets printed up, you don't have to spend a fortune and put adverts in shop windows, if you take the $500 a month that you have been spending on rent you could put that into promoting yourself and business. good luck!

Hi Prinza, I just want you to know.. I live in the US, and we just got in the mail a little information about laws and so on from our state board.. And in there it states:

All Self Employed Booth Renters take no direction from the salon owners..

I of course think there are exceptions, way things work around here..

Rent amounts are determined by salon quality and what the salon provides. Say a salon provides nothing but an area to do nails... Rent should be cheaper..

Say the salon provides a table, chairs, pedi chair and towels, its going to be a little more expensive..

You are responsible for your rented area.. And on anything you own you label to be yours, on anything you rental, you label to be rented by you...

Being self employed you cannot take instruction by a salon owner to work certain hours... The salon cannot be dependant on you..

They are not responsible for your problems, thats why you should have insurance..

I booth rent.. I have a table and chair and a whole room to myself provided by the salon, $325 a month... everthing else is mine, I work my own hours.. I own my own towels, I take them home and clean them.. I have a full time job and do nails nights and weekends.. Its not easy building a clientele, I've tried it once before.. I'm much better prepared this time!!

My salon owner has a control issue, but it is only appearances.. The chair has to be a certain way, that kind of thing, I deal with it.. Only because its not a big deal!! But I still can't wait to own my own location!!!

If I where you I would check with your board and find out if she can legally have a contract like that.. I don't know how things work there, but if your booth renting, you are your own boss, period.....

Good luck..

Jaylee! wow thank youuuuuuuuuu!

that really made me feel confedent... thanks for your advice. u know i think ill just quit here soon and find a better place. its not busy here at all.

also since i already paid $2000 in advance, is there any way of getting that back? i think me and my husband are planning to move to a bigger city anyways...

xoxoxo

also...

i have my nail table set outside. all the stuff... table,. chairs are mine. i only get a room... that i rarley use and the big white chair is included. i had to buy pedi, and wax epquinment.

and its 500$ a month.. its not even busy here

isnt that kind of a rip off? damn well i guess i learnt my lession

Hi Prinza, I hope all is well with your Brother.

I don't know the laws in Canada or what your tax codes are like.
But as a Salon owner that rents space to others I can tell you that... that contract would NOT fly here.

Do you have a Labor Board? Call them and ask what the Labor Laws are.
I know that Malls have a similar type agreement with Stores that rent space...Where the Store agrees to be open when the Mall is open. But I've not heard where you can apply he same rules to an Individual..?

We need JD to pop in here She also rents out.

In the US we have very clear rules about what constitutes an employee and what constitutes an independent/self employed person.
And my understanding has always been...That I as a Salon Owner have NO say in the hours someone works.

Mann, I would love to ask for 4 months rent upfront like that...holy crapp what a great deal for the salon owner.

I don't see anything in the contract about what you get out of this deal. Jeeesh! Call around see what rent is in your area. It doesn't say that you can't sub-let. Can you find a friend to share rent with you?

Really get on the phone and ask around. There are some other sites that you could ask your question ...but I won't list them here as I don't know the rules on that. Hey go back to you school and ask there too. ?? Let us know. Hang in there. :)

Latest posts

Back